PDA

View Full Version : It's Friday! Friday! Gotta get down on Friday!

HandsomeRyan
June 27th, 2014, 08:01 AM
Morning all,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfVsfOSbJY0

It's Friday!

Little man was much better after daycare yesterday. Much to my relief.

I also learned why people applique individual letters or monograms but do not usually write out entire phrases. It is a lot of work! I'm 5 letters into a 20 letter phrase on a wall hanging for my quilting room. At this point it'll be done sometime in mid-2025. Note to self: Buy an embroidery machine.

I went to the salvage place yesterday but was unable to locate suitable cabinets. They had a lot of full sets but not much in the way of individual cabinets and I didn't want to buy 8-10 cabinets to use 2 of them. I may go to plan B on making a cutting table which is to knock something simple together from 2x4's and a plywood top. My problem is that whatever I make needs to fit down a tight hallway and through a door. Maybe I'll troll craigslist for a kitchen table for cheap? ...so confused about what to do.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h170/HandsomeRyan/IMAG0229_zpsuhvacout.jpg (http://s64.photobucket.com/user/HandsomeRyan/media/IMAG0229_zpsuhvacout.jpg.html)
Wiggles blowing spit bubbles on the front porch last night.

I hope everyone has a nice day and be sure to smile!

Carol336
June 27th, 2014, 08:22 AM
I swear that kid just gets cuter by the second.....and that smile - great way to start anyone's day!!!

Don't forget to post pics of your wall hanging Ryan - just hope I'm around in 2025 to see it - LOL

Meeting with our realtor friend this morning...not to list....but for him to look things over and tell us what else we need to do before listing. We're hoping to put it on the market when we get back from the outer banks in August. I get a little sick feeling in the pit of my stomach when I think about leaving here - we've been our home for 31 years.....lots of wonderful memories made here. But it's just getting to be too much for us to take care of anymore.....not to mention we bought this house as an investment for our retirement - and we're ready to cash in on that now.

Went out dancing last night....always fun....but man do my legs feel a tad rubbery this morning - LOL

Have a wonderful day everyone......and here's some {{{{HUGS}}}} for that adorable Sawyer (you can have one too Ryan)

MRoy
June 27th, 2014, 08:40 AM
Good morning! Sawyer's smile is a great way to start the day. Ryan, from the size of that boy you may have a future basketball or football star in the making.

I'm taking one of our trucks in for recall work this morning. The dealer said is should only take about 1 1/2 hours, but I'm taking my Kindle for reading...just in case. I got my BLOCK in the mail yesterday. I plan to read it today too.

Happy Friday everyone!

meemeecyn
June 27th, 2014, 08:45 AM
What a great way to start the day! Looking at Sawyer's beautiful smile. And the day before the weekend...even better!

Hope all is well with my quilting friends. Things going super duper up here in good ole NH!

Thanks for posting the pic, Ryan. Have a wonderful day to each of you.
Cynthia

Ginny B
June 27th, 2014, 08:45 AM
What a cutie pie. :) Seeing that face makes me smile even if it's Monday. But it is indeed Friday and I am looking forward to the weekend.

Carol, I love to dance too. Sounds like it was a great night.

Good luck with your applique and search for your perfect cutting table Ryan.

Well time to get some things accomplished before heading to work. I've got a load of laundry going and now it's time to head up to my sewing room. I am working on cleaning/reorganizing it so off I go. Have a fabulous Friday everyone.

See you later

ilive2craft2
June 27th, 2014, 09:08 AM
Ryan, Sawyer is growing up so fast! He is adorable and I love seeing new pics of him - thanks for sharing!

My cutting table is a hollow core door put on top of those 9 cubbie storage units from Target. Prior to the cubbies, it was on saw horses cut to the right height for me - the cubbies make it an inch or so shorter, but the saw horses were just a tad high, so they work well for me. We got the door in the scratch and dent aisle at our local big box home improvement store for $5 - it does not have holes in it for the door handle, so it works great for me. Someday, I will seal the side that is face up, but it is almost all covered by cutting mats and ironing mats. There are pics in my albums if you want to see it.

