PDA

View Full Version : Friendly Fourth of July reminder for those with Furbabies

Auntpiggylpn
July 3rd, 2014, 10:24 PM
Many of our furbabies become very frightened by the loud booms, pops & crackles of fireworks. More pets escape and are lost in the first part of July than any other time of year! Please keep your furry ones secured and safe during this celebratory season.

ETA: We were able to adopt Zeuss, one of the greatest German Shepherds that we have ever had due to him running scared on the Fourth if July. He was picked up by Animal Control during the late hours of July 4th and unfortunately, his family did not claim him from the shelter. We had him for 5 wonderful years until he was taken too soon at the young age of 7 yo by cancer.

Sandy Navas
July 3rd, 2014, 10:30 PM
I was just telling Al that as much as I am proud to be an American and truly believe in celebrating our Independence on July 4th, I certainly wish the fireworks could at least be 'contained' more. Within 100 feet of our driveway is a fireworks stand - they set off fireworks for three weeks - every day, every night. In less than another half mile there are two more huge stands - likewise. About 1/2 mile away there is another guy who has a license and sets of fireworks for every imaginable occasion throughout the year . . . yes, we have a dog and he HATES it. We are constantly having to calm and reassure him.

What's the solution? We keep him close and love on him and try top keep him calm. He doesn't like his ear-plugs . . . poor thing.

stitching woman
July 3rd, 2014, 10:58 PM
Yes our yorkie gets so upset I have to hold him when the fireworks start. Wish they could keep the fireworks for just the 4th and not the whole month.

Auntpiggylpn
July 3rd, 2014, 11:07 PM
I too wish fireworks were more closely regulated. We have a Malinois/German Shepherd mix who is deathly afraid of the sounds as well as gunfire. He is pretty high strung anyway due to being part Malinois and he is also a rescue dog. We don't know what his history is but he only weighed 52#, was heart worm positive and deathly afraid of men & loud noises when we adopted him. His Thundershirt was a complete waste of $42! We do have Acepromazine to give him when he is on the ledge, ready to jump but we try to save that as a last resort. Our cats are all hiding and the youngest one is under the stairwell, howling. It's gonna be a loooonnnggg weekend. . .
My Schnoodle is scrunched up between my legs as we are lying in bed. My 15 yo Pomeranian (my avatar) is fast asleep on his side with a leg up in the air; nothing phases him!!!

Midge
July 4th, 2014, 01:08 AM
Thanks for this thread, Aunt Piggy. So sorry you lost your Zeus. I too have a rescue dog who took a long, long time to calm down after his life on "the mean streets" and his brief but terrifying sentence to doggy jail. I was so lucky to impulsively go to the shelter the very morning he was picked up. He started out afraid of everything. Bags of trash at the curb on trash pickup day, kids' bikes parked in their front yards, all other dogs, and most especially men. Men with hoodies. Men with watch caps. Took a long time. He still gets very upset over novel things. He has learned that most people are not a problem. But still highly suspicious of joggers. But I am so relieved that he is not afraid of thunderstorms, and while he gets worried with fireworks, he doesn't freak out. I just stay with him and let him sit on the couch with me.

Kgrammiecaz
July 4th, 2014, 01:49 AM
Now with a furball in the house I too have to be aware. There have been some going on, stragglers, tonight and everytime a pop is heard my little 5 momth old kitty just sits up, her ears perk up and after a minute she just lies back down. Sort of funny to watch

I will say a prayer that our beautiful babies are all safe thru this holiday weekend.

stationarymom
July 4th, 2014, 02:47 AM
Don't forget that there are many service people that will be affected by all the loud noises,so if you have fire works and live near any vets please inform them before you have your fun.

Suzette
July 4th, 2014, 07:55 AM
Thanks for posting this Auntpiggy! Yes, sadly, more dogs get loose and run scared on the 4th of July in the US than any other day of the year. They are just so frightened by all the noise. Please do keep a collar with a tag on your pooch (even if micro-chipped) and be super careful when opening outside doors and when taking your dog in and out.

