PDA

View Full Version : What do you do when you realize you've truly messed up?

Sandy Navas
June 22nd, 2014, 05:35 PM
Picture this. Five charm packs from Stonehenge - Stone Chips Autumn collection . . . LOVE IT.

Falling charms quilt - ahh.

So I bought three coordinating brown fabrics - one for the sashings, one for a small inner border, and one for the outside border. Great going - light inside, dark brown small, then the golden brown that matches so well.

This morning I pulled out my project box (after thoroughly cleaning my sewing machine, changing the needle, winding bobbins) and cut the sashing pieces using my June Taylor strip cutter, cutting 2 1/2 inch strips. I sorted the charm packs making piles of the similar prints and have to say I managed to drool on a few of them. I also pulled out a few that I just didn't feel went well. 42 pieces in each of 5 packs - 210 pieces - so I probably pulled out maybe 20 total. That will make a wonderful sized quilt.

And I sewed, strip sewing, stopping after every 10 strips or so to clip and then press open. And as I'm sewing up the last of probably 190 charm squares it hits me right between the eyes . . . I cut the sashing from the WRONG fabric.

I'm pressing (always to the dark side??) and it dawns on me that the contrast I need in this quilt is sorely lacking.

URGH!!! I'm heading out tomorrow to see if I can find a wig because I think I've pulled the last of my hair out.

MORAL of the story? Don't sew when you should be thinking.

Monique
June 22nd, 2014, 05:38 PM
Awww poor you. So what do you do now?

Sandy Navas
June 22nd, 2014, 05:45 PM
I got on M*QC and ordered 4 more yards fabric - I'm going to have enough to finish the falling charms with a very low contrast, but it will be all mine . . . Maybe I'll need to come up with a brand new pattern.

JudyAnn
June 22nd, 2014, 05:53 PM
Aww Sandy, I'm sorry ... and I can totally relate. I recently made a jelly roll race quilt and half of it has the green on the wrong side. I stomped around the sewing room and ranted at raved.... then just gave up. It is what it is!

Jerry's wife
June 22nd, 2014, 06:26 PM
Many times our so called 'mistakes' lead to a wonderful NEW idea. Before you go and hurt yourself because you did a lil' goof up, just go with the flow and realize - YOU just did a new pattern all your own! Truly, I am sorry that you make the mistake, but we ALL do it at one time or another. SAVE those that you have sewn and pressed - it WILL be used one day & end up likely being one of your very favorites. Be oh! so positive!

Marebear
June 22nd, 2014, 06:34 PM
Contrast?? Who needs contrast!! Just call it "my tonal quilt" LOL :D

Cathy F
June 22nd, 2014, 07:46 PM
I feel your pain Sandy. I did that big boo-boo thing with my D9P. I cut vertically the right size and then somehow made the horizontal cut a couple fly different size for whatever unknown reason was going on in my head. I thought it was ruined but then thought I'll make all those particular cuts wrong throughout the quilt, voila, a new pattern!

HandsomeRyan
June 22nd, 2014, 07:49 PM
I'm heading out tomorrow to see if I can find a wig because I think I've pulled the last of my hair out.

Bald is beautiful.

Spudgrandma
June 22nd, 2014, 08:01 PM
Some of my mistakes have turned into something much better than what it would have been had I not goofed. It sounds like you have solved your problem though so I hope you have smooth sailing from now on.

Judy, USMC
June 22nd, 2014, 08:05 PM
Sorry to hear that Sandy! I agree that you can call it a tonal quilt.

Bubby
June 22nd, 2014, 08:38 PM
Sandy,

Low contrast (also called low volume) quilts are the rage right now. Are you sure this isn't the beginning of something new and fresh?

BellasQuilts
June 22nd, 2014, 08:45 PM
Yup, you suck it up and go by more fabric....bummer, Sandy.

Mpyles
June 22nd, 2014, 08:50 PM
Make lemonade?

Sylvia H
June 22nd, 2014, 09:22 PM
I don't know what the falling charms design looks like, so maybe my suggestion will work - and maybe it won't. Offering it for consideration. You may want to consider dense quilting in the sashing. Dense quilting adds depth and the illusion of a darker fabric.

alliek
June 22nd, 2014, 09:26 PM
OOOH that is too bad, I am sorry. Put it aside for awhile and then go back when your "sane" again.

