PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday Greetings

Blondie
July 2nd, 2014, 07:30 AM

Hello Folksies!

Popping in really quick for a cheery Happy Wednesday!

I worked my part time summer job yesterday - filled a few more boxes with items in the basement. Mostly magazines and books. Inch by inch I am getting there. I do believe it will take me longer than I thought, but then, I am being quite thorough. The most exciting thing I did yesterday was sit on the porch last evening and watch the lightning bugs perform their nightly show.

Last evening I made an exceptional meal of fried chicken. Most of the time I bake it. Yesterday, I threw caution to the wind and said, Heckfire, shoot! Today we shall eat FRIED! It was so good to this chicken disliker that I had a second chicken strip.

Florida and East Coasters - be careful out there. I just heard that a hurricane is brewing. I am far enough inland that it most likely will give us some rain.

Blessings, prayers and smiles to each one.

Bubby
July 2nd, 2014, 07:37 AM
Morning Blondie & Everyone,

We're inching up on the 4thof July weekend. I think we will work in Cuba Friday and take the rest of the weekend off.

We had storms off and on all day yesterday, which means unplugging and replugging everything. We get some whopper storms here. This morning it's so humid you could almost drink it. We have to mow this evening after making a trip to town for gas.

I started working on DD's quilt again yesterday and I'm to the point of sewing the rows together. I hope to have this quilt to Reggie by the end of next week to allow her plenty of time to work on it and for me to bind and ship it.

Wishing everyone a great Wednesday. Hugs all around....

HandsomeRyan
July 2nd, 2014, 07:39 AM
Morning Blondie and all.

I keep seeing these posts about getting decluttered but I still haven't found the motivation. I'll declutter vicariously through you.

Of course because I bragged about how good Sawyer was sleeping he was a wild man last night. At least he is cute! I made him a bunch of baby food last night. Sweet potatoes with cinnamon, Butternut squash, and beets with apples. I ♥ my immersion blender!

I came to work early this morning with the intention of getting some mileage in on one of my bicycles. I did 12.5 miles on Monday on the C&O Canal (http://bikewashington.org/canal/) but I thought pavement might be nice to I intended to do a 10.something mile loop near my office. I got abut 3 miles in and turned off the trail to head back to my office. Simply too hot and my legs are still sore from Monday.

At least it's not snowing. :)

Hope everyone has a good day and smiles a lot.
Work today then rearranging my sewing room and still working on this cutting table thing.

Monique
July 2nd, 2014, 08:00 AM
Good morning everyone. I had a busy Canada Day yesterday. I did get to pick some strawberries in the morning. We had quite a storm in the afternoon. A little town about 1/2 hour from us got hit hard. Trees down, that kind of thing. As of yet, they have not confirmed a tornado. The parade went ahead and the fireworks were spectacular as usual.

I will try and get some jam made this afternoon when I get home from work.

Have a great day everyone.

buckeyequilter
July 2nd, 2014, 09:03 AM

Good morning....

Whoohoo....last day of work this week. I don't come back until next Tuesday. I checked on an order that has a charm pack I need and it should be delivered tomorrow, so I hope to finish that quilt top sometime this week-end.

I think I'll clean the house when I get home from work so I have the whole day tomorrow to myself.

Well need to get busy since I've got the next few days off. Have a great day!

WendyI
July 2nd, 2014, 09:30 AM
well looks like I will actually make a morning thread in the morning for a change! lol.

I am off work today...so extra long weekend for me as Mon and Tues were stat holidays for me. Today I have to pick my mother up at the nursing home and take her to the hospital for her pre-anaesthesia appointment. She has six teeth left in her wee head and all have to be removed. But since she is schizophrenic AND in stage 2 (at least)of COPD/emphysema it's risky. So have to meet with them...then might bring her back here to see our new trailer which she has not seen yet.

After that I am coming home to sew. My Mend in Minutes disaster was not too bad afterall! It dried clear so t-shirts might be saved! (posted about it somewhere....maybe General).

typing and texting seem annoying for me lately and I'm not sure why....so I'm off to try and sew some more. Have yourselves an amazing day everyone!

P.S. Bubby...you really have to explain to me what Cuba is one of these days. The first time I saw you mention it I thought you meant actual Cuba with like Castro and Beaches...but then I remembered American's can't go to Cuba is that still the case? LOL! Anyway...why do you always go "work" there if you are retired...inquiring minds wanna know!

irishrn
July 2nd, 2014, 09:51 AM
Good morning all!! Waiting to hear if we might get some much needed rain from the storm approaching. I'm right in the middle of NC and they often pass us by! (Though we have had some whoppers here over the years!). Spent yesterday making my very first pot of homemade sauce and meatballs after attending my first cooking class last week! I spent way too much time in the kitchen and no time in the sewing room!! Won't be doing that too often, but when I do it will be a big batch with freezing meals after. It did turn out GOOD! ( my husband has described prior meatball attempts as: " with a 9 iron I could send it 300 yards!!) his DGD#6 is visiting from NYC and she helps so much so we made zucchini bread to send back with her on the plane today!! Won't get to the sewing room before Friday morning! Tackeling a California King quilt for my bed! Celtic pattern. Need to get it done!!
Hope everyone has a great holiday weekend. Stay safe if Arthur is hearing your way!!