Work is crazy busy right now, so I have not sewn much. Hope to get some things accomplished over the weekend. I did look in our basement and found my grandma's sewing machine - it is a Montgomery Wards brand, so going to need to do some research and figure out how old it is - it is electric. I had it rewired 20+ years ago when Grandma's electrical tape started falling apart and it started sparking for me! I had almost forgotten that I had it. Hope to get it cleaned up and useable - hoping it will work and I can have it as my piecing machine at the family lake house. :)

Monique
June 27th, 2014, 09:27 AM
Just a quick hello. Meeting Wendy tomorrow morning. It has been great so far.

Have an awesome weekend everyone.

Mpyles
June 27th, 2014, 09:45 AM
Good morning! Everyone have a great day!

MayinJerset
June 27th, 2014, 09:55 AM
Starting the day with one of Blondie's upbeat posts or Sawyers sweet smiles makes for a happy day.

I WILL GET UP TO MY SEWING ROOM THIS MORNING! Thought if I made the statement big and bold I would actually do it today, things keep coming up that take up all of my time so my bag of things to take up there has been sitting on the steps all week.

Expecting a call this morning from my sister Carol as she needs advice about adding borders to the quilt she's making. Center is a huge Carpenter's Wheel block and I have to walk her through measuring it to get her first border size. That part is easy to related to her, it is when the middle measurement is much smaller than the top and bottom that will be a bit harder to relate. She will need to pin the border to the block in sections and I hope I can explain well enough for her to understand. Maybe we can get together on Sat. or Sunday - we live about an hour apart and about $20 in bridge tolls so sometimes that's a problem for us.

Hey everybody have a great weekend.

ravelim
June 27th, 2014, 10:02 AM
Ryan,when my DH has problems with size, he just builds the project in the room -never to get out of that room again -project, that is.
It's always a mess but works. And thanks for showing us that adorable child again. Glad yesterday went better. How's Tabitha's ankle?

I'm always glad it's Friday because DH cleans the house today! Lol. I'm not physically able to do much so bless his heart, he takes care of me.

I'm trying to do a t-shirt quilt for him. It'll be cute when done but like you Ryan,it may be mid 2025 before I finish it.

When I feel like I do today,I always think of the old, old song...slow down,you move too fast, got to make the morning last,mmmmmmmthe cobblestones. Lookin for fun and feeling groovy! Anybody else remember that old song? Lol

.gotta go have a great day.

JCY
June 27th, 2014, 10:27 AM
Ryan, sometimes you can find a table with legs that screw on. That way it would go down the narrow hall & door. I have such a table which I use for my sewing machine. It's been so many yrs. since it was assembled, I think the bolts now are rusted in place! LOL Ikea has some very nice rectangular tables with detachable legs. The LQS owner purchased several for her shop for quilting classes. There were just a nice height. I'm still using a card table as my cutting table! It's worked all these yrs., but I wish it had a plywood cover so it was more firm. I haven't bought one of those folding 6 ft. tables that sell for $35-40. Too darn heavy, & too big for my space.

I'm getting together for a potluck lunch with our Lady Bugs group. It's a group of mostly widows or single women. It's always a good time. There will be 19 of us today.

Everyone have a good Friday & good week-end. JCY

Sandy Navas
June 27th, 2014, 10:39 AM
Feeling groovy here for sure. Although my friend Paul hasn't been really groovy lately . . .

Love seeing that chunky little Cooper - sure can't call him Mini. He has some real character showing through already.

I was going to suggest that Ryan also take a look at the Target cubbies - but Lisa beat me to it. I've quite often thought about replacing my cutting table (the drop-down leaves on wheels from JoAnns) with them. They sure do provide some additional storage area. Another thing you may want to check out (we found this when we were setting up our wood-working shop) call local cabinet makers and see if they have misfits available. We needed a large top and one of the local guys had a formica-topped island piece that was almost exactly the right size and the price was perfect, too.

How long does it take you from the time you pull your M*QC order from the mailbox until it is stitched into a quilt block? Yesterday? How about 180 blocks in less than 2 hours? I will get this top finished so Al can quilt it for me!!!

Nothing else exciting happening in this little corner of the world. We did have rain overnight but I think it only lasted about 5 minutes. Looks like more in the western skies though. Perfect day to sit by the sewing machine.

Ohh, oh, I do have to share. One of my biggest issues when piecing has always been the ache between my shoulder blades. I'd sew for an hour or so and then just couldn't get back to it . . . until sometime last week I raised my chair up about an inch . . DUH!

Sure hope everyone has a wonderful weekend. Prayers being said for those in need.

