PDA

View Full Version : This Night Owl is calling it quits...

MayinJerset
June 26th, 2014, 02:41 AM
It's 1:30 and my eyes are trying to close, maybe because I don't want to see any more bills that have to be paid. Went through all my mail from the past few days, got rid of junk mail, reconciled our joint checking account and paid a few bills. Reconciled my checking account but I have a lot more work to do, not bills but accounts that need to be followed up with a phone call so that will have to wait until morning.

It has gotten so hot and sticky the past few hours, keeps threatening to rain with lightening and thunder but no rain so far. Wouldn't mind it raining during the night and giving our lawn and shrubs a good cool drink.

Big Yawn and I'm off for the night. All you Night Owls are on your own!

bkthomas
June 26th, 2014, 02:55 AM
Thank You May, Sweet Dreams!!!!

Hulamoon
June 26th, 2014, 04:22 AM
Only about after nine here and watching some things I recorded. I'll probably fall asleep and wake up again. Isn't that what night owls do? Paper is exhausting! I just recycled yesterday.

About joint accounts. When I was younger my mom told me never to do that. Keep your own money because you don't know what will happen. So I never did a joint and glad I didn't. Women can be taken advantage of and she keep telling me that. She was old school but I think it was still good advice. Another is don't put someone else on your phone service or sign as a co-signer for anything.

MayinJerset
June 26th, 2014, 09:40 AM
Lorie, Having my morning coffee here in Jersey at 8am. Good advice for women to have their own accounts no matter how small the balance is. Both DH and I have our own checking accounts for about 45 years. Didn't have them for our first 10 -15 years as we had only enough to get by week by week. Our joint account is for paying bills which I take care of. If something happened to me my DH wouldn't know where to find the checkbook even though it has been in the same desk drawer for about 30 years. He has no idea what our utilities cost or what our real estate taxes are and when they are due,. He takes care of Income Taxes and we are always audited because every year he makes dumb mistakes adding incorrectly or not filling in a line so I don't let him anywhere near the joint checkbook. My accounts always reconcile to the penny so it's Hands Off DH as he sort of rounds off his monthly statement.

Having my own account isn't something my Mother told me as she never had her own bank account or checking account and paid bills in cash. One advice she did give me, and it's something I've passed along to my sons, is that when you get your paycheck you always put money aside for your bills and other expenses. I had my first job while in high school, banks were only open until 3pm so she cashed my check at the local bank, took out my room and board money for herself and put $5 in my bank account. Of course what was left over was only a few dollars but I made it last. Nowadays we all have direct deposit and also pay bills online or by auto deduction but I still like paying by check. Gives me the opportunity to keep an eye on the budget and to find ways to cut expenses when we're paying for services we no longer need.

GrammaBabs
June 26th, 2014, 10:10 AM
Smiling... May just put the reverse for my household... but I do have "my own" money,,, heck we've together for so long and he takes such good care, never want for a thing,,, I gave up trying to be "independent" and just enjoy.... Heck,,, whoever does it well, should be the one to do it!!! right!!!
ps... I will say in my defense,,, he eats well and healthy,, always has clean clothes,, and is loved more than life itself...LOL
To some, I am an embarrassment to our sex...:)

MayinJerset
June 26th, 2014, 11:08 AM
GrammaBabs, We do what works for us so keep at it as you guys are doing fine.

I'm the oldest of 7 and grew up having a lot of responsibilities as my Mother's Helper. When questioned why I didn't begin school with kindergarten instead of first grade my Mother replied that I was needed at home. Took off many days when I was in high school to take care of the family when my mother had my 2 younger sisters and took a week off from work at 17 when my youngest brother was born. DH was in the Marines when we married and was sent to Japan during the last days of the Korean War so being at home with a small child I had take care of bills, etc. DH does get good meals and company but I must admit I sort of fall down with the laundry bit. When I notice he's wearing the Spider Man Undies that DGS Ben gave him so they had matching undies I know it's time to get some clothes washed for him, LOL!

We mid century gals were caught between the old ways and the changing times and sometimes I do wish I could Let George Do It instead of me, although my George is named Gene.

toggpine
June 26th, 2014, 01:06 PM
I think it's what works best for you and your situation.

My husband was a "used" model when I got him. After his first go at the married thing he figured out how to cook, clean, and do his own laundry. I know he can do these things, but I don't usually ask him to. There are times when he will do them willingly. I especially like it when he cooks, although he's a bit weak on the cleaning up part.

I had sorted the laundry and started a few loads before heading out on some errands. My mother came over and arrived before I returned. She saw Hubby toting the laundry basket down the hall and asked him about it. Thinking he was being funny, he said "Well, if I want clean clothes I had better do the laundry."
It made Mom mad thinking I didn't do his laundry. He had to explain I had it staged and started, and he was just helping make my chores go faster. In her house Dad doesn't do those things, so it would never have occurred to her that he was joking.

We have separate checking accounts. After #1 he insisted on that, and I can't say I blame him. Again, it's all about what works for you.