PDA

View Full Version : It's Wednesday, middle of the week day.

Monique
June 25th, 2014, 07:12 AM
Wednesday already?

All packed and ready to go. If all goes well, I will meet up with Wendy on Saturday. I am really looking forward to meeting her.

I really don't have a whole lot to tell this morning. Another grey day. I guess it will be good for traveling.

SMILE everyone and have a superb day.

HandsomeRyan
June 25th, 2014, 07:57 AM
Morning all!

I don't think that I have met any other M* members (or if I did, I didn't know it at the time). I'm hopeful that I'll meet some of you in real life sooner or later.

Today is work, getting my truck emissions inspected (the truck is 21 years old, I hope it passes), then working on a wall hanging for my quilting room because a friend pointed out that the walls of my "quilt studio" are bare.

I stopped by my LQS (http://www.patchesquilting.com/) yesterday and bought the fabric I think I'll need. I saw they are carrying the "Made in the USA" fabric (although I don't think they had the entire line) so I chose one of the medium blues to use for part of this project. It feels nice and it was at least 1/3 less expensive than the foreign-made prints I bought. I have high hopes for it.

Bonus: They offer regular customers 2 free fat quarters if they visit during their birth month (May for me). Well I never made it in May but my wife talked the lady into letting me pick out two FQs even though I'm almost a month late. Free fabric!

GrammaBabs
June 25th, 2014, 08:27 AM
Keeping fingers crossed for your truck... what make..?
I come from a car family!!
We still have in our garage (pretty packed as it were),,, the 1979 Cougar XR7 that Mr. Bill bought in 1979 brand new.. I call it a "sled", but it's his pride and joy with everything still original..:)
Have to check out this Made in USA fabric stuff!

HandsomeRyan
June 25th, 2014, 09:01 AM
Keeping fingers crossed for your truck... what make..?

The truck is a 1994 model year Nissan "Hardbody" XE. Basically a very little, very basic pickup truck. It belonged to my grandfather who bought it new but he passed away about a decade ago. My grandmother kept the truck and various family members used it to do "truck things" like hauling mulch or making runs to the dump but no one was really maintaining it. Two years ago I told my grandmother that I thought I could fix the truck if it were here in MD with me (she lives in TN). She agreed and gave me the truck because it was so broken that no one was driving it anymore. I replaced the spark plug wires, air filter, fluids, belts, and did some cosmetic work on it and now it runs and drives pretty well for a beater vehicle.
My daily driver is an 11 year old Mazda Protege5 hatchback. It is a decent little car although it is funny to see a guy who is 6'3 260+lbs getting in and out of that little compact car. Both my cars were not that nice when they were new and time and age has not improved them but at least they are both paid for. ...and while I am far from an auto mechanic, I do a lot of my own work on both of them since usually at least one of them is running well enough to get me to and from the auto parts store while the other is in pieces.

aliaslaceygreen
June 25th, 2014, 09:11 AM
LOL, Ryan! My DH is your size at least, and he does most of his car work....and likes having the second vehicle around for a quick run to the parts place just down at the county line ...We have a lovely paved driveway so he can scatter parts everywhere, though he is good about making sure none are leftover!!!
He won't do the old beaters though, he is a bit of a serial car collector....although two at a time is all he can afford (plus mine, which gets to be the sensible carry things vehicle)...

Looks like another hot one....
Carry on, and quilt!!!

(((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))

MayinJerset
June 25th, 2014, 10:26 AM
Dreary, damp and dull this morning, is that the weather or how I feel? Think I'm coming down with a cold or maybe my morning coffee hasn't kicked in yet. That maybe because we're using coffee with 1/2 the regular caffeine. No matter what I still have to get some sewing done this morning and then out food shopping this afternoon, down to last slices of bread and no lunch or dinner food.

Had a nice time yesterday at Granny's lunch, we went to a Goodfella's small restaurant on Staten Island and then back to Ann's for tea, fruit and cake and talked for a few hours. The gals thought my plans for our next meeting at my house in August were pretty good. They said they wanted to do something different so I'll have machines set up and we'll have a mini pillowcase sew in. Sometime soon I'll get over the my Guild's meeting place and pick up already cut pillowcase sets for them to sew. Going with the most simple ConKerr cancer one, if they are really interested I'll show them the Hot Dog style one next.

