PDA

View Full Version : Our Colorado Trip

pcbatiks
July 6th, 2014, 04:06 PM
I'm a little slow posting this. In late June we went to Colorado to see our son & GF and see the sights. We had a long 17 hour drive.....each way. We had to cut our trip shorter than we originally planned but still had a good time. The longest part of the drive was across Texas......where we saw this comforting sign at a rest stop! ::icon_scared:

We stayed at St Mary's Inn B & B in Colorado Springs. If you are in the area......I highly recommend the place! :icon_tup: The house was built in 1895........pretty home.......spotless rooms.......comfy beds.......and a heavenly breakfast! It's the best pancakes & french toast I've every had. They also served eggs, sausages, fruits..... Here is the link if you are interested.

Welcome to the St. Mary's Inn (http://thestmarysinn.com/)

We went to Garden of the Gods with the kids.......very pretty place! Check out the climbers in the 2nd & 3rd pictures.....and no we didn't try that. :D

81244 81245 81246

Then we went to the nearby small town of Manitou Springs saw the town & ate pizza. I missed a great but startling photo shot. As we are driving through the little area.......a man that looked like his whole scalp had been peeled off.......strolled casually across the street in front of our car. His whole head was covered in "blood"! For a second, we were startled....our next thought was.....why is he so casually walking across the road! Then realized he was in costume. We looked across the road where he was heading & there was a group of zombies standing together. Apparently, a comic book shop was having some kind of zombie/costume event. It was funny but we didn't have a camera ready to get pictures! I found the following video on youtube of the event........the guy we saw is at the 1:33 mark in the video & other spots in the video. It was funny to see but we missed getting a picture.

The Massacre of Manitou Springs, Colorado - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUSFWKBLzPI)

The next day we went to an art museum that had an exhibit I was hoping to see by Dale Chihuly.........a glass artist with beautiful work. Here's a few pictures.

81247 81248 81249

Went to Crave Burgers in Colorado Springs.....this was mine.......with avocado slices, a huge slab of fried cheddar cheese & candied bacon. It was huge.........couldn't eat half of eat.....but it was good! :D

I posted this picture a few days ago but added it here. While we were on vacation in Colorado Springs.....we spent some time in Old Colorado City, a historic area in Co. Springs. My DH saw this quilt shop before I did........and of course I had to go in! But what I loved about it was......what I saw when I went outside the shop! Take a look at the business that is right next door! What could be better.....a place for the addicted quilter to file for bankruptcy! And if you look real close.....you will see that there is also a psychotherapist in the building! Who needs that when you have a quilt shop?! Hope you enjoy the picture..........it sure made me laugh!
By the way........the shop was very nice with all kinds of pretty fabrics & quilts. The ladies that worked there were friendly and helpful. I did show some restraint........I only bought one piece of fabric!

Hulamoon
July 6th, 2014, 04:45 PM
How wonderful. I loved your story and all the pictures! I have seen some Dale Chihuly works in person. There are some in hotels over here. So beautiful! Thanks for the mini vacation :)

Sandy Navas
July 6th, 2014, 05:16 PM
I'm digging on the fact that you got to see some Dale Chihuly up close and personal . . .

Love the B&B - thanks for the link.

Bubby
July 6th, 2014, 06:36 PM
It looks like you had a great trip!

JCY
July 6th, 2014, 10:07 PM
There's a lot to see & do in Colorado. Glad you enjoyed your visit to our state. JCY

Jean Sewing Machine
July 6th, 2014, 10:21 PM
Great pictrial journal of your trip! Dale Chihuly has to be a favorite of mine. He has a permanent exhibition in a museum next to the Space Needle in Seattle, which I saw last October, it was mindblowingly beautiful! In 2006, he did a exhbit in our botanical garden here in St. Louis. I loved it so much I went to see it 6 times. The folks here loved it so much that they bought a bunch of pieces that are a permanent part of our garden here.

pcbatiks
July 6th, 2014, 10:21 PM
There's a lot to see & do in Colorado. Glad you enjoyed your visit to our state. JCY

Wish we could have done more........but we'll be back! :)

Familyjournals
July 6th, 2014, 11:51 PM
We were just in Colorado too! So much fun! Dale Chihuly did some amazing pieces for the 2002 Olympics in SLC. We still have this Olympic tower masterpiece in our symphony hall. Dale Chihuly - Artist - OLYMPIC TOWER, 2002 (http://www.chihuly.com/olympic-tower-2002_detail.aspx)