Sandy Navas
July 2nd, 2014, 10:10 AM
I'll be at M* today.

What else can I say?

Be safe, be happy, be industrious, be inquisitive, be well, and just BE!!

ravelim
July 2nd, 2014, 10:13 AM
We live near Sioux City,Iowa where they have a record amt of rainfall for June - 16.35" . Holy buckets, we have had rain but not that much. Can you imagine that in one month. We've had flooding here where it's hard to get around but fortunately hasn't affected our particular property . DD had some water in basement but didn't hurt anything. They are next to the Missouri river. We are next to the Little Sioux river that always floods.

DG went to Florida, in the panhandlers area,yesterday. After living with us for 6weeks,I really miss her.

ravelim
July 2nd, 2014, 10:17 AM
Ok, my tablet quit on me. Must be I was complaining too much .lol.

It is to be a great weather day here today. Yea!

We have several errands to run. My t-shirt quilt is coming along. My DH loves it.

Have a great day everyone. Hugs to all who need them.

MRoy
July 2nd, 2014, 10:28 AM
Good morning! Sandy Navas, I envy you!! If the rain holds off, I'm jumping on the mower as soon as the dew dries off the grass and mowing the yard. It's cooler here this morning and less humid so I think I'll get some steps on my Fitbit while I'm waiting. Have a great Wednesday everyone!

Jean Sewing Machine
July 2nd, 2014, 10:29 AM
Good morning all!

From our curious friend Wendy from Canada--
S. Bubby...you really have to explain to me what Cuba is one of these days. The first time I saw you mention it I thought you meant actual Cuba with like Castro and Beaches...but then I remembered American's can't go to Cuba is that still the case? LOL! Anyway...why do you always go "work" there if you are retired...inquiring minds wanna know!

I'll chime in here, because I lived and worked in CUBA, MO for twelve years. It's a small town about 3500 people in mid-Missouri, on I-44 about 80 miles west of St. Louis. Bubby used to live there and has rental apartments there. They live about 40 miles away now. They work really hard to be extra good landlords, keeping the apartments nice. One of my teachers lived in their apartments. I was the principal of the tiny Catholic school in Cuba for 7-1/2 years. Wish I had known Barb when I lived there but I wasn't a quilter then. I think the name of the town came back in the 1800s before any negative issues with Cuba the country. There is some legend about how the name was chosen, I don't remember it exactly, something about trying to decide one of two names, and they chopped down a tree and depending on which way it fell, one of the names was chosen.. It's a lovely little town with wonderful people living there. I had to move back to St. Louis because my husband needed special health care, which was not available in that area. I would still be there today had it not been for that circumstance! There is a beautiful lake community nearby, that's what drew us down ther in the first place, and was our first Cuba home. Second was 160 acres of property with a beautiful home and a 5 acre lake. Loved that place, and long for the lake view very often. When my husband passed, I knew I couldn't keep it up by myself, so I sold it.

So, Wendy, there's the story of Cuba, Mo. Look it up on Google maps. Love that app! I look at my old home and the pretty lake often through Google maps. Memories!

Going into the sewing room this morning and going to get lots done! Got laundry done and dishwasher going, now it's time to sew costumes.

Over40momma
July 2nd, 2014, 10:35 AM
Top of the morning to you all!
Was a great Canada Day yesterday, hubby wasn't stuck on the road trying to get home. :lol: So we had a family "Pull the Weeds" morning which was more fun because the kids were complaining and we just laughed at the memories it brought back to us when we were growing up. Humidity has been a killer, even when it rains it does not relieve it. Keeping good thoughts to all who are getting the severe storm warnings, looks like it's going to be a wild summer.

Bought a spindly little cherry tomato plant at the store on the weekend. Already have had 6 tomatoes off it and were they delicious!!! Poor thing needed some real gentle nursing but it's thriving and even put out new leaves and looks healthy again. Hubby constantly laughs at me for bringing home the most ill-looking plants. But every living thing deserves a home and I have yet to have one of my 'sicklings' die. In fact, it is like they were waiting for us......and boy do they grow once they are home. :icon_woohoo:

Been working on my oldest daughter's duvet cover. Almost to the finish line. Have only one seam to hem and then add the velcro closures. Got a mess of 10" squares cut for my other daughter's quilt. She wants a Big Star Quilt with the stars in all shades of pink on a black background. The reverse side is in a gorgeous mottled green (shades of hunter green to a light grass green). As my throat of my machine is only 6", I have opted to try the Quilt As You Go block method and see how that works for me.

