PDA

View Full Version : Saturdays in the summer is wonderful

Blondie
July 9th, 2011, 07:39 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/BSpence/sigs/Days/cf1.jpg

Good Morning Ladies
The title of my thread is morning is to remind me how much I used to love summer when I was a kid. Don't you remember how excited you were to have school out, sleeping in a bit longer, being with cousins, sisters, brothers, etc?
When my cousin and his wife were here last week, he reminded me of this. He has the best memories of staying at my folks house during the summer, going on backyard picnics with our grandparents, playing monopoly and jacks! Then his family moved to Austrailia for five years, they moved back to the states but all over, he went military, married, divorced, lived with Evie for more years than they have been married now and I don't see them all that often. I shouldn't have complained so much about this past week's visit. They called from Georgia where they are now visiting his folks. He is thinking of Christmas in Carolina. I thought I would have more opportunity to miss them.

Barb, I live nowhere near the coastline. I am way inland near the Blue Ridge Parkway. I have not been to the Sunset Beach area in years. That is a good long drive from my area. That end of the strand near North Myrtle is supposed to be much preferred these days. Sewing area out of control! Oh my. You inhabit my world as well. I tackle it and stay good for a few months. This time I am determined.

Off to get ready for work now. Sandy, we had rain two nights in a row! After work I have some friends coming over to pick blackberries and some blueberries that are starting to turn.

Have a F-U-N Saturday

quilter.martha
July 9th, 2011, 08:53 AM
Hi Blondie:
Is the picture one of your flowers? My purple cone flowers won't be open until sometime in August probably. Everything is so late this year. Not even the blueberries around the house are ready to pick and normally we can pick around the 4th of July. Wild blueberries are the best! We'll take hikes up a local "mountain" just to pick the blueberries at the top. Got some good pies from them last year. I'll pick cultivated ones for making jam. My DH absolutely loves my blueberry jam. I enjoy seeing him consume it!

Not much planned here today. I need to finish cleaning my house and then I can sew away. I'm working on a fall table runner. I just need to get the borders on it and the top will be finished. I'll post a pic when the top is finished. I plan to hand quilt it, so the finished product is still a ways away.

Everyone have a safe, fun weekend!

quiltingtrish
July 9th, 2011, 09:17 AM
Happy Saturday! Rained here yesterday - finally! When the rain would come in the past 2 weeks or so, we'd get droplets here. The flowers and bushes were so thirsty, I am sure they are celebrating this morning. I planted 2 plants of the cone flowers a few weeks ago. They grew and grew and every morning, I wake to hope to find a flower. Before I jumped on here, I peeked outside - there is a cone flower! Then I come on here and there is Blondies. Great minds think alike!
I must sew today! Must, because my challenge quilt top is to be finished a week from today. Thank goodness it doesn't have to be quilted and bound. The requirements changed from having to be a minimum of 60 x 60 to just doing something with the 2 fabrics given to us. So I did change it to a wall hanging, but the work is still involved.
My black raspberry picking days are over - they are done on the bushes. This morning, a friend of my sons brought us a huge container of big, sweet tasting blueberries! Yum! I had 2 bushes a few years ago, but I think I got about 15 berries from those bushes before they decided they didn't want to grow for us. I have to admit I don't know what to do to take care of those type of bushes and they kicked the bucket. Thankfully I have friends who have enough to share with us or I just pop down to the local farm market for our fill.
I hope everyone gets time to do what they enjoy today - whether it's sewing or getting outside to enjoy a summery day. The kitties are outside already chosing their special spot to 'hide' to watch the singing birds and jump after their favorite bugs in the grass.
Hugs,

I

Bubby
July 9th, 2011, 09:46 AM
Good Morning......I love the flower, Blondie. I just lost three attempts at posting this morning, so I am assuming I'm supposed to cut this short. This is the weekend I air out our quilt - give a few a bath and mend a little. I would love to know how you all care for your quilts and how you use them. This is getting long, so I'll say bye until next time and wish everyone a terrific weekend ..............Barb

Sandy Navas
July 9th, 2011, 10:15 AM
G O O D M O R N I N G Q U I L T Y F R I E N D S !!

