PDA

View Full Version : From stoneage to middle age!

Swedish leo
June 27th, 2014, 10:37 AM
Hi

As my dd put it : I have now graduated from stone age cellphone to middle age cellphone!

I got a cellphone from a coworker to day and have been playing around with it all day to get to know it.

It is not a very good picture of me but hey ,, it is me.

:icon_wave:

JCY
June 27th, 2014, 11:01 AM
I'm still using stone age, then. My cell, which I keep in my purse & use only for emergencies, is a 2000 model, so you can imagine how ancient it is compared to today's I-Phones & Smart Phones. We still have our land line phones, which we plan to keep indefinitely. I guess my age is telling on me. lol JCY

Sandy Navas
June 27th, 2014, 11:02 AM
Love it! Thanks for sharing the picture. Now your fun begins. I had to get a new phone recently and Al had to drag me into the store - I left permanent marks on the sidewalk from my nails trying to dig in. But, I think after two months that I'm getting used to it. Maybe I may even start giving out the telephone number. I don't know if it rings or not . . .

easyquilts
June 27th, 2014, 11:27 AM
Have fun getting to know your new toy.... I graduated this year, too, and absolutely love my iPhone 5.... It's just like my iPad, so the learning curve was mercifully short... I got an Otterbox case for it, and I take it everywhere.... Even into the bathroom, if I am going to shower, or have a bath,,,,, I live alone now, so that's a safety thing....

Enjoy!

Jean Sewing Machine
June 27th, 2014, 11:49 AM
I'm like Sandy it's either the ipad or iphone in my hand. Got an iphone 5 in March, upgraded from a well loved iphone 3gs. My sister adopted the old iphone and loves it. I love mine except for the monthly bill.

Bubby
June 27th, 2014, 11:53 AM
I use an old flip phone because we only use a cell phone when we travel. Jeff and I share the same phone. I refuse to pay more than $100 a month for something I really don't care to use.

Marebear
June 27th, 2014, 12:45 PM
Enjoy your upgrade!

I have what I call my "dumb" phone, since it is not a "smart" phone. I still don't like using it and I consider myself pretty geeky - maybe I'd like an iPhone. I just have mine for emergencies too.

Angelia
June 27th, 2014, 01:20 PM
Mine is old--just for emergencies. As a matter of fact, because it is always off unless I need to call, I've never heard it ring! I have the number written down somewhere, but I don't know it. :) I have used it for automobile emergencies a few times, so I look at its cost as part of my insurance.

Still have a land line, but since I don't like talking on the phone, it doesn't get used much. Golly, I sound old! :)

WendyI
June 27th, 2014, 01:32 PM
That's awesome!!! I really should send you my old blackberry Z10...it's not far from middle-age but at least gets you into the right era!! LOL! Have fun!

MayinJerset
June 27th, 2014, 03:16 PM
Interesting new phone and hope you master it soon.

I'm with you JCY, our cells cost DH and I each only $30 per year and are used for emergencies and when we travel. I don't text,
so I definitely am in the cellphone stone age. Anyway no one calls us anymore, like today on our land phone we got 4 computer calls about things I couldn't possibly be interested in and one from ac/furnace maintenance for summer check up.

lourixe
June 29th, 2014, 03:41 PM
You made me laugh! DH also has a medieval dumbphone, and despises my larger smartphone -that he calls a "paperweight". But then he has me as a secretary to get or send text messages or pics to his friends and relatives! Actually, his works more as a landline... as he regurlarly forgets it at home!
What amazes me is my 3yo niece's proficiency. First time she takes my smartphone, a totally different brand and settings than her mum's, and she is able to locate widgets, pics, videos, just is seconds.

MRoy
June 29th, 2014, 05:52 PM
I can text with the phone I have now, but if free texting hadn't been included in the plan at the same cost as the old plan I probably wouldn't have added it. I'm glad now that I have it. I can renew or change my contract now, but I'm not sure I want to move up to a smart phone and pay the extra expense for a data plan that I might not use very often.

Mimis-quilts
June 29th, 2014, 09:15 PM
My phone completely died while we were on vacation...so I went to WalMart today and got a new phone...it's a Samsung Galaxy Ace. We use Smart-talk...it's $45/mo. unlimited calls and texts, has internet capabilities, blue tooth, camera and video. We do NOT have a LAN line, so we both rely on our cell phones. So far, I really like it, just need to get used to all the new stuff again.

MayinJerset
June 29th, 2014, 11:54 PM
Rethinking my position about upgrading to the new cell phones. we have a bundle for cable, tv and land phone and the fees keep going up so we may change internet providers and drop the land phone and we'll have to get with it with the new phones.

Mpyles
June 30th, 2014, 12:41 AM
Lol..my mom has a flip phone...she uses it to call long distance and her kids...but if she calls you, don't call her back at that number cause she turns it off when not using it....oye!! She is afraid she will run the battery down....eyeyeyeyaa!

SallyO'Sews
June 30th, 2014, 12:45 AM
A saleslady at Joann Fabrics asked me whether I had a smart phone that could bring up a coupon. I said no, I just have a dumb phone. So she said, well give me your dumb phone and we'll see if you can get them via text.

auntiemern
June 30th, 2014, 01:13 AM
I finally upgraded from my dumb flip phone to a new smart phone. I still have to ask my grand kids to show me stuff (even Bubby 4). I have put a few apps on it for the 2 little kids to play on. The texting thing, I am still not great at. I also don't have it attached at the hip like my DD and everyone else I know. I get calls and she says "didn't you get my text"....uh no, I haven't had it out of my purse all day. So if you really need to contact me...call...I am just not all about my phone.

MayinJerset
June 30th, 2014, 09:21 AM
Marilyn said, "I haven't had it out of my purse all day. So if you really need to contact me...call...I am just not all about my phone." when she mentioned she didn't have her phone attached to her hip. What is it with everyone? Do they have to answer every call and search for texts all day long? Cells can keep messages and texts to be answered when you are free to do so.

Had lunch with my 3 Granny cousins last week and the 3 of them were answering calls and checking texts all through lunch. I found that very rude as they didn't have to answer every ring as they weren't expecting 'important' calls. These are not some younger gals in love with technology but are ages 63 - 80. How did we make it through lunch before cell phones? I'll tell you how, we ate and enjoyed our food and conversation with our company.

Week or so ago we were in the car with our 48 yr old son and I had to yell at him not to text while he was driving. He was texting each time we stopped at a light but I'm sure while driving his mind was on what he was texting and not on the road. Meanwhile in the back seat DH was in between 2 DGKids and was trying to have a conversation with them, no deal as they both were engrossed on their phones. Sorry for the old lady rant so early in the morning, still not 100% awake as I've only had a few sips of coffee.

Lightwriter
August 3rd, 2014, 06:50 PM
I live in the middle of nowhere and when I have to go somewhere (Dr., etc) I have a cellphone in case I need to contact someone. I upgraded to a smartphone a couple of years ago and find I use the data more than the phone...GPS, finding addresses of places I want to go, check on the weather, etc. DD lives in NYC and DS lives in DC, so when we visit we pretty much have to have a phone.

I also love the camera and often take pics of my quilts with it. Email them to myself, then I can post them to MSQC. I am not addicted to the thing, but am glad I have some of the useful apps.