PDA

View Full Version : Thursday: The beginning of the end of the week.

HandsomeRyan
June 26th, 2014, 08:04 AM
Good morning everyone!

Wiggles was a wild man yesterday after I picked him up from daycare. He fell asleep in the car and he stayed asleep when I put him in his pack-n-play once we got home for about 20 minutes. Long enough for me to get a picture of him looking sweet. But when he woke up you'd think someone had mixed hornets into his diaper cream! He screamed and cried no matter what I did. We walked around the yard, we watched Jenny Doan videos on the computer**, we tried playing on the floor with toys. Nothing helped. Finally in a move of desperation I drew a bath and we splashed in the water for half an hour. As soon as it was time to get out we were back to crying until mom got home. I swear the boy just tries to make me look bad because while I'm explaining to my wife what a wildman he was, he looks at her and smiles. He was sweet to her for the rest of the night and now I'm sure she just thinks I can't handle this parenting thing. Oh well.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h170/HandsomeRyan/IMAG0223_1_zpskngiahhu.jpg (http://s64.photobucket.com/user/HandsomeRyan/media/IMAG0223_1_zpskngiahhu.jpg.html)

^Not an accurate representation of his attitude yesterday.

**[I]Can you imagine anyone being sad while watching Jenny teach quilting?

I hope everyone has a wonderful day with lots of smiles!

PS: I am going to the salvage store this afternoon to look for some cabinets to use as a base to build then new table I need for my insanely large 3'x4' cutting mat. Exciting times.

Doloris
June 26th, 2014, 08:13 AM
I can't imagine that sweet face being a wildman. LOL, but having raised 2 boys of my own, with one referred to as the wild child, I can relate. He was the sweetest thing one minute, and a beast the next. He is 37 now and not much has changed, except he doesn't live at home so I don't see the beastly moments so much, but I usually do hear about them.
Believe it or not you will miss the wild moments some day too.

bonniebella
June 26th, 2014, 08:32 AM
Aww what a sweet face of young Sawyer, how can you say he is a wildman.

MRoy
June 26th, 2014, 08:37 AM
Good morning! That sweet angel turning into a wild child....surely not! :) Sometimes they can turn it on and off like flipping a light switch. Good luck cabinet hunting today Ryan.

It's another guild sit-n-sew day here. We should be ready to start sewing 200+ hexies into a queen sized quilt of sorts. This is an interesting project. Have a great day!
http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/236x/42/41/ff/4241ff3174a083c1294c0256639be600.jpg

Slokarma
June 26th, 2014, 09:14 AM
obviously a bold face lie!

buckeyequilter
June 26th, 2014, 09:20 AM
Good morning....

I can't believe that someone that looks that sweet could be a wild man. He was probably dreaming about mom and then he woke up and mom wasn't there :)

Well I made my grandson's quilt and put the binding on....haven't sewn it to the back yet. I'm not happy with the area where I joined it.....and so I think that's why I haven't worked on the hand stitching. Tonight I'm going to rip some of it out....add a new strip and try again.

I'm getting ready to start a new quilt....from stash (only needed to buy 1 white charm pack), the rest will be from whatever I can find in my stash. I may even try piecing the batting to use that up. This quilt will have everything from berenstain bears to civil war repro fabrics.

Have a wonderful day!

Carol336
June 26th, 2014, 09:28 AM
I refuse to believe that angelic little boy could be a wildman.......Oh wait - I had one just like that....stubborn to the core. Funny story comes to mind.....When the boys were about 10 and 7 we took them to a Village People concert......I didn't realize the type of following they had. Took the 7 year old (wildman) to the restroom, here to fore he always went in the ladies room with me. Well this night, he decided he was big enough for the mens room....oh my. I firmly took him by the hand and led him into the ladies room where he proceded to throw himself on the floor screaming....nothing and I do mean nothing I said or did could calm him down. The show was about to resume so what could I do.....took him over to the mens room, got right down to his ear and said through clenched teeth "You have 3 minuted to do your business or I'm coming in there" and I might have pinched him, not sure. So I stand there and wait, and wait, and wait.....and probably about 5 mins later he comes sauntering out like he has all the time in the world.....I could have killed that kid that night.

Oh and remind me to tell you the one where I threw his brother out of the car when he was 12......it's a wonder I wasn't arrested for child abuse - LOL

MayinJerset
June 26th, 2014, 09:51 AM
What a sleeping angel - but Dad knows the wild side too.

It was such a damp night I'm so glad the sun is shining and it's pretty nice out today. Not much to say this morning as I need to get going finishing going through my mail that I let pile up. Took care of household account and bills and now on to my checking and charge accounts. Think I'll let them wait until late tonight as I'll use my Night Owl time working on them.