Have a great day everyone and blessed be.

Mpyles
July 2nd, 2014, 11:05 AM
Good morning! I'm off today...due to tomorrow being a huge business day at work...and I have to be there...

Jean your history lesson was great! I would also add it's along Route 66 and has the famous wagon wheel restaurant and hotel there, as well as the first city in Missouri to adopt a highway! One of the Steak 'n Shake I managed in springfield became a historic place on Route 66...you can still get carhop service there!

Gonna work in the garage and sew a bit!

Have a great day!

Spudgrandma
July 2nd, 2014, 11:07 AM
Good morning all. It sounds like everyone is busy today. I sure hope I feel like doing some sewing today. I did get some fabric washed and I have the iron on to get some fabric ironed and then maybe I can get some cut.

It is supposed to be 101 here today so if I'm going to get anything done I had best get busy. LOL

Have a wonderful day everyone!

kensington
July 2nd, 2014, 11:19 AM
I'll be at M* today.

What else can I say?

Be safe, be happy, be industrious, be inquisitive, be well, and just BE!!

Was there a class today? I hadn't heard. I'm sitting here waiting for the Electrician, but if I hopped in the car NOW... I could be there. Only a bit late. BUMMER!

What was I thinking? That stinketh!

Like I said, I am waiting on the Electrician. This guy is driving me nuts. Dh hired him to do four small jobs and in a week he has managed to finish ONE! It took about an hour. The other days he just pops in to say he hasn't got the ladder he needs or has to buy supplies or ... this one is great... "Since I got here so late, I'll just go home and come back tomorrow".

It cost us 200.00 for him to unhook one ceiling fan and put up a new one. He poked a hole in our ceiling that now has to be filled and painted. AND he took the old Fan home with him. (I should have charged him for it!). Today is his last day, no telling what it will cost me. But, done or not... today is his last day. Hopefully I will have 2 flood lights in the back for the pool when he is done.

And I missed the Haunt class!! Oh jeesh.... someone feel sorry for me, will ya?

toggpine
July 2nd, 2014, 12:42 PM
Good Morning!

It was too hot here yesterday. We were at 95 when I told hubby we were done working on the new barn. The sheet metal was too hot to hold to cut! I did get the rest of it washed after it cooled off at about 7PM. (We are using left-over metal from the construction of the two big buildings 5 & 10 years ago, and some of it was pretty dirty.)

It's a much cooler start to the day already! We have a marine layer that is keeping us cool. I'll be headed out to water the garden and then see how much help I can be with the barn. If I'm just in the way, I'll trim some more hooves or pull weeds. Two never ending jobs!

Hopefully I'll feel like getting to the sewing room tonight!

Hugs, C

P.S. Marilyn, I'd make sure it was his last day too. Actually, I would have probably fired him before now.
I'd also deduct the cost of the fan and something for the hole in the ceiling. But, I can a witch about stuff like that. Sorry you missed your M* class too.

Jean Sewing Machine
July 2nd, 2014, 01:33 PM
From Mary Pyl
Jean your history lesson was great! I would also add it's along Route 66 and has the famous wagon wheel restaurant and hotel there, as well as the first city in Missouri to adopt a highway! One of the Steak 'n Shake I managed in springfield became a historic place on Route 66...you can still get carhop service there!

Cuba is now called The Mural City. In 2001, they began painting the sides of ugly building with historical scenes. Amelia Earhart flew into there one day, and Betty Davis came through town also. There were Civil War battles nearby, and it is the gateway to the Ozarks float stream resorts. All of these wete depicted in murals. They are wonderful works of art!

http://cubamomurals.com/murals/

Lilly
July 2nd, 2014, 04:06 PM
I love this thread - been lurking for a while now. Today's history lesson was wonderful, thank you Jean! Ravelim - what is a DG? Man, that is bugging me; Dear Girl? Darn Good? What on earth!
I should have been sewing hours ago. Perfect weather to be in my normally hot sewing porch. I love this cool wave we've been having. Better get off my "perch" as the neighbor calls my couch - and get my Sis's placemats done. Stay safe all you in the East.

BobW
July 2nd, 2014, 04:50 PM
Good morning all!

