PDA

View Full Version : Ever been to Independence Missouri? Need dining advice….

Familyjournals
June 22nd, 2014, 06:56 PM
We are going to Missouri soon and will be stopping in Independence. Could anyone give us a dining review on any of the following?
Samari Chef
Ophelia's Restaurant
Cafe Verona

Thanks a bunch!

kensington
June 23rd, 2014, 02:04 AM
I've not eaten at any of them. But... My mil and sil and all of her family love that Samari Chef and eat there all the time for special occasions.

Verona and Ophelia's are both on the Square in Independence, both get good reviews. The Square has other shops and things up there. Antiques and such. There is a theater too, it only cost like $2.00 to see a movie.

Familyjournals
June 23rd, 2014, 02:09 AM
Thanks for letting us know. We were leaning towards that Samari Chef. Those type of restaurants are always so much fun. Thanks for the "dining review". Appreciate it!

kensington
June 23rd, 2014, 02:14 AM
Well, it wasn't much of a revue, but glad I could help.

Now, if you want BBQ.. I'm your girl. LOL. If you don't mind getting off downtown and eating at a really old place... Gates' and Son's is for you.

NO... come to think of it, they have a Gate's on 40 Highway... In Independence. I ALWAYS get the "Beef and Ham, Combo and a Half"... it's more than anyone can eat alone. My favorite.

If you want a burger... Big Boy is on 40 Highway too. "Double Cheeseburger"... is the way to go.

If you want Steak... Hereford House in Independence is really good. Upscale, nice. For Prime Rib... You can go to Hereford House too, but Out Back is just as good for half the price. Enjoy your trip!

Familyjournals
June 23rd, 2014, 02:59 AM
This is what I wanted for sure! We like to try out new places, it's safe when traveling to pick chains but it's so fun when you get personal recommendations. My husband LOVES BBQ, and I'm a salad gal. But we need to keep him happy so he can stay entertained while I shop in Hamilton. :) We have an Out Back out here and that's always good but to do the new thing it sounds like Gates' and Son's and the Hereford House will be on the agenda. That is great! I can't wait to tell him!!!!! Sure appreciate you. Thanks a bunch!

Claire OneStitchAtATime
June 23rd, 2014, 11:29 AM
Hereford House is yummy. Also don't miss the Truman library, which is very interesting; and there's an old-fashioned soda fountain downtown where Truman used to work as a lad if you'd like soda or ice cream.

Familyjournals
June 23rd, 2014, 02:33 PM
Thank you! That is great to know. I'm a history buff and I'd love that. Always good to know where to get an ice cream!

kensington
June 23rd, 2014, 03:26 PM
The Soda fountain is on the square, across from Ophelia's, on the south side of the square. We've been there.

Claire OneStitchAtATime
June 23rd, 2014, 03:32 PM
Well, then, allow lots of time for the Truman library! I wouldn't call myself a history buff but I found it fascinating.

Familyjournals
June 23rd, 2014, 04:30 PM
The Soda fountain is on the square, across from Ophelia's, on the south side of the square. We've been there.

Then if I eat salads I can wolf something down at the Soda fountain. Always room for ice cream! Sounds like fun.

BobW
June 23rd, 2014, 04:36 PM
I think there is a restaurant called Stroud's. It was one of Harry & Bess Trumans favorite. They serve pan friend chicken and country ham, homemade mashed potatoes, gravy, green beans and the likes. They also serve fresh, hot apple fritters that are rolled in powdered sugar.

Stroud's (http://www.stroudsrestaurant.com/menu.html)

They serve everything home style.

Familyjournals
June 23rd, 2014, 05:31 PM
Bob, my husband would love that! I'm putting together an itinerary and it's getting full. Can't wait until we go!