PDA

View Full Version : Growing Pains

Thanksmom!
June 25th, 2014, 06:33 PM
Hello,
I recently discovered MSQC and so appreciate their efforts in teaching, website - ease of access, including pictures and commentary.
5 days ago I placed my first order. In placing my order, I took the time to sign up because I want to be a returning customer. I was finalizing my order, my CC already entered, on the last step (I think...new website) when the deal of the day changed from .25 to $5.95. I went ahead and processed the order, believing your great customer service would give me a credit. The time stamp of my order was was exactly 100 PST (12 midnight CST-the time the daily deal expires).
I DO understand how one can't keep daily deals for an end of the week purchase (read the post in this forum).

I emailed customer service, with the time stamp, asking for a refund. I sent a second email Monday/Tuesday afternoon. I called customer service 3 times, always directed to leave a message. I hesitated as I couldn't get an email response (less time for MSQC), I did leave a message until earlier this afternoon.
My card was charged immediately upon order and 5 days later, your records indicate my purchase has not yet shipped.

I don't know how to get in touch with a REAL person.

Reading earlier discussions about customer service issues, I would like to give MSQC the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps in this last week of June, there is a good explanation for MSQC staff not responding via email.

Constructive Suggestions:
1. If MSQC is overwhelmed with orders, please let the customer know in the automated email received after placing an order. I would be fine with waiting for shipping, just let me know.
2. Please do not charge my CC until the items have shipped. I believe it is a common (and legal?) practice to do so unless clearly stated otherwise.
3. If a customer contacts you via the links you provide, and if the staff is too busy to respond within 24 hrs. please send auto response that someone will get back to me within "x" number of days.
4. If someone is just finalizing their order, at 11:59 CST, please have the IT folks adjust for 1-5 minute grace period. I have had airline flights increase in price in the middle of an order, but as I was actively getting seat assignments etc., they charged me the lower price.

Thank you.

stationarymom
June 26th, 2014, 03:21 AM
If you e mail them you might have better luck getting a response. MSQC recently had two national stories done about them,so the number of shoppers is growing tremendously.The store also just had a big sale which has slowed up the shipping time.So contact them via e mail and you should get a response.Try to be patient I'm sure they are swamped.

K. McEuen
June 26th, 2014, 04:38 AM
Um... Isn't 1.00 am PST actually 3.00 am CST? I am in Mountain time and it's 11pm when it is midnight in Missouri.

You are welcome.

Hulamoon
June 26th, 2014, 09:27 AM
Since I live in Hawaii I buy a lot on line and always have to pay and get charged before shipping. Never heard of being charged when shipped. With the dd I pay real close attention to time because of where I live too.

Karen I love your tattoo!

Louise
June 26th, 2014, 12:11 PM
Many companys wait to charge your cc until an item ships i think its just the companys perogative

ozziepuppy
June 26th, 2014, 12:24 PM
Your suggestions are good, but unfortunately your time zones are backward. However, I did not realize people even had to adjust for time zones--thought the software would take care of that. Guess I am lucky to live in CST!

buckeyequilter
June 26th, 2014, 12:48 PM
I am in EST and the DD changes at 1 am for me. I use PayPal and am charged immediately. I've had to call them a few times and always got someone on the phone. If, on my first try, I don't get someone I hang up and try later. I always wait until I know the shop is open, which is 10 am EST.

bubba
June 26th, 2014, 01:07 PM
Karen I love your tattoo!

I think those are referred to as 'tramp stamps'! :icon_rofl:

K. McEuen
June 26th, 2014, 01:40 PM
I think those are referred to as 'tramp stamps'! :icon_rofl:

That is not my rear end

Cat77
June 26th, 2014, 03:52 PM
That is not my rear end
Proof? :icon_heh:

K. McEuen
June 26th, 2014, 05:22 PM
Proof? :icon_heh:

You really don't want to go there ...

Sylvia H
June 26th, 2014, 06:41 PM
I agree that the OP is mistaken regarding time zones differences. However, she has made several other valid points that should be considered. And while allowing that M* may be overwhelmed because of national news stories and a big sale, they still owe it to their customers - old and new - to communicate the problems they are encountering, explain how they are correcting those problems, AND provide something extra to their customers for any delays. Bottom line, they weren't staffed well enough for the influx of business, and customers should not have to suffer because of that. This type of situation has been a downfall of many businesses. I haven't called CS, but does the message advise the caller that there may be a delay of several days before they receive a call back? That should eliminate multiple calls from the same person. Then when the call is returned, give the customer a few extra "bucks" (or bonus points? Whatever you get when you purchase something) in consideration for the inconvenience.

K. McEuen
June 26th, 2014, 07:25 PM
I agree that the OP is mistaken regarding time zones differences. However, she has made several other valid points that should be considered. And while allowing that M* may be overwhelmed because of national news stories and a big sale, they still owe it to their customers - old and new - to communicate the problems they are encountering, explain how they are correcting those problems, AND provide something extra to their customers for any delays. Bottom line, they weren't staffed well enough for the influx of business, and customers should not have to suffer because of that. This type of situation has been a downfall of many businesses. I haven't called CS, but does the message advise the caller that there may be a delay of several days before they receive a call back? That should eliminate multiple calls from the same person. Then when the call is returned, give the customer a few extra "bucks" (or bonus points? Whatever you get when you purchase something) in consideration for the inconvenience.