From our curious friend Wendy from Canada--
S. Bubby...you really have to explain to me what Cuba is one of these days. The first time I saw you mention it I thought you meant actual Cuba with like Castro and Beaches...but then I remembered American's can't go to Cuba is that still the case? LOL! Anyway...why do you always go "work" there if you are retired...inquiring minds wanna know!

I'll chime in here, because I lived and worked in CUBA, MO for twelve years. It's a small town about 3500 people in mid-Missouri, on I-44 about 80 miles west of St. Louis. Bubby used to live there and has rental apartments there. They live about 40 miles away now. They work really hard to be extra good landlords, keeping the apartments nice. One of my teachers lived in their apartments. I was the principal of the tiny Catholic school in Cuba for 7-1/2 years. Wish I had known Barb when I lived there but I wasn't a quilter then. I think the name of the town came back in the 1800s before any negative issues with Cuba the country. There is some legend about how the name was chosen, I don't remember it exactly, something about trying to decide one of two names, and they chopped down a tree and depending on which way it fell, one of the names was chosen.. It's a lovely little town with wonderful people living there. I had to move back to St. Louis because my husband needed special health care, which was not available in that area. I would still be there today had it not been for that circumstance! There is a beautiful lake community nearby, that's what drew us down ther in the first place, and was our first Cuba home. Second was 160 acres of property with a beautiful home and a 5 acre lake. Loved that place, and long for the lake view very often. When my husband passed, I knew I couldn't keep it up by myself, so I sold it.

So, Wendy, there's the story of Cuba, Mo. Look it up on Google maps. Love that app! I look at my old home and the pretty lake often through Google maps. Memories!

Going into the sewing room this morning and going to get lots done! Got laundry done and dishwasher going, now it's time to sew costumes.

Just a little side note, not far from Cuba, MO is the town of Japan, MO.

Mpyles
July 2nd, 2014, 05:16 PM

And up the road Mexico and Paris....we are just a little world in our own! Lol

Jean Sewing Machine
July 2nd, 2014, 06:41 PM
Pronounced as Jay-pan by the locals. We used to go to church there, wonderful little parish with the greatest pastor ever!

Blondie
July 2nd, 2014, 06:42 PM
No wonder I like Missourians so much. Y'all are a special kind of fruitcake. I mean this in the most sincere way, since I tend to enjoy the fool out of a good fruitcake.

kensington
July 2nd, 2014, 06:55 PM
And up the road Mexico and Paris....we are just a little world in our own! Lol

Don't forget California Mo.

kensington
July 2nd, 2014, 06:56 PM
No wonder I like Missourians so much. Y'all are a special kind of fruitcake. I mean this in the most sincere way, since I tend to enjoy the fool out of a good fruitcake.

I love fruitcake! Have you ever ordered from Collins?

Soooo Good! https://www.collinstreet.com/pages/online_bakery_gift/deluxe_fruitcake?t=s_go_kw_fruitcake&gclid=CjgKEAjw286dBRDmwbLi8KP71GQSJAAOk4sjA14HI4Ra kuqE-Ib_f6VF6dzCEgdhc4w61VJ-x7MLJ_D_BwE

Sandy Navas
July 2nd, 2014, 08:13 PM
And . . . Knob Noster and Knob Lick, Podunk . . . Amsterdam (yes!) and even Holland, Beverly Hills, Versailles, and Vienna . . .

BellasQuilts
July 2nd, 2014, 10:00 PM
I'm going into withdrawals, folks. I have to find a place to set up my machine.

Ginny B
July 2nd, 2014, 10:33 PM
What a great Wednesday thread here today. I learned so much about Missouri. Of course, I'm thinking that the best place is Hamilton. Everyone is dealing with a bunch of weather - we just had a doozy of a t-storm go through. I guess we've got a bit of a break and then more will be arriving tomorrow into Friday - courtesy of Arthur.

I hope all our Canadian friends had a good Canada Day yesterday. I meant to get on here and send greetings to our Northern neighbors but wound up working on some spreadsheets for work yesterday evening. I don't plan on doing that sort of thing very much but I really needed to have these things done for a noon meeting today and I wanted to be sure I had all the right things in the right places. I am really learning a lot in this new position -- also learning that I can do a lot of things I thought I couldn't. The pace of work is a lot easier. There are times (like yesterday afternoon/evening) where there is a bit of pressure to get things done but nobody is breathing down my neck. They just let me get it done. I feel so much more relaxed and confident in myself.

Tonight, no "work" work - instead I worked on some potholders and this morning before I left for work, I finished a flannel baby blanket for a friend who just became a grandma. There have been soooo many babies born around us lately. Love making things for those precious arrivals.

Have a wonderful Thursday everyone. I get out at 4:00 tomorrow and then a nice 3-day weekend. it may be raining but that's ok. I will spend some time with my fabric.