PDA

View Full Version : WTG Fiskars!

WendyI
June 30th, 2014, 06:41 PM
So I'm not a huge fan of Fiskars...until today. I spent $40+ on my Fiskars sewing scissors. When I opened them they were kinda stiff but I thought okay, they'll loosen up as I use them. Nope! Today I almost couldn't use them at all. So i called and they are sending me not only a brand new pair but a pair that won't do this....no idea which though! Can't wait to get them. oh and I still get to keep the old ones...although not sure what good they will do me...they're really difficult to use. Scott oiled them for me and loosened them up a bit but they're sure not hand friendly for a lot of cutting.

What scissors are in your arsenal and what would you never use (other than Fiskars...can't really slam them since they are doing right by me! LOL!)

Sandy Navas
June 30th, 2014, 06:54 PM
Patterns and Notions >> Which is better, Kai or Gingher shears? (http://sewing.patternreview.com/SewingDiscussions/topic/68396)

Wendy, I had a post about scissors several months ago - the consensus was that Kai scissors are the best (at least that was my opinion but I've never owned them . . . ) The reason I'd lean that way is because they are the only company who make TRUE left-handed scissors.

I have several pair of Fiskars - good basic scissors - and a couple pair of Ginghers. I've always liked my Ginghers, but being left-handed I do find that my cuts aren't accurate because they are not a TRUE left-handed scissor.

Claire Hallman
June 30th, 2014, 06:55 PM
I love, love , love my Kai scissors. I bought them when I was in the drapery business and have used them for everything [well not paper:icon_heh:], they are great.

K. McEuen
June 30th, 2014, 07:53 PM
My normal sewing scissors are Fiskars and they've done me well. I did order a smaller pair of Kai and a pair of Kai pinking shears. Those Kai scissors are sharp. Have to be careful nothing gets nipped by the points when you are cutting, be it skin or fabric.

Sharyn J
June 30th, 2014, 08:00 PM
I love my Kai scissors. I use my old Fiskars to cut pizza! :o

AuntieVic
June 30th, 2014, 09:10 PM
I am a Gingher user. My mother-in-law is who suggested gingher, and I have never had problems with them at all. I have several sizes of them, in addition to the pinkin shears.

WendyI
June 30th, 2014, 09:13 PM
Patterns and Notions >> Which is better, Kai or Gingher shears? (http://sewing.patternreview.com/SewingDiscussions/topic/68396)

Wendy, I had a post about scissors several months ago - the consensus was that Kai scissors are the best (at least that was my opinion but I've never owned them . . . ) The reason I'd lean that way is because they are the only company who make TRUE left-handed scissors.

I have several pair of Fiskars - good basic scissors - and a couple pair of Ginghers. I've always liked my Ginghers, but being left-handed I do find that my cuts aren't accurate because they are not a TRUE left-handed scissor.

I do recall this thread and how interesting it was. I also recall someone posting a link to reasonably priced ones. I am in desperate need of some small scissors for little detail work and for frogging stuff etc...my shop here wants almost $50 for a small pair! uhg. Would like a pair of pinking shears also but not an absolute necessity right now. I'm off to investigate both of the ones you mentioned and see if I can find that site! Thanks!

Andrea F
July 1st, 2014, 03:03 AM
I just bought a pair of Gingher scissors a few weeks ago and I just love them. They are so sharp, they cut through the fabric like a dream. I've never had such a wonderful pair of scissors before. Makes a lot of things so much easier.

Hulamoon
July 1st, 2014, 03:21 AM
I love my Kai scissors. I use my old Fiskars to cut pizza! :o

:icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl:

Cathy F
July 1st, 2014, 03:35 AM
I've never used a pair of Kai scissors so I can only comment on what I use. I have a pair of Ghinger scissors that must be 20 years old and I love them.

Suzette
July 1st, 2014, 08:27 AM
I have never used Kai or Gingher and I don't doubt they are fabulous scissors, but I have a pair of Fiskar scissors that I bought over five years ago for about ten bucks that are easy on my hand (I'm a righty though) and still quite sharp and do a great, clean, neat job of cutting my fabric. They have never been used for anything but fabric, and I also admit that I do very little cutting with my large scissors. My rotary cutter gets a good workout, but my large scissors, not so much. Still, for the price, I am super happy with my Fiskars! :icon_bigsmile:

bubba
July 1st, 2014, 03:14 PM
I replaced my ginghers with kais and will never look back. I absolutely love the left handed pair, and even the smaller any hand ones don't bother me.