Speaking of sewing I have my color challenge quilt cut out and ready to sew. Don't know if I've shown real depth in my use of the fabrics so I think I'll leave it on the design wall a bit longer, I'll take a photo and look at that for awhile.

ravelim
June 25th, 2014, 10:26 AM
Smile pic is so cute.

I know nothing about the cars though. But it is Wednesday and it is a nice day here in God's country. (Ok,I'm a little biased).

My girls moved out yesterday and I miss them terribly. Guess I'll have to quilt to keep busy. I'm also crocheting a scarf for GD in her college colors.

Have a great day everyone.

Sandy Navas
June 25th, 2014, 10:32 AM
Wednesday already? Where did Monday and Tuesday high-tail it off to? Oh, I know. I've been out in the sun mowing while Al is busy picking up residual sticks and branches. What made two old phardts retirement age think that they had the gumption to keep up with the work around such a large place. Anyone living in an apartment who wants to trade places?

Got a small errand to run this morning and then hopefully I can stay indoors and put some stitches in a quilt top today.

Ya'all have a great one and keep on 'truckin'.

Claire OneStitchAtATime
June 25th, 2014, 10:36 AM
I have a minor surgery scheduled today. General anesthesia, so no coffee for me this morning (or breakfast). It shouldn't be a big deal, but nobody likes surgery, however small, & I'd be more ready to face it on a cup of coffee....

HandsomeRyan
June 25th, 2014, 10:55 AM
I have a minor surgery scheduled today. General anesthesia, so no coffee for me this morning (or breakfast). It shouldn't be a big deal, but nobody likes surgery, however small, & I'd be more ready to face it on a cup of coffee....

I hope everything goes well and you have a speedy and pain-free recovery.

shermur
June 25th, 2014, 11:03 AM
Morning, everyone! Still super busy around this house!

Hubby comes up today from Arkansas to see the last two softball games of Halona's season...her team is tied for second place with two other teams. Her coach just emailed this morning asking if it was possible for Halona (halgal13) to participate in the after season tournament and on whether she could fulfill her position in the All Star game. I advised Halona's coach we probably couldn't make the tournament, but hubby stated he would make sure she could make the All Star game!

Yesterday, I finally got up into the attic and started looking things over for the keep pile and the "out of here" pile. I found receipts and documents back to 1997. Guess what I was doing yesterday....shred, shred, shred!

A donation group called this morning and I advised they come by next Tuesday morning to keep up anything that we wouldn't be taking with us!

6 more days and we head to our new home and our new life!

sewluvit
June 25th, 2014, 12:07 PM
Morning, everyone! Still super busy around this house!

Hubby comes up today from Arkansas to see the last two softball games of Halona's season...her team is tied for second place with two other teams. Her coach just emailed this morning asking if it was possible for Halona (halgal13) to participate in the after season tournament and on whether she could fulfill her position in the All Star game. I advised Halona's coach we probably couldn't make the tournament, but hubby stated he would make sure she could make the All Star game!

Yesterday, I finally got up into the attic and started looking things over for the keep pile and the "out of here" pile. I found receipts and documents back to 1997. Guess what I was doing yesterday....shred, shred, shred!

A donation group called this morning and I advised they come by next Tuesday morning to keep up anything that we wouldn't be taking with us!

6 more days and we head to our new home and our new life!

Sherri
I am doing the same as you. Our furniture is arriving at our new home on July 4th. Exciting to start over in a new place too and there is a more than decent quilt shop very close by! ;)

MayinJerset
June 25th, 2014, 12:29 PM
GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY TIMES TO BOTH OF YOU IN YOUR NEW HOMES.

Sandy Navas
June 25th, 2014, 12:41 PM
Sending prayers for Claire and a good outcome to her surgery, prayers for May's cousin's daughter, prayers for successful ballgames and moving plans. It sure ain't easy.

Ran to the grocery store while I was out this morning. Told Al I was popping in to pick up a loaf of bread. Came home with lots of stuff, but absolutely NO BREAD. No sandwiches for lunch today!!

