PDA

View Full Version : wedding clutch begun...am I on the right track?

WendyI
June 27th, 2014, 12:08 PM
Here's a couple of pics...the darker pink will be the inside and the lighter one on the outside...and the wee pocket.

Can anyone tell me why my piping is wrinkly?? And is 1/4 inch piping too big??

80461 80462

Sorry I'm at work and don't have my usual software so the pics are messed up.

I can't wait to get home and sew this up!!

SallyO'Sews
June 27th, 2014, 12:10 PM
Love the fabrics - this is going to be super-cute!
Is the piping fabric cut on the bias? I'm thinking if it is not, that could be causing the puckering. But I'll bet Jean could tell you.

Hulamoon
June 27th, 2014, 12:15 PM
Your stitching looks realy tiny. What foot are you using? I use my zipper foot. Looks cute!

WendyI
June 27th, 2014, 01:06 PM
It is cut on the bias but you're right! Stitches are too small...I was FMQing last time. duh. Yes I used a zipper foot. Dang it! Will have to make more. Oh well!

Jean Sewing Machine
June 27th, 2014, 03:26 PM
Just pull it along the length of the piping, it will straighten out, unless there are tucks sewn into the fabric--NOT YOU WENDY, I know you wouldn't do that! Love the colors! Did you say your dress is pink? Did you decide to alter the dress yourself, or did you find so eone to alter it for you?

WendyI
June 27th, 2014, 05:26 PM
Just pull it along the length of the piping, it will straighten out, unless there are tucks sewn into the fabric--NOT YOU WENDY, I know you wouldn't do that! Love the colors! Did you say your dress is pink? Did you decide to alter the dress yourself, or did you find so eone to alter it for you?

LOL! Oh YES I WOULD! uhg. And that is exactly what happened...I also went about 90 miles an hour! LOL!

I am NOT altering the dress myself. They ordered the WRONG DRESS!! :icon_mad::icon_mad::icon_angry::icon_angry::V

The dress I ordered had a sweetheart neckline and cap sleeves. The one I received is a single strapped stress. I despise single straps on any garment...looks unfinished to me! LOL!

Anyway...I found a lovely girl who just graduated a couple of years ago from Fanshaw Fashion Design and she is going to make it perfect for me! And ya, the dress is pink...petal pink to be exact. I'm off to find some chiffon to cover the purse with so it matches the dress! Hope to finish it tonight...any tips on sewing with Chiffon?!?

Jean Sewing Machine
June 27th, 2014, 05:40 PM
Tips on sewing chiffon? DON'T!

How about some nice organza? Same look, less frustration!

SuzyQue
June 27th, 2014, 05:42 PM
Use a fine needle and a sharp one! Don't speed!

Hulamoon
June 27th, 2014, 05:48 PM
I was going to say don't too. If you don't have a serger you will be tearing your hair out.

In case here are some tips.

http://www.craftsy.com/blog/2013/04/sewing-chiffon/

WendyI
June 28th, 2014, 01:06 AM
yep...figured out that disaster and even worse is piping!! So now I have ruined my fabrics and I can't get any more. Going to check other walmarts...this was just a fat quarter bundle I picked up and it was the last one. sigh. I decided to forgo the piping but the chiffon will actually work the way I'm going to use it...I just finished a practice one and I think I have it figured out!! Sadly I wrecked the fabric I liked and a piece of a chiffon but hey it's a learning curve! Hopefully the other piece will be big enough! LOL! if not, I'll be buying more! Sadly my fabric stores have very little selection in chiffon. A trip to Toronto might just be in order....lol..okay maybe I will give up on this purse. LOL!