Carol336
June 27th, 2014, 10:48 AM
Ohh, oh, I do have to share. One of my biggest issues when piecing has always been the ache between my shoulder blades. I'd sew for an hour or so and then just couldn't get back to it . . . until sometime last week I raised my chair up about an inch . . DUH!

I have the same problem Sandy, but my chair is as high as it will go.....I'm wondering about one of those square padded seat cushions.....anyone know anything about thoses????

NanceeCee
June 27th, 2014, 11:37 AM
I found the solution to my cutting table needs by purchasing a long fold up table from Costco, in fact I bought 2. It has 3 positions and the lowest one is where my machine sits and gives me a lot of room to support a large quilt when adding borders, quilting etc. I set up the 2nd table at it's highest and it's just right for rotary cutting as it doesn't cause me to bend over and strain my back. I have 2 big cutting mats that are joined at the top and bottom (from Joanns) that cover the entire top, have a rack to hold rulers, vase for rotary cutters and a cat bed in an attempt to keep Rascal from curling up on fabric, and have plenty of room to work. Plus, if we need it, we have 2 party, picnic, dinner, etc. tables if necessary to use.

WendyI
June 27th, 2014, 01:15 PM
Morning all...Ryan I can't stand how freaking adorable that wee man is and I can't squeeze and maul that pudgey wee babe!! Please enjoy him for me.

I'm at work and trying to get caught up on the forums but my eyesight has been bothering me lately and I'm struggling with reading...my eyes get very fatigued...really need to get an eye exam done.

Just putting in time today...a lot of work to do and feel like doing NONE of it....just want to be home sewing!!!! sigh.

Off to have lunch and see if I can catch up on this thread! Have a great day all!! xox

**edited to let you know I'm as bright as a two watt bulb! Got a new desk setup going on here and my monitors were just pushed way back on my desk so that I could have space to write! But then I can't see the monitor! Just moved them closer...what a difference! Smart like dumptruck some days I tell ya!

Claire Hallman
June 27th, 2014, 01:20 PM
Ryan,when my DH has problems with size, he just builds the project in the room -never to get out of that room again -project, that is.
It's always a mess but works. And thanks for showing us that adorable child again. Glad yesterday went better. How's Tabitha's ankle?

I'm always glad it's Friday because DH cleans the house today! Lol. I'm not physically able to do much so bless his heart, he takes care of me.

I'm trying to do a t-shirt quilt for him. It'll be cute when done but like you Ryan,it may be mid 2025 before I finish it.

When I feel like I do today,I always think of the old, old song...slow down,you move too fast, got to make the morning last,mmmmmmmthe cobblestones. Lookin for fun and feeling groovy! Anybody else remember that old song? Lol

.gotta go have a great day.
Walking down the cobblestones....... At least that is what I remember.

I so enjoy seeing Sawyer's picture, what substantial legs he has.
My sewing equipment is so cobbled together, my DH built me a table using 4x4 legs and 2x4 cross pieces to the height that works ergonomically for me. I love it and use it almost everyday.
I sold a Singer I had just sitting around since I got my featherweight so now if I run into another featherweight I have a ingle in my pocket to pay for it. It will have to be a bargain though, the newer ones don't go for much used.

WendyI
June 27th, 2014, 01:52 PM
I haven't bought one of those folding 6 ft. tables that sell for $35-40. Too darn heavy, & too big for my space.

I'm getting together for a potluck lunch with our Lady Bugs group. It's a group of mostly widows or single women. It's always a good time. There will be 19 of us today.

Everyone have a good Friday & good week-end. JCY

I have one of those tables...and while they are a tad heavy, they have little wheels on them so are really easy to maneuver when folded up...stairs may be a bit tricky but should still work.

Potluck sounds like fun! I need to find a group like that...I'm not a widow but may as well be...Scott is so anti-social it's brutal.

Jean Sewing Machine
June 27th, 2014, 03:03 PM
I bought two 2' x 4' tables from WalMart for $50 each. They have three height adjustments and the tallest would be perfect for a cutting surface. No problem getting them in or out of the room, they are flat! I store tubs under them, they are plenty tall.

MayinJerset
June 27th, 2014, 10:18 PM
I have one of those 5ft folding tables that and keep my cutting mat and iron pad on top. In order to make it a comfortable cutting and ironing height I put bed risers under each leg. Might work for some of the gals but I think Ryan is too tall for that setup.