PDA

View Full Version : Totally NOT Quilting

Sandy Navas
July 7th, 2014, 10:46 AM
Al and I have a wonderful friend named Boris (Boris Khechoyan: Master Woodcarver | Placentia, CA (http://www.custommade.com/by/woodcarver4u/))

He recently shared a series of pictures of some KITCHEN CABINETS he's making. I thought you may want to see one of them here:

I have absolutely no idea who the cabinets are for - but feel safe in saying no one is going to be making home fries in this kitchen.

Honduras Mahogany.

SuzyQue
July 7th, 2014, 10:48 AM
WOW! Looks like something for a church, not a kitchen. Totally not my style, but gorgeous!

Miss Sheri
July 7th, 2014, 10:49 AM
WOW!
Seriously, at first glance, I thought it was made of clay and was still saying WOW! Unbelieveable that this is carved from WOOD!

Genny
July 7th, 2014, 10:54 AM
WOW!
Seriously, at first glance, I thought it was made of clay and was still saying WOW! Unbelieveable that this is carved from WOOD!

I thought it was made from clay too!!! Beautiful!

Claire Hallman
July 7th, 2014, 11:17 AM
Amazing cabinets, he is really an artist.

Pandabear
July 7th, 2014, 11:20 AM
Dang!! I need to show this to hubby. Very impressive.

MayinJerset
July 7th, 2014, 12:27 PM
Although they aren't my style at all I have to admire the beautiful work and craftsmanship of Boris, he really is a Master Woodcarver.

Leah53
July 7th, 2014, 12:50 PM
I agree with others, not my style but superb craftmanship.

toggpine
July 7th, 2014, 12:58 PM
Funny about the home fries!
My first thought was "Beautiful!" followed immediately by "In the kitchen? That's gonna be a buggar to keep clean!"

They would be better in a den or library. Although if you have the $$$$ to commission a set of cabinets like this, you probably have the scratch to pay someone to do your cooking & cleaning. Therefore, it really wouldn't be a concern.

Annette Ackley
July 7th, 2014, 02:32 PM
Awesome wood carving. Can't imagine having in the kitchen though. Hope he is going to put some kind of polyurethane on them. Then they shouldn't be too hard to keep clean.

K. McEuen
July 7th, 2014, 03:32 PM
I like the way her made the little shelves have curls on the edges. I'm afraid I'd have to use a putty knife or chisel to clean them if they were in my kitchen. No one but me ever thinks to wipe the cabinets by the stove off and they get real tacky fast.

I wonder how long those took Boris to do and if he is married. If so his wife has plenty of time to herself while he's working. She needs to take up quilting.

stationarymom
July 8th, 2014, 03:31 AM
His work is beautiful! They look like they could have been made for a palace.

Andrea F
July 8th, 2014, 04:00 AM
Amazing work, it looks like it belongs in a french palais to me. Not really practical but so beautiful.

rebeccas-sewing
July 8th, 2014, 04:16 AM
Wow! That's incredible. What a coincidence that he lives in Placentia. We've been living there for twenty years. Small world. I'm sure he knows my neighbor, Alan. He's a wood carver as well, and I believe Alan teaches wood carving. What talent!!! How do you know this guy, Sandy? Any chance we'll see them when they are finished. Does he do the finishing work as well? I'd love to see the end result.

Blondie
July 8th, 2014, 05:16 AM
Wow. This is totally beyond my ability to figure out how in the heckfire shoot he did it. Truly an artisan.

Madeforyouinma11
July 8th, 2014, 09:00 AM
Holy cannoli! Those are some fancy cabinets. Where are they going to be when he is finished? He is an artist for sure.
Thanks for sharing.

Sandy Navas
July 8th, 2014, 10:08 AM
Wow! That's incredible. What a coincidence that he lives in Placentia. We've been living there for twenty years. Small world. I'm sure he knows my neighbor, Alan. He's a wood carver as well, and I believe Alan teaches wood carving. What talent!!! How do you know this guy, Sandy? Any chance we'll see them when they are finished. Does he do the finishing work as well? I'd love to see the end result.

We met Boris several years ago when he was living in the St. Louis, MO area. He and Al bonded and they've been in touch since - sharing wood-working stories. He moved to California a year or so after we first met him. He is one of the most down-to-earth, humble people you could ever hope to know. I hope you took a look at his website . . .

Over40momma
July 8th, 2014, 10:48 AM
Those are truly stunning works of art! The patience and understanding of wood to render such amazing pieces of cabinetry is staggering.

WendyI
July 8th, 2014, 11:48 AM
Holy crap on a cracker! THAT is an INSANE amount of work! Wow...simply amazing. So sad that craftsmanship like this is hardly valued at all anymore. Thanks for sharing Sandy.

ozziepuppy
July 8th, 2014, 12:25 PM
I totally love them! I could see them in a "storybook cottage" in the "piney woods" on a sunny winter's day, with the sun streaming in through the diamond-paned windows and the snow sparkling on the windowsills. Fresh, hot apple pie just out of the oven, quilted tablecloth, and steaming hand-ground coffee with fresh cream. Just about to sit with a very dear friend to talk about our latest quilting projects. Alas, I live in a standard tract house in the suburbs. . .

Bubby
July 8th, 2014, 01:12 PM
All I can say is Incredible!!

MRoy
July 8th, 2014, 01:31 PM
Wow! He's a real artisan!

Grandma G
July 8th, 2014, 01:41 PM
We met Boris several years ago when he was living in the St. Louis, MO area. He and Al bonded and they've been in touch since - sharing wood-working stories. He moved to California a year or so after we first met him. He is one of the most down-to-earth, humble people you could ever hope to know. I hope you took a look at his website . . .

I just looked at his website. What incredible workmanship and for those who wondered about the cost all you need to do is look at his site as he has prices on a few listed. Yeah, I would say for sure the people that commissioned those cabinets have a maid or two or three...

Thanks for sharing, Sandy! Just beautiful.

klgls
July 8th, 2014, 06:21 PM
Oh WOW - quite an artist!!