About four months ago I signed up for a class at my Viking distributor's place. He got sick and the class was canceled. They rescheduled for today so I'm headed south for the day. Funny thing, I've deleted all my e-mail references and don't even know what the class is about . . . Oh, Vey! I am really torn about going because I'd rather be sewing.

Hope everyone has a happy. No berries here except the raspberries little Zoe learned to blow.

Hugs to all!!

toggpine
July 9th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Good Morning!
I received some great news yesterday! A dear friend has found out that she is pregnant (it's a girl). She and her husband have been trying for quite some time. After working through some medical stuff, they had success! She waited until now to tell anybody to make sure everything would go well! Prayers of thanksgiving for them!
No sewing likely with more work on the house painting project today. We have the replacement trim to paint and then put back on the house. After that I think we are done with paint, except for touch ups. My poor husband is looking forward to going back to work so he can rest!
We have an impromptu birthday party for Mom here tomorrow. I had better go make sure I have everything I need for burgers and fixin's. I'll have Em help me make cupcakes later today.
You all have a great day! Cathy

mamaquilt
July 9th, 2011, 01:38 PM
thanks Blondie for the Rudbekia flower in this post. Had them in our garden for a very long time, but this year they didn't come back. Have to plant new ones next year I guess. Have a nice WE all of you

patticakes
July 9th, 2011, 02:31 PM
Hello all!
Blondie thanks for the beautiful welcome with the lovely flower. I saw the pics of your blackberries on your blog and had such a wonderful wave of memory of my grandma's blackberry pies! My grandpa was a fruit farmer but the house garden, which grandma tended to, was full of blackberries. I learned to bake and can from her. She was a grouchy thing and never squandered much sugar on her recipes due to "the wars" and rationing. Her root cellar, a cave dug from a hill with a door frame built in it, was truly a strange and magical spot. You never see those anymore do you? Also enjoyed your cousin memories. So many of our family elders have passed that we are having a "cousins reunion" this year as part of our family reunion, where we will all take a hike to the "big rock". Our Grandpa would take us there at every reunion at the farm. Unfortunately the farm was taken over by "emminient (sp-?) domain" years ago to make way for a hydro electric plant (it was right on Lake Michigan) and a freeway, but I can still tell where it was by an ever-disappearing line of big pine trees that were along the driveway. Geesh...sorry...did not mean to rattle on!

Martha - good idea to start on fall projects. I have alot of fall fabric stash because it is my fav time of year. NE is such a great area for blueberries, as is Michigan. They love sandy soil!

Sandy - hope you enjoyed your class, whatever the heck it was!

Woke up to a lovely surprise, I won a book from a contest posted on FB from Generation Q Magazine. Can't wait to get my hands on it!

Claire Hallman
July 9th, 2011, 02:35 PM
I was inspired with all the berry talk and went to the local farmers market with the hopes of scoring some for us. Alas, no berries but did come home with a flower bunch and with some yellow/zuke combo squash. They will taste good for tomorrow's dinner.

Blondie
July 9th, 2011, 05:23 PM
Hi Ladies

Just sitting down after working in the salon, picking berries, grocery shopping (which isn't complete yet) and I am too pooped to pop. Yes, that pretty flower is in my garden. I grew it from seed that a sweet friend shared with me a few years back.

The blueberries are going to be really plentiful this year. I wish you gals lived closer. The blackberries are still coming on strong as well - I reckon the recent two days of rain have inspired them.

I told my friend who came to pick that I might should've weighed her before she picked and weigh her after she picked. She was eating as much as she picked, LOL. She is a keeper as a friend since I love her as a sister. Only a few good friends for me - that is enough. God has blest me with a few good ones that like to laugh and carry on as much as I do. She is my friend with the long arm machine. That really keeps her busy as well as her cutie grandson. His 2nd birthday party is tomorrow. I can't believe he will be two. I will enjoy other folks grands along with them.
While I was out shopping this afternoon, sis and I hit the favored Salvation Army and I found two great shirts to cut up. Great deal - 2 for one dollar. Just my speed.