Jean Sewing Machine
June 25th, 2014, 01:04 PM
Claire, hope everything goes well for you today in your surgery.

My heart is breaking today for one of my fellow costumers. We've collaborated on a number of plays, and I really enjoy working with her. There was a well reported hit and run accident last week here in St. Louis that killed a bicyclist. I found out yesterday that the bicyclist was my friend's husband, age 54, he was an avid cyclist, using the side city streets for his cycling runs. They have two kids, one in college, one just getting ready to go to college. I just can't imagine the pain they are all going through right now. They haven't found the motorist who hit him, and the cycling community staged a protest over the weekend for safe bike routes in our city. When it was first reported, they didn't say the victim's name, so I didn't know it was my friend's husband until we got a message from the theatre group where she and I worked together about his memorial event. It is so sad.

My brother and I went to see the opera "The Magic Flute" last night. The director/ designer was Isaac Mizrahi! Needless to say, the costumes and staging were OVER THE TOP! A visual feast as well as being beautifully sung, he also added ballet to it, so there was always a lot going on! Imagine the Queen of the night entering with a 100 foot long deep blue silk train attached to her costume, completely bedazzled with crystals that covered the complete stage and followed her up a 12 foot staircase, talk about some serious designing going on there! I kept saying, OMG, OMG! One special effect was better than the previous one! But not so over the top to take away from the story. We had great seats, way expensive, but worth it! It was my birthday present to my brother who turns 65 next Monday.

Not much going on now, hope to get some sewing done later! Have a great day!

ravelim
June 25th, 2014, 01:20 PM
I totally agree with Ryan. Prayers are going out for you.

Sandy Navas
June 25th, 2014, 03:11 PM
Jean, I cannot imagine the heartache your friend is going through. Such a tragedy.

quiltingtrish
June 25th, 2014, 05:05 PM
Oh my Jean, I am so sorry to hear of your friend's tragedy. Bicycle lanes are a good thing, but when I was in D.C., they were a nightmare to me. Not only were there bicyclists, there were also pedestrians, people on those Sedgways, and the red lights were never at the same place on the corners. One corner they were up top in the middle of the intersection and the next one they were down on a pole beside the street. By the time I got out of the city, my eyeballs felt like they were doing up/down/left/right exercises just looking to see what might be in the way. I will keep you and your friend in my prayers.

Hot, hot, hot here - was supposed to thunderstorm starting around noon so I hurried up to get my food shopping finished and the car vacuumed and cleaned so I wouldn't be out in it. It's 3:45 here now and no rain, that sun is just a shining away! I know it's probably waiting to downpour just in time for the new bed to arrive. They are to deliver it between 3 and 5. I ordered an Ultra-Firm mattress and I hope it isn't too hard. DH swears it will help our backs, we'll find out.

Just had a wonderful week in Florida to see Katie. She is still on medical hold, hoping that is over soon. They think there is extra skin surrounding her heart but I think she is fine. Waiting on heart monitor results in a few weeks yet. We spent a few days with DH's sister and had dinner with a cousin of mine who we haven't seen in about 24 years. It was wonderful to see everyone. Why is it that I didn't think to take photos? I suppose we were too busy yacking and catching up. We also found the perfect beach with beautiful blue water so clear and gorgeous white sand and waves that would crash over you but not too bad that you couldn't ride them in. I haven't done that since I was a kid. I would have liked to stay longer, but work was calling. The trip was too long - about 2300 miles round trip. I hope she doesn't get stationed in California - that would be my excuse to take a cross-country trip out there. Odie was out there but not long enough for a trip to be made. If I ever do take that one, I'll be stopping in to see a few of you all. I wish I could have stopped in to see Blondie, but DH was along and wanted to get home. Argh. Maybe I won't take him next time, haha.
Well, off here for now. I have a few hours to spend in the quilt room tonight, trying to finish up a baby quilt among other things.
Have a great day everyone!
Hugs,

Claire OneStitchAtATime
June 25th, 2014, 05:09 PM
Well I'm in the recovery room & back on the M* forum so that's a good sign, right?

Jean, I'm feeling for your friend. That's beyond awful.