Yes, the OP was mistaken in her time differences and the fact that she was cheated out of the Daily Deal price that "rolled over" as she was checking out. She was 3 hours late. There is no way that happened to her.

Also, MSQC does give out Quilter's Cash for inconveniences quite often. They gave me a small amount when I contacted them about my order of June 13th.

I do agree that communication needs to be better in situations like this. That's one reason why I usually send Alan an email asking him to come and calm the masses. And before anyone jumps in with "you shouldn't have to remind him" the guy has a huge weight on his shoulders helping to run this business and grow it and the town of Hamilton. I don't have a problem poking him in the side once in a while to remind him. It comes fairly natural for me since I've been doing the same type thing to Board of Directors for the past 10+ years.

Claire OneStitchAtATime
June 26th, 2014, 08:28 PM
I'm totally sympathetic to the OP's issues calculating time zones. When I have work things going on that involve people in other time zones, I keep a widget up on my computer so I don't mess it up. It's so easy to get wrong & miscalculate.

As to M*'s issues -- as I understand it, a small family business has had exponential growth & a tremendous impact on an otherwise struggling rural community. I don't know the Doans at all, but I'd guess they have no experience running a huge business & there's sure to be a learning curve. Give 'em time. I'd hate to see them have to sell the business to Amazon or whoever. I've driven through plenty of economically depressed little towns in Missouri & Arkansas & Nebraska & Iowa, and this one has a lifeline, & furthermore, a lifeline that offers free web tutorials to the whole world & has beautiful fabric.

MaryD
June 26th, 2014, 10:08 PM
In the matter of your credit card being accessed before shipping, I think it is a sensible thing to do before you cut into fabric for someone's order. If you wait till the order is dispatched before you find there are no funds available you're left with cut fabric which has to be returned to stock. It would not be worth the extra time and computer programming to check if the every order has fabric or not before charging it.

My orders which are largish are usually in the post in about four days. I have never ordered the specials as postage would be $25, and I imagine that they must have thousands of orders for the specials alone each week - someone said 7,000 for Freaky Friday. There was a celebration recently when they dispatched 2,000 odd packages in one day - a record. Freaky Friday would have taken more than three days to clear, if they didn't do anything else.

M* has increased it's staff from 70 odd to 115 in six months, so they are trying to keep up with demand. I think Al has said they are waiting till after 4th July before they do the next updating of their systems.

I am very happy with M*. They are doing their best and doing it cheerfully.

Thanksmom!
June 27th, 2014, 04:17 AM
Um... Isn't 1.00 am PST actually 3.00 am CST? I am in Mountain time and it's 11pm when it is midnight in Missouri.

You are welcome.
Thanks for catching my mistake. It should have read 10:00 pm PST, not 100. I believe PST is 2 hours before CST.

Thanksmom!
June 27th, 2014, 04:22 AM
I did email them several times. They did get back to me after my post and gave me a credit. Thanks for your response.

Thanksmom!
June 27th, 2014, 04:28 AM
Hello,
The time should have read 10 00 pm, not 100. When I reviewed my entry prior to posting there was a purple smilely face waving at me in the middle of 10 00. Maybe because I used a colon, not sure. Anyway, tried to get rid of the thing and it caused 10 00 change to 100. My error. Hope this helps

Thanksmom!
June 27th, 2014, 05:00 AM
Yes, the OP was mistaken in her time differences and the fact that she was cheated out of the Daily Deal price that "rolled over" as she was checking out. She was 3 hours late. There is no way that happened to her.

Also, MSQC does give out Quilter's Cash for inconveniences quite often. They gave me a small amount when I contacted them about my order of June 13th.

I do agree that communication needs to be better in situations like this. That's one reason why I usually send Alan an email asking him to come and calm the masses. And before anyone jumps in with "you shouldn't have to remind him" the guy has a huge weight on his shoulders helping to run this business and grow it and the town of Hamilton. I don't have a problem poking him in the side once in a while to remind him. It comes fairly natural for me since I've been doing the same type thing to Board of Directors for the past 10+ years.

The time should have read 10 00 pm, not 100. When I reviewed my entry prior to posting there was a purple smilely face waving at me in the middle of 10 00. Maybe because I used a colon, not sure. Anyway, tried to get rid of the thing and it caused 10 00 change to 100. My error. Hope this helps

Hulamoon
June 27th, 2014, 09:31 AM
The colon and the zero causes the face. I always put a space between them after i realized that. Glad it got resolved for you.

Annie Neal
June 30th, 2014, 03:36 PM
I too have had a problem with my shipment. A piece of cut yardage was short by 3 yards!!! I emailed immediately, giving email and phone number in the email. Waited 4 days and have heard nothing. Tried calling this morning and had to leave a message. I factored in the time difference to be sure they were open when I called. BUT still had to leave a message.

Annie Neal
June 30th, 2014, 03:49 PM
Well, I took some advice from this Forum and called several more times and finally reached a live person. Spoke with Kayla, very nice, apologetic and immediately sent me return label for the wrong cut I received and said that she would send out the correct cut today! Thanks Forum:-)

Wrenmuzz
July 1st, 2014, 04:12 PM
Imagine the fun I have being on British Summertime and then changing to Greenwich Mean Time in the autumn!