For those with dogs sensitive to the sound of fireworks (or nervous for any reason, like thunder, being left alone, etc.) look into the CD's Through a Dog's Ear. They can work very, very well for some dogs. I have them for my dog and it doesn't work miracles, but when she was younger and bit more uncertain, it did help to keep her calmer during times when she was stressed.

whippetmom
July 4th, 2014, 10:55 AM
Happy 4th of July to all of you. Yes our little ones get very scared and I have to do three things today and tonight.
Close all windows all day, keep air conditioner on, with calm music or TV on.
Use some Thunder Shirts I made for them, really keeps them calm.
And I have some medication for two of them (the third one does not freak out like the boys) , I will give it soon and keep them inside.
I also make an area just for them especially at night. We have a walk in closet, so I put a couple of sleeping bags that they can go lay under our hanging cloths and make a bed for themselves. It is dark and they feel more secure.
I hate the fireworks and get very angry with people that do not consider all the animals around and little children also that are scared of noises. They have wonderful firework displays by cities, they should all go there to watch them. Just my 2 cents worth.

Dollyquilts
July 4th, 2014, 11:30 AM
It's 9:30 a.m. here in Texas. They are shooting fireworks on my street. I only heard one aerial go off, but my little rescue mixed-breed is glued to my side trembling. He obviously hears things I can't. He'll be a basket case if this goes on until midnight tonight. My little doxie couldn't care less.

When I lived in the country, I had a neighbor who threw a family barbecue every 4th. As soon as it got dark, he would start with the fireworks aimed at my barn. By the 4th we always had a load of hay in a bay facing his place, which was the only place we could store it. I had to sit out there with a water hose at the ready to put out any stray shots. He never caught it on fire, but it wasn't for lack of trying or stupidity. If we had horses stalled, we always put tampons in their ears to lessen the noise.

NanceeCee
July 5th, 2014, 10:20 AM
I have had my "shelter pup" for a year now, and last night she slept in her crate in another room instead of her bed in our room because a neighbor was setting off fireworks (her choice, door open and she stayed there all night). This morning she was still too frightened to go outside and I had to take her out on a leash to do her business. I don't deny anyone the right to enjoy them, but don't understand the appeal of loud noises and choose not to buy them or use them. But I have purchased fireworks fabric...

Tina W
July 5th, 2014, 10:21 AM
I just came back from the emergency vet with my little boy pom. He has been so worked up this past week with all the storms and the fire works he just got very sick this morning. The vet said he is just very stressed out. I don't know why people have to let off fireworks all night long and into the wee hours of the morning. I will keep him as calm as I can today and just talk to him when he gets excited .
Everyone have a get weekend.

Auntpiggylpn
July 5th, 2014, 11:22 AM
I just came back from the emergency vet with my little boy pom. He has been so worked up this past week with all the storms and the fire works he just got very sick this morning. The vet said he is just very stressed out. I don't know why people have to let off fireworks all night long and into the wee hours of the morning. I will keep him as calm as I can today and just talk to him when he gets excited .
Everyone have a get weekend.

As a Pommy Mommy too, I hope your little guy is feeling better soon! Our Pommy is a rescue dog that we have had for 2 years. We adopted him at the ripe young age of 14 years old! From what I understand, Toby is unlike other Pommies. He is extremely layed back and pretty much nothing phases him. We call him our "Convenient Dog". He takes changes to his routine all in stride and doesn't get his fur ruffled by much. We used to foster for our local Animal Care & Control and Toby just accepted the never ending parade of dogs that went through our home. Our Shepherds on the other hand took time to accept the visitors but warmed up quickly. Toby sleeps thru thunderstorms and all the fireworks the last couple of days. Our Schnoodle Louie, who was our last foster (yes, we are Foster Failures!) gets all nervous and shaky even by a gentle rain. The fireworks had him crawling all over us and it took a long time before he calmed enough to go to sleep. I hope your Pommy is able to tolerate the rest of this weekend without any major problems!

sherryl
July 6th, 2014, 11:12 AM
We live in a rural area with not many houses real close by, but of course fireworks can be heard from pretty good distances. So we were curious to see how our Chessie dog would do because our neighbors did a few fireworks and we planned to do a few ourselves. We got our girl through PetFinders and she was 3 to 4 years old when she came to live with us. The first couple of years we had her we did not do fireworks, just worked out that way. This year I sat on the deck with her at my side and I just kept stroking her, letting her know by my calm demeanor that everything was ok. As the fireworks, all night ones, were lit, she would sometimes turn to look at the source of the sound with that quizzical cock of the head like dogs do when they are trying to figure something out. The first time a really noisy one went off she stepped behind my chair, but I just kept reassuring her and she seemed to get through it fine. She mostly seemed to be trying to figure out what we were doing and why we were doing it.