FabStripper
June 26th, 2014, 10:02 AM
Such a beautiful boy. Are you sure it wasn't you that was crying? I don't see that ability in his face - he is too cute. Have you checked craig's list in your area for free cabinets? I hear good things about that site.

GrammaBabs
June 26th, 2014, 10:04 AM
Ah, yes,,, the many sides of our little ones.... Such a cutie.... but I loved the story of him using up all his "cranky stuff" with you and then being all sweet with MOM!!! So much like a "son"....:)

Over40momma
June 26th, 2014, 10:05 AM
No worries Ryan, I surely believe you. My oldest would be like a screaming banshee all day, as soon as she heard her Dad's truck pull in, this adorable cooing princess appeared. I swear to you there were days I would have gladly sold her to wandering gypsies. :lol:

Still on my cleaning kick in the house and throwing out junk/treasures that haven't been used or needed in over 10 years. I was raised with the "waste not, want not" but holy moly......there are things I have no idea what I was thinking in keeping them. :icon_whistle: When I need a breather, I am working on a duvet cover for my oldest. It's pugs on one side and paw prints on the other and making a velcro opener for the quilt to be slid into it. Feels weird working on fabric that I am not cutting up into little pieces. :lol:

Have a great day everyone and blessed be.

ravelim
June 26th, 2014, 10:11 AM
O,I love the fiber and fat quarters.

Ryan your little guy is so cute but they certainly can be tricky.mine always played me. And the crying just drove me nuts. (It's nice to remember why I went nuts. Lol)

Have another doctor s appt today. When I come home am going to try to cut out motor t-shirts for DH quilt.

Carol I'd like to hear about pushing the kid out. Lol. I just use to slap mine. Lol

Doloris
June 26th, 2014, 10:21 AM
Sometimes you gotta wonder how our kids ever made it to adulthood. LOL I am a firm believer in a good swat now and then. If there are no consequences to their actions, the actions will continue.
My afore mentioned wild child once said he didn't want kids if he couldn't swat them now and then. He also told me he got it for things his brother did once in a while, but he never said anything because he either had gotten away with something previously or would get away with something later, and he probably deserved it anyway. LOL
Gotta love them, and it is nice when they become your friend in later life, but they both know I am their mom first and their friend second.

Simply Quilting
June 26th, 2014, 10:43 AM
Ryan, I've been there. There were days that were/still are interesting to say the least and then dh come home or we have to go somewhere and they are perfect angels and it makes me look like I'm crazy when I've said how uncooperative they have been all day.

Today I've got an early meeting. Then we have homeschool park day while dh mows the yard at home. The afternoon has many possibilities not sure what we will decide to do.

Have a great day everyone :)

HandsomeRyan
June 26th, 2014, 10:49 AM
Have you checked craig's list in your area for free cabinets?

That is a good idea and where I will go next if this trip doesn't pan out. I actually have some store credit @ this salvage place (http://communityforklift.org/) because I've taught some classes for them (chicken coop design and baby food gardening).

songbird857
June 26th, 2014, 10:51 AM
such a cutie!

Mpyles
June 26th, 2014, 11:10 AM
Good morning!! Lots of busy activity this morning! Ryan, I can so relate! Sometimes they just want their momma!

Off work today...gonna try and do a little cleanin and a little sewing! Took a class last night at the LQS. Made a banded basket bag! Mine turned out more like a tote....due to my inability to follow instructions and make cuts on the wrong side of the bag...sheesh! Also my piping looked like crud...sew it's a around the house bag...but confident I can reproduce it without the errors! There was. A women in the class that did not know how to operate her machine...so she took up most of the instructors time and then eventually my machine as she could not get hers to do what it needed to do....ahh well!

My daughter went to a minor league cardinals game last night in springfield and sat next to reo speedwagon! Lol I asked her...did they look like a bunch of old men? She said ..ya..when they sat down I said hey look at those old man rockers...lol. Too funny! They are in town for a concert tonight.

Well off to accomplish lots today! Everyone have a great day!!

auntiemern
June 26th, 2014, 11:12 AM
He gets cuter every day. Some days they are just cranky, and no matter what you do is NOT going to make them happy. I do believe however that he is sweeter, much more than cranky. Have a great day all. Gotta finish the shower gift for my DD today. Hugs and blessings for all, prayers for those in need.

Jean Sewing Machine
June 26th, 2014, 11:39 AM
Good morning! Ryan, I had a kid like that, his cry could go on forever. Good thing he was cute when he wasn't fussy! Turned out he had ear infections, and when one of those started, we knew we were in for a sleepless night! He's 47 now, with three screamers of his own, what goes around comes around!

I finished my fabric creation last night, machine applique of scraps on to a green background w ith two colors of threads. I'm going to use this fabric for costume jackets for 10 Munchkins in The Wiz. Had some issues with thread breakage, my longarm machine does great with 100 % cotton thread, but really doesn't like silky poly threads. It got better as I progressed through the project. The variegated threads I've purchased are poly, I just need to live with it until I use these up. I think it turned out good--today I'll cut out my project and put a jacket together to see if it is the look I want! Hope so!