JCY
June 22nd, 2014, 11:05 PM
Do you ever plot your quilt patterns out on graph paper & figure out the layout that way? I know it takes time, but that way you know ahead of time just how much of each piece/fabric you need. I bought a large box of colored pencils to help me visualize the colors, etc. of the whole quilt on graph paper. It really helps. JCY

fatquarters
June 23rd, 2014, 12:19 AM
Bald is beautiful.

laughing my butt off!

sewlucky
June 23rd, 2014, 12:25 AM
I would be tempted to add a few appliqué leaves in a high contrast color!!

I'm sure you will find a way to save it :)

Terri

ozziepuppy
June 23rd, 2014, 12:40 AM
I don't think you can go wrong no matter what you do with Stonehenge--such gorgeous fabric! One of my first quilt books that I ever bought had several quilts in it that were all slight variations of the same color--hardly any contrast at all. They were really beautiful. The point was not so much the pattern as the slight variations in tones. Take heart--it may turn out to be beautiful!

Terry L
June 23rd, 2014, 01:42 AM
It will a beautiful quilt regardless of the boo boo :D

Sandy Navas
June 23rd, 2014, 10:33 AM
Learning to say "That's the way I planned it . . . " After looking at tonal quilts I think I made a successful change of plans.

ravelim
June 23rd, 2014, 11:12 AM
Sorry. I hate mistakes but generally someone will turn it into something good. Case in point: I have mentioned this before but it I is driving me nuts. I talk DH into buying a rag die for my accuquilt - bigger money than usually spent. Cut it all out with DH help. Put together and instead of a rag quilt it looks like a LITTLE furry animal! Ugh. My DD bought fabric especially for this quilt. She wanted it. Can't find anymore fabric.

Whew! Thanks for letting me vent .l
I feel your pain.

Over40momma
June 23rd, 2014, 05:31 PM
There you go Sandy, knew you would find a solution to this glitch. Way to go sweetie. :icon_hug:

Blondie
June 23rd, 2014, 06:16 PM
Ah Sandy! At least you are getting to SEW. I am past withdrawal. I am now longing for any free moment to sit and sew.
If you can't find a wig, I can send you the sweepings off of the last few heads I cut. Some long locks and my, what a variety of color you would have! Just let me know.

Picture this. Five charm packs from Stonehenge - Stone Chips Autumn collection . . . LOVE IT.

Falling charms quilt - ahh.

So I bought three coordinating brown fabrics - one for the sashings, one for a small inner border, and one for the outside border. Great going - light inside, dark brown small, then the golden brown that matches so well.

This morning I pulled out my project box (after thoroughly cleaning my sewing machine, changing the needle, winding bobbins) and cut the sashing pieces using my June Taylor strip cutter, cutting 2 1/2 inch strips. I sorted the charm packs making piles of the similar prints and have to say I managed to drool on a few of them. I also pulled out a few that I just didn't feel went well. 42 pieces in each of 5 packs - 210 pieces - so I probably pulled out maybe 20 total. That will make a wonderful sized quilt.

And I sewed, strip sewing, stopping after every 10 strips or so to clip and then press open. And as I'm sewing up the last of probably 190 charm squares it hits me right between the eyes . . . I cut the sashing from the WRONG fabric.

I'm pressing (always to the dark side??) and it dawns on me that the contrast I need in this quilt is sorely lacking.

URGH!!! I'm heading out tomorrow to see if I can find a wig because I think I've pulled the last of my hair out.

MORAL of the story? Don't sew when you should be thinking.

songbird857
June 23rd, 2014, 06:23 PM
Sorry to hear that Sandy! I agree that you can call it a tonal quilt.
Sandy - If you're reallllly unhappy you can send it my way! I adore tonal quilts ;)

Sandy Navas
June 23rd, 2014, 08:38 PM
UPDATE: Li'l Sis saw it today and thinks it looks fantastic. What do I know?

auntiemern
June 24th, 2014, 02:53 AM
It probably isn't nearly as bad as you think is. I am sure it will turn out beautifully.