PDA

View Full Version : Plant identification?Part 2 from Canada

RiverMomm
June 25th, 2014, 06:26 PM
It's not quilting but I just don't know how to figure this out. You guys were able to help Sandy with her plants . . . maybe you gardening types will know what my flower is.

Ok folks. I have NO idea what this is. It is about 4 feet tall and has some sort of flower head at the top. It's big! Last year it was much smaller and didn't flower. Leaves are thick-almost like a succulent.

I am very curious about this plant. After finding the hidden herb garden, who knows what this is.

Hulamoon
June 25th, 2014, 06:47 PM
Humm I looked in my book and can't find it. It looks like some sort of a vegatable plant to me.

MRoy
June 25th, 2014, 06:54 PM
It looks like wild tobacco to me.

K. McEuen
June 25th, 2014, 06:56 PM
It looks like wild tobacco to me.

Not to be confused with wacky tobaccy ...

MRoy
June 25th, 2014, 07:22 PM
LOL! That's right Karen. This one just grows wild and hopefully it doesn't make you act wacky!

bubba
June 25th, 2014, 07:43 PM
I'm pretty sure it is poison oak. We had one that we pampered like a baby for a couple years....until we saw a report of them on the news! We are not gardeners, but I know better than to have that around! We read how to get rid of it (you have to be very very very careful), and it never came back. Breathing it and even touching the sap from it can make you deathly ill. I just tried to get a picture of what we had, but the ones on the internet look nothing like what we had. I will ask MM when he gets up exactly what it was. I wonder if it looks different in different zones.

Carol336
June 25th, 2014, 07:54 PM
LOL - thinking the same thing

K. McEuen
June 25th, 2014, 07:56 PM
Looks nothing like any poison oak I've ever seen ...

K. McEuen
June 25th, 2014, 08:01 PM
Ok, I had to laugh. I did a Google picture search on the plant, nothing even remotely similar but this came up in the search ...

Someone looking for BillNye? :icon_heh:

Hulamoon
June 25th, 2014, 08:05 PM
Wacky tobaccy has more leaves. :icon_crazy:

RiverMomm
June 25th, 2014, 08:08 PM
It's not poison oak -I know that by sight. This is sort of an fuzzy leaf plant. Soft and slightly thick leaves. It was obviously planted in the location but it was low . . . well until this year.

RiverMomm
June 25th, 2014, 08:13 PM
Maybe Mullein? Never heard of it. But it looks a lot like the plant.

Mullein Leaf Tincture, 1 oz Hap Mountain Herbal Online Store Powered by Storenvy (http://hapmountainherbal.com/products/1416879-mullein-leaf-tincture-1-oz)

Hulamoon
June 25th, 2014, 08:16 PM
I don't have a phone but here you go

DIY: Identify Leaves and Flowers (There's an App for That): Gardenista (http://www.gardenista.com/posts/diy-identify-leaves-and-flowers-theres-an-app-for-that)

Greyjay
June 25th, 2014, 08:16 PM
I think this is a common Mullein.
Great Mullein (Verbascum thapsus) (http://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/weeds/plants/great_mullein.htm)

Doloris
June 25th, 2014, 08:21 PM
Ok, I had to laugh. I did a Google picture search on the plant, nothing even remotely similar but this came up in the search ...

Someone looking for BillNye? :icon_heh:

Karen how do you do a picture search????

RiverMomm
June 25th, 2014, 08:22 PM
Yep, I am pretty sure its Verbascum Thapsus- Mullein. Thanks all!

K. McEuen
June 25th, 2014, 08:25 PM
Karen how do you do a picture search????

It's an add-on for Google Chrome. You can add that function to your browser if you run in Chrome and once it's been added on, all you do is right click on the image and it gives you the option to do a search.

Doloris
June 25th, 2014, 08:43 PM
It's an add-on for Google Chrome. You can add that function to your browser if you run in Chrome and once it's been added on, all you do is right click on the image and it gives you the option to do a search.
Ahhh thanks. I don't run chrome, just regular google. My DS is always trying to get me to use chrome. Maybe this is my incentive to try it. :)

bubba
June 25th, 2014, 08:48 PM
Wacky tobaccy has more leaves. :icon_crazy:

And you would know this because......

sewlucky
June 25th, 2014, 08:53 PM
Too bad you already have the flower, no good for sore throats now ;)

Terri

Maybe Mullein? Never heard of it. But it looks a lot like the plant.

Mullein Leaf Tincture, 1 oz Hap Mountain Herbal Online Store Powered by Storenvy (http://hapmountainherbal.com/products/1416879-mullein-leaf-tincture-1-oz)

Hulamoon
June 25th, 2014, 09:00 PM
And you would know this because......

It was a high school class where you had to learn plant classification.:D

Sandy Navas
June 25th, 2014, 09:01 PM
The best Wacky Tobaccy comes from the state of Hawaii (so I've been told).

I thought it was probably mullein, but the mullein we have here has fuzzy leaves. We have to types actually, the fuzzy leafed one has a stalk that grows and has small yellow blooms at the top. The other plant is smaller and has a very nondescript bloom.

Can't find a picture of the other one, so perhaps it is not mullein.

K. McEuen
June 25th, 2014, 09:03 PM
The best Wacky Tobaccy comes from the state of Hawaii (so I've been told).

I was waiting for someone to bring up Maui Wowie

Jean Sewing Machine
June 25th, 2014, 09:44 PM
I think it is a big ugly weed! Chop it out!

New York Sue
June 25th, 2014, 10:32 PM
This is hysterical!

Where's Ryan??

bubba
June 25th, 2014, 10:47 PM
The plant I was thinking of is really poison hemlock. Your pictures look exactly like what we had.

Sandy Navas
June 25th, 2014, 11:16 PM
Pat, this is poison hemlock - I moved here and thought this was the most beautiful plant (HUH???) and let it grow until I found out what it was:

RiverMomm
June 25th, 2014, 11:17 PM
Yes, it looks like it is a two year plant. The first year is the best for whatever they use for sore throats. But it said "best" so I would guess that it could still be used for it if needed. That said, I won't be using it for my throat or anything else. LOL But I will be waiting for the flowers to bloom. I think I will rip the guy out before it goes to seed tho.

Too bad you already have the flower, no good for sore throats now ;)

Terri

Sandy Navas
June 25th, 2014, 11:20 PM
Poison oak versus poison sumac and poison ivy:

FabStripper
June 25th, 2014, 11:38 PM
Is it horseradish?

RiverMomm
June 26th, 2014, 12:02 AM
As I discover the hidden treasures planted in my garden, I can't help but wonder . . . who in the world took a look at this plant and thought "hey, I bet this would be great for sore throats!" Or that matter, who used dill or mint for the first time?

But it has been fun seeing all the goodies planted. The young couple who own this house, worked for years making the yard a very pleasant environment. Lots of flowering bushes, flowers, hedges and (surprise) herbs. I used some fresh dill in our dinner tonight.

bkthomas
June 26th, 2014, 03:19 AM
I think it is a big ugly weed! Chop it out!

Jean, I can't stop laughing......that was priceless!!!

HandsomeRyan
June 26th, 2014, 07:11 AM
You all have to stop posting these plant ID questions when I'm not online! I want to play but by the time I find these threads the next morning the correct answers have already been given.

Bonus fact: The leaves of mullein can be used as bandages to help stop bleeding if you ever cut yourself badly and are out in the wilderness. The fuzzyness helps the blood collect and clot.