PDA

View Full Version : POLL: Are you Left or Right Handed?

BellasQuilts
July 1st, 2014, 11:34 PM
Another thread got me thinkin - how many of us are left handed!

sidesaddles
July 2nd, 2014, 12:37 AM
Me...but I use my right hand for many things, like calculator, computer mouse, some cutting,,etc

laura44
July 2nd, 2014, 01:49 AM
I write left but can do most things with either hand

bubba
July 2nd, 2014, 01:53 AM
But I play baseball and putt putt golf right handed. I also crochet right handed!

sewlucky
July 2nd, 2014, 01:55 AM
I'm more left than right...lol

Sew Perfect
July 2nd, 2014, 02:02 AM
When I saw this thread, I just knew I had to answer the call. I am left handed, though, I've learned to do some things right handed. I've learned to crochet right handed, I bat right handed, and use my mouse right handed. I use right handed scissors with my left hand. I guess I can say, as a left handed person, I've learned to do some right handed things in a right handed world. LOL

Cathy F
July 2nd, 2014, 06:20 AM
I would say I'm left handed when I write on paper, right handed when I write on a cake ( cake decorator), I quilt with my right hand, use my left for throwing a ball or bowling, use right handed scissors. Depends on the task and whichhand feels more comfortable doing it.

pcrihfield
July 2nd, 2014, 07:09 AM
Very dominate left handed. I do everything left handed. Sewing is the only thing that I do without having to figure out how to do backwards. Lol. I crochet and knit left handed.

Bubby
July 2nd, 2014, 07:51 AM
I'm right handed naturally, but I have arthritis in that hand now and I have to do more things left handed. I still can't write left handed but most other things aren't a problem.

irishrn
July 2nd, 2014, 10:23 AM
I'm a right handed MOM with two left handed children!! Not sure how that happened. Their father was right handed too!!!
I was one of 6 children, 1 left handed!! Both of my parents right handed!!

tamsterg7
July 2nd, 2014, 06:22 PM
Totally lefty - might as well tie the RH behind my back. Quite the challenge teaching my RH daughter to tie shoes, iron, etc. At least our second one was a lefty!

Nene
July 2nd, 2014, 08:07 PM
I am right handed but came from a family of left handers. Both my parents, my two brothers, and my four sisters are all left handed, I am the only right hander in the bunch. Must be the mail man's. LOL.

sewlucky
July 2nd, 2014, 08:10 PM
My husband and I are both lefties and all three of our kids are righties, lol. My maternal great grandmother was a lefty, my maternal uncle is a lefty and my eldest sister is a lefty and I have a lefty niece...

New York Sue
July 2nd, 2014, 09:12 PM
Now, this is INTERESTING!!
I've learned predominately from Jenny, and Amy Gibbons (You Tube, Craftsy)....
Both are lefties. And the lefties are STRONG in your poll!
Good stuff!

BellasQuilts
July 2nd, 2014, 09:59 PM
This is really interesting!

K. McEuen
July 2nd, 2014, 10:11 PM
And the lefties are STRONG in your poll!

The title of the thread may be skewing the poll results too. I didn't bother checking in until now, because it asks who is left handed. Since I'm not, I didn't check in to answer. There are probably a lot of others that haven't because of that as well.

Out of the 6 people in my immediate family my brother was the only leftie.

Henstax
July 3rd, 2014, 08:21 PM
I'm a leftie, but use scissors right-handed. Also knit right-handed. Our elder son writes right-handed but eats left-handed. When he uses a bow and arrow he's right-handed, but uses a left-hand gun.

sewlucky
July 3rd, 2014, 08:28 PM
Can we change the title of the thread?

BellasQuilts
July 3rd, 2014, 09:06 PM
I dont' think I can!

sewlucky
July 3rd, 2014, 09:08 PM
Maybe Karen can. She's magic!

Madeforyouinma11
July 3rd, 2014, 09:10 PM
I am left handed but have learned to do many things right handed growing up in a right handed world. I do knit, crochet and do my hand sewing as a lefty.mi cut with my right hand, rotary cut with both, I bowl with my right hand and I used to be a banquet waitress and carried my trays on my right side. I voted ambidextrous, but my dominant hand is left.

K. McEuen
July 3rd, 2014, 09:10 PM
Ta Da! I knew I could change it, but wanted to make sure that Megan knew it was happening.

K. McEuen
July 3rd, 2014, 09:18 PM
Like I said, my brother is a lefty. I am 9 years younger than him and for several years I sat to his left at the dinner table and always got in trouble for being so messy or taking so long to finish dinner. What no one ever noticed was every time I would go to take a bite and he was doing the same thing, his elbow would hit mine and knock my food off my fork. It got to the point that I would sit and not eat until he was finished unless it was something I could eat with my fingers and actually hold on to. I guess when I was about 8 I finally got tired of getting scolded about dinner all the time and said "If Jimmy didn't bump me all the time, I wouldn't be messy or take so long!" My mom had the light bulb over the head look and from then on he and I swapped places and all was well.

He played baseball growing up and batted as a switch hitter. He could hit equally well from either side of the plate. Later on in life he and a friend went to an open try out for the Texas Rangers. At the time he was probably 10 years older than most of the players, other than Nolan Ryan. Well, he got a call-back for another tryout. Jim is 6'8", left-handed and plays first base. That is uncommon and a huge time saver in baseball. He has an extra long reach because of his height, and because he is a lefty doesn't have to make a turn to throw to second base for a double-play. Too bad he was as old as he was when he went to try out because if it had been 10 years or so before he probably would have been signed. He said it was a blast getting as far as he did.

Plentziana
July 3rd, 2014, 09:42 PM
līm right handed, but l can do things with the left, and the weight things along better with the left

Sandy Navas
July 3rd, 2014, 09:48 PM
I've already voted - I'm a lefty but golf and bat (as in softball) right handed. I laughed at Karen's description of her brother - when I was in school and played softball I was always placed as a first baseman and never liked to play there (don't know why).

I have to share, since most of you have picked up on the fact that Jenny is left-handed. When I was at the retreat center yesterday I needed a pair of scissors and decided I needed a good pair so I ran over to the store. They only had ONE PAIR of left-handed scissors - a beautiful pair of Gingher 8" dress shears (which did come home with me . . . ). When I got back to the retreat center I was giving Jenny a hard time because they didn't have any other left-handed scissors in the store. She told me that when she was in school she learned to cut with her right hand and still uses right-handed scissors to cut. Interesting how we've had to adapt in different ways.

Both my sister and I are left handed and one of my sister's sons is left-handed. We also had a nephew who was left-handed but as far as I know we're the only ones in the family . . .

lourixe
July 4th, 2014, 09:07 AM
DH is left handed and I am right handed. There is one exception, though. My grandmother (RH) knitted a lot, and I learnt the craft by mimicking her seated in front of her, so I was actually using the opposite hands. Although my aunts tried later to "correct" me, I was unable to relearn and still knit as lefties do.

BellasQuilts
July 4th, 2014, 11:13 AM
DH and I are both left handed and our DDs are both right handed. He and I have both adapted to a right hand world, which has forced us to be able to use both hands.

Pandabear
July 4th, 2014, 06:03 PM
I'm a righty (hand and feet!!), but can sew with my left foot when needed.

dizzyLiz
July 4th, 2014, 06:56 PM
Lefty here

Angelia
July 4th, 2014, 07:02 PM
Righty here, but I tie my shoes like a lefty since my lefty dad taught me how.