PDA

View Full Version : It Must Be Love

Meli
June 25th, 2014, 02:32 PM
My husband is the least curious person I've ever met. I can wrap up a present for him and he'll ask what it is, then ignore it until it's time to open it. He also doesn't get surprised easily. When I can surprise him, though, it's so very cool.

I told him a week ago that we were going on a date on the 24th. "Where?" "I'll tell you when we get there." He shrugged it off.

Monday, I sent him a reminder on his phone. It was a calendar reminder and he had the option of accepting, rejecting, or "maybe". He chose "maybe." Brat.

I could tell that he wasn't feeling top notch on Tuesday, but I already had tickets and there was no turning back. I directed him to drive across town to park, then we walked three blocks to the venue called Kingsbury Hall. We were a few minutes late and the warm up band was already playing. keyboard, fiddle and electric guitar and old school country music. Jim looked mildly surprised but settled in and was obviously enjoying.

Finally, I told him who the main act was: Merle Haggard. Being a laid back kind of guy, he just nodded and said, "Cool." Honestly, I was kind of disappointed. And then the concert started. He kept time with his feet, he whooped and hollered through the songs, he laughed and grinned and acted like a loon through the whole thing. It was great!

After the concert, he asked me if I'd had a good time. Because, you see, I am NOT a Merle Haggard fan, didn't know any of his music, and don't really like old school country as a rule, I like Duran Duran, Sting, Styx, Queen, Sinead O'Conner, Adam Ant and the Sex Pistols. And me buying tickets to take him to a concert where there was a very real chance I iwouldn't enjoy it caught him completely off guard. And had him still grinning like a fool when I went to bed.

toggpine
June 25th, 2014, 03:00 PM
It is fabulous that you were able to surprise him! It is great that you went with something that you knew would please him, even if it wasn't your thing.

Good job!

Sandy Navas
June 25th, 2014, 03:06 PM
Love it!! What a great surprise for the unsupriseable man in your life.

BTW what's the latest on your MIL????

HandsOffItsMine
June 25th, 2014, 03:13 PM
Great that you surprise him and he enjoyed it so much! This would be right up there with me taking Don to a Cream or Creadence Clear Water concert - not my cup of tea. ;) BUT I would sit through it 'cause he would so enjoy it. lol

The things we do for LOVE!

MayinJerset
June 25th, 2014, 03:57 PM
Good job of surprising him and happy that you both enjoyed yourselves for different reasons, after all It must be love....!

Meli
June 25th, 2014, 04:49 PM
In the interest of full disclosure, I actually did enjoy the concert. You also need to know we're in Utah. Mr. Haggard is funny. He started singing, got a few bars in and stopped. Said he forgot the words, which made us all laugh. It happened a second time. More giggling. He just stared out at us and said, "Hey, when I wrote this, I was at sea level!!!"

His last song was Okie from Muskokie. The first line says something about marijuana, and some of the crowd cheered. He stopped and said, "Can we try that again? And when I sing that line can more of you respond? I know it's legal in a good part of the country, but they haven't made it legal here yet!" So he started over and we all did as we were told.

Interesting to note he is 77 and still touring. His wife Theresa tours with him (she's about 54) as does their 17 year old son, Ben. Told Jim he's about the same age now that Merle was when he married Theresa and started having more kids. Jim let me know he will NOT be following that lead!