Patti, you didn't ramble! It is wonderful to have good memories and those to share with. My cousins and I are all very close. Our mothers were sisters and though we are all scattered all over the country we stay in touch. Our grandparents were great and yes, the depression years never left them - nor did they leave our folks who grew up then. It has affected my life in many regards and for that I am thankful. We never had the dug out root cellar - but my other granny had a spring house at the creek. She would keep her cream and butter there and it never spoilt. Wish we still had that! I wouldn't know how to start.

Sandy, had to giggle about Zoe's raspberries. Made my day complete. Hope your trip was worth it.

Okay, friends - off to see what the big man wants for dinner. It's too hot to cook. Why can't he just have cookies and milk for dinner? Sounds like a plan to me!

Blondie
July 9th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Hello all!
Blondie thanks for the beautiful welcome with the lovely flower. I saw the pics of your blackberries on your blog and had such a wonderful wave of memory of my grandma's blackberry pies! My grandpa was a fruit farmer but the house garden, which grandma tended to, was full of blackberries. I learned to bake and can from her. She was a grouchy thing and never squandered much sugar on her recipes due to "the wars" and rationing. Her root cellar, a cave dug from a hill with a door frame built in it, was truly a strange and magical spot. You never see those anymore do you? Also enjoyed your cousin memories. So many of our family elders have passed that we are having a "cousins reunion" this year as part of our family reunion, where we will all take a hike to the "big rock". Our Grandpa would take us there at every reunion at the farm. Unfortunately the farm was taken over by "emminient (sp-?) domain" years ago to make way for a hydro electric plant (it was right on Lake Michigan) and a freeway, but I can still tell where it was by an ever-disappearing line of big pine trees that were along the driveway. Geesh...sorry...did not mean to rattle on!

Martha - good idea to start on fall projects. I have alot of fall fabric stash because it is my fav time of year. NE is such a great area for blueberries, as is Michigan. They love sandy soil!

Sandy - hope you enjoyed your class, whatever the heck it was!

Woke up to a lovely surprise, I won a book from a contest posted on FB from Generation Q Magazine. Can't wait to get my hands on it!

Meant to add to my above post - CONGRATS! What a neat looking book! I love all my quilting books and mags and find it difficult to part with them.

patticakes
July 9th, 2011, 08:40 PM
Thanks Blondie! I had to email my info and the kind man who is behind the FB page said because I made him laugh with my email he wanted to send me some additional fat quarters and asked if I wanted some rotary cutters and marking pencils that they had used in product testing! Duh...of course I do!! Woo hoo...Christmas in July! How very kind and generous quilty people are! I'll have to make sure and pay something forward very soon!

Money has been short and I've been feeling down that I can't buy quilt supplies. When I wake up in the middle of the night and worry I've been saying a little prayer or two for things to get better. The good Lord must want me to keep on quilting! Praise Him for that!

Well, BF is sitting outside on the patio by himself. Think I will go keep him company. :-)
Hope everyone has a nice evening!

toggpine
July 10th, 2011, 02:23 AM
Made it through the day. The deck boards on the front have been replaced, so visitors are not so likely to fall through on the way to the front door now! We replaced the screens on the kitchen windows. The cat snagged them trying to get our attention, and we put a piece of railing through the one on Em's window. The others need to be replaced, but there was only enough screen on the roll for three windows. Thankfully no more were damaged during the painting process, or I'd have another trip to HomeDepot. The trim boards are all painted. Probably will wait until the evenings this next week to cut and install it. Hubby is wiped out from all of the work of painting the house. He is looking forward to going back to his job so he can rest!
I made a big batch of iced tea and a fresh batch of hummingbird nectar. I should have picked up the 50 pound bag of sugar with the way those creatures are drinking it down!
I think I'll be heading to bed much earlier tonight than the last few! Check in on you tomorrow!
Sweet dreams of fabric!