Have a great day!

Liberty
June 26th, 2014, 11:41 AM
I've taught some classes for them (chicken coop design and baby food gardening).
You've taught classes on chicken coop design and gardening? Awesome! And I thought quilting was all I'd have in common with people on this board!

Anyway, I totally understand the cute baby/crying baby! I work from home so I'm with our lovely daughter (11 months) every day. Some days she's so darn fussy! But when daddy gets home, all is well :)

Those cute little faces can be very misleading... ;)

Claire OneStitchAtATime
June 26th, 2014, 11:42 AM
Being a baby is hard. They have to let all that emotion out somehow, and they often do it with someone to whom they are very firmly attached. I'm sure the crying was driving you up the wall, Ryan, but letting it all out with a beloved parent after daycare is common. You see it in kids at preschool & elementary school too. It just means you're doing a good job of being a dad. He wouldn't be such a brat if he wasn't firmly attached to you. Not that knowing that makes the crying any easier on the ears ...,

I'm doing fine but they told me not to drive for 24 hours post-anesthesia, so I'm thinking if I tried to quilt I would probably mess up! Here's a rule: no rotary cutting while on sedatives.

Jean Sewing Machine
June 26th, 2014, 11:51 AM
I'm doing fine but they told me not to drive for 24 hours post-anesthesia, so I'm thinking if I tried to quilt I would probably mess up! Here's a rule: no rotary cutting while on sedatives.

Very good advice, Claire! Glad you are doing OK!

fatquarters
June 26th, 2014, 12:22 PM
good morning, there is nothing cuter than a sleeping baby.

Ryan, you might want to check for an island rather than counter top to get the width, good luck with that.

Hope everyone has a totally awesome day!

toggpine
June 26th, 2014, 01:22 PM
I'm trying to get the blocks all cut from last week's shop hop. It looks like I'll need to buy a bit of the featured fabrics. Some places were very generous, others not so much.

Just got a call that we can move Em's therapy appointment up 2 hours! Yea! I had better let Nana know we'll be coming by earlier. During the summer, Em spends Thursday nights with my mom and then Daddy picks her up on his way home on Fridays. It lets her get some grandma time.

Well, I had better get off this time-sucking machine and get on with it!
Have a great day! Hugs, C

HandsomeRyan
June 26th, 2014, 02:38 PM
You've taught classes on chicken coop design and gardening? Awesome!

I'm a professional horticulturist by trade but in my spare time (mostly before my son was born) I teach classes about various horticultural topics. I just keep chickens as a hobby but the salvage place was impressed with the coop I built and asked me to teach a couple classes about using salvaged materials to build chicken coops.
The coop:
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h170/HandsomeRyan/Coop%20and%20Chicken%20Pictures/Coop48142_zps8c45715e.jpg (http://s64.photobucket.com/user/HandsomeRyan/media/Coop%20and%20Chicken%20Pictures/Coop48142_zps8c45715e.jpg.html)

Tobacco farming in one of my controlled environment chambers at my office.
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h170/HandsomeRyan/Regularly%20Used/photobucket-45504-1348857613908.jpg (http://s64.photobucket.com/user/HandsomeRyan/media/Regularly%20Used/photobucket-45504-1348857613908.jpg.html)

Claire OneStitchAtATime
June 26th, 2014, 04:04 PM
You're just renaissance man, Ryan, aren't you? How did you get into quilting?

HandsomeRyan
June 26th, 2014, 06:45 PM
You're just renaissance man, Ryan, aren't you? How did you get into quilting?

I've always liked making things. I bought a sewing machine ≈10 years ago and my mom taught me the basics of it. She made all out halloween costumes growing up and curtains and stuff like that but he isn't a quilter. I discovered that sewing clothes is really hard so the machine sat for many years in a closet. I got the crazy idea in the fall of 2012 that I wanted to make a quilt. So I did. Then I made like 20 other quilts.

Outside of quilting I have about 10,00 other hobbies because I just like to know how to do stuff. I do some metal fabrication (a recent thread I posted was about making metal tiki torches out of empty whiskey bottles over the weekend) and blacksmithing. I also garden, work on small engines and my 11 year old car and 21 year old truck. beer brewing, wine making, glass mosaics, cheese making, canning/preserving, and probably half a dozen other things that involve working with my hands.

Claire OneStitchAtATime
June 26th, 2014, 08:40 PM
I don't have nearly so many skills but I totally understand the attraction of doing stuff. I'm all about making functional things these days. As well as quilting, I'm knitting dishtowels. Seriously. I know it's strange, but I'd rather do something with my hands than watch TV.