PDA

View Full Version : We're doing it again!

sherryl
July 6th, 2014, 11:55 AM
About 6 years ago, hubby and I wanted to go somewhere for a vacation, but neither of us could decide where. One day he called me up from work and said we should just go to the end of the driveway and flip a coin. So that is exactly what we did! We flipped our way from the end of our driveway in NW Missouri all the way to the Great Salt Lake before we had to turn toward home. It was so much fun we decided to do it again this year. Our rules are pretty simple: we take only state highways, no interstates (except when we are zipping back home); approaching a diverging path we flip the coin-heads we go right, tails we go either straight on or left (if tails, we flip again, heads we go straight, tails we go left); no backtracking the way we just came from; if we see a road sign for something we want to go see, we head for that attraction and begin our coin tossing again from there. The first thing we saw a sign for on the last trip was the geographic center of the lower 48. We found it and flipped the coin. The next site we saw was where an Indian massacre had occurred in Nebraska between Pawnee and Sioux. The US cavalry apparently broke up the battle, but not before many of the Pawnee had been killed. Among other sites and scenery we saw were a buffalo jump, Dancing Leaf Cultural Center, a petrified wood and agate collection, Crescent Lake Nat'l Wildlife Refuge, a sod house and Pony Express station, my hubby's grandmother's old ranch site near Cody NE, Wounded Knee memorial, Ft. Robinson, SD badlands, Black Hills, Devil's Tower, Bighorn Mountains, Yellowstone Park (yes, we saw Old Faithful!), a rodeo, Beartooth Pass, Pompey's Pillar, prairie dog town, Gallatin Nat'l Forest, the headwaters of the Missouri, Our Lady of the Rockies, Philipsburg MT, did some gem panning, Dinosaur Monument & Natural History Museum in Vernal UT, and of course, the Great Salt Lake. We made no advance reservations for hotels except for when we got near Yellowstone. Only had a little trouble finding a vacancy once and that was near Rapid City. It was a great trip which we are ready to do again! I will let you know where we end up!

Angelia
July 6th, 2014, 12:09 PM
Have a wonderful trip--I'll be curious to see where you go! :)

Vonnie
July 6th, 2014, 12:15 PM
Have fun! Looking forward to pictures!

ilive2craft2
July 6th, 2014, 12:26 PM
That sounds like a blast! Safe travels!

Amarillo19
July 6th, 2014, 01:22 PM
You need to start a blog and write about your adventures. I bet lots of people would be interested. Put pictures of the places you go and what you see there. You could call it something like Coin-Flip Adventures or Coin-Flip Travels.

Sandy Navas
July 6th, 2014, 01:53 PM
Well, be sure to honk and wave when you go by my house. How fun is this? I want to try it.

Monique
July 6th, 2014, 03:06 PM
It is fun to take a trip by the seat of your pants. That's what hubby and I do.

laf512
July 6th, 2014, 03:16 PM
What a fun idea!! Enjoy your trip!

kensington
July 6th, 2014, 03:24 PM
Good luck with that! Have fun!

Sylvia H
July 6th, 2014, 04:41 PM
You are true adventurers! I am sure with that spirit you will have a wonderful vacation.

Spudgrandma
July 6th, 2014, 05:06 PM
That sounds like a great way to vacation. I hope you have a wonderful time.

SallyO'Sews
July 7th, 2014, 11:36 PM
How cool is this? What a great idea. Hope you have another grand adventure! Don't forget to post pics.

bubba
July 7th, 2014, 11:39 PM
This sounds like great fun!

Terry L
July 7th, 2014, 11:41 PM
I would ask if I could sneak in the trunk but after making Leah53 Peach Delight I won't fit so I'll just wish you safe and wonderful trip :D

Gina
July 8th, 2014, 12:49 AM
That sounds really cool! Have fun! I will have to tell the hubby about that see if we can try it next year!

Suzette
July 8th, 2014, 08:13 AM
Sounds like an awesome way to vacation! I can't wait to hear how this one turns out and read about the places you end up visiting! Safe travels!! :icon_bigsmile:

Oh, and I LOVE the idea about blogging along the way. If you do this, let us know so we can follow along with you. :icon_bigsmile:

Bneighbor
July 8th, 2014, 09:44 AM
This is on my "Bucket List". Hubby and I have a motor home and have talked about a trip like this. My parents are aging and Daddy is suffering from Dementia, so leaving on a trip like this would be hard. Told my mom we wanted to do this and she said "go, do it. Your dad and I always wanted to try this but we got old and sick and never got a chance." Instead we decided to do short trips, three day styles. We are trying to get acquainted with our youngest grandchild as we are trying to get custody of him. His father (our son) passed away in January and his drug/alcoholic mother got custody. Because of situations, we never saw him but a few times. He is 14 and we have had a chance to start a relationship. I told him about these small trips and he lit up, asking if it was alright for him to go. We are SO EXCITED to include him. We feel we can vacation, show him how real families live and bring him into our home where he will feel wanted.
I am so glad you had such a great time. This thread inspired me. Sorry to take it and put sadness into it, but happy will happen for us.