PDA

View Full Version : No sewing for me for awhile - I hope I don't go into withdrawals!

BellasQuilts
June 22nd, 2014, 02:59 PM
We have owned our house for 15 years. It is a ranch style house and we have redone all of the common rooms. Now we are moving onto the bedroom area (why do bedrooms get left until last, I ask?). Anyway, we have to empty our bedroom and three other rooms, one of which is my office/sewing room.

There was border paper in our bedroom. I have hated it for 15 years. Why didn't it come down? Well, when I did the living room area and a bathroom, I discovered it must have been put up with super glue. And it was put over a textured wall. So this meant picking little tiny pieces of gummy paper out of the little crevices, trying not to wreck the texture. When I tackled the bathroom, DH found me crying. I was exhausted and frustrated. He kicked me out and finished it. That is why I couldn't bring myself to tackle it. So, now that we are going to retexture walls in three other rooms, we said to heck with it, and scraped off down to the wall board in the bedroom. It took us 50 hours, both of us doing it. There were two layers of the hideous stuff.

So, the wall texture guy is coming in two weeks and we need to empty the rooms. We both work full time at very busy and stressful jobs, so weekends are our only free time. Today is to empty the bookshelves, desks, etc. into boxes. Then next weekend will be moving all the furniture out to the deck. DH, being so danged Scotch, won't pay for movers and thinks we are going to do this ourselves. I am not happy about this. He has had back surgery and I have had neck surgery. It's stupid in my book, but when he wrenches his back again, maybe he will listen then. What I know will happen is he is going to try and strong arm his way through and when I can't do all the other muscle work, we are going to be up against the clock, and have no help to finish it. Husbands! I love him to pieces but sometimes......

I am looking forward to the finished product. We saved our pennies over the years and now the ugly carpet is going, and I am getting wood floors and the rooms will all be painted a nice French Vanilla color. Then I get to set all the rooms up again, get rid of crap we don't need and my house will be finished (almost - I want new kitchen counters and cabinet doors!).

Long story here, but I needed a break from schlepping boxes of books from one end of the house to the other, so I will stop here.

Monique
June 22nd, 2014, 04:15 PM
Good luck!!

IBake
June 22nd, 2014, 05:08 PM
When you are finished, we need to have the carpet replaced in the three bedrooms upstairs and to repaint the office...who looks like a family of gerbils moved into it. My hubby is a major packrat. He has been retired from the AF for 20 years and still has boxes of paper...get the idea? I know you will have sooooooo much experience that it will be a piece of cake for you to come and do it!

good luck! I hate wall paper for just your reason.

Sandy Navas
June 22nd, 2014, 05:15 PM
Oh, Megan . . . you're working. Call some strong arms to come in and move things - and if Hubby complains tell him Sandy said.

Nuff said!!

Jerry's wife
June 22nd, 2014, 06:43 PM
It IS going to be well worth your work and wait to get what you truly do want in your sewing room. Patience is NOT one of my best abilities, yet I DO have a hint for you. Why not save out just ONE quilt that needs a bit of handwork on it that you can finish while all the housework is being done? May help you keep your sanity! Cheers!

BellasQuilts
June 22nd, 2014, 08:41 PM
I'll be over when I'm done!

When you are finished, we need to have the carpet replaced in the three bedrooms upstairs and to repaint the office...who looks like a family of gerbils moved into it. My hubby is a major packrat. He has been retired from the AF for 20 years and still has boxes of paper...get the idea? I know you will have sooooooo much experience that it will be a piece of cake for you to come and do it!

good luck! I hate wall paper for just your reason.

BellasQuilts
June 22nd, 2014, 08:43 PM
After toting all those boxes of books, DH came home (he went over to see SIL). I put my foot down and said neither you nor I will be lifting all of this heavy furniture! He laughed and said we can do it. I gave him a look that told him don't say one more word or I'll have your head. he got the message and has relented. He is in charge of finding the help too. He knew I was going to blow if he didn't agree to it. So, looks like I'll only throw my back out painting the walls. LOL.

alliek
June 22nd, 2014, 09:39 PM
Your house is having a whole new overhaul it sounds like, How nice! I wish it was me. I'm with you, NO WALLPAPER:icon_mad:Its a little crazy now, but will be Oh so wonderful when its done and you can pat yourself on your back as you look at your renovated house.
Good Luck, !

TRLSRL72
June 22nd, 2014, 11:09 PM
We are taking it one room at a time and then a small break before starting again. I feel your pain. But I promise it will all be worth it in the end.

Grandma G
June 23rd, 2014, 05:20 PM
After toting all those boxes of books, DH came home (he went over to see SIL). I put my foot down and said neither you nor I will be lifting all of this heavy furniture! He laughed and said we can do it. I gave him a look that told him don't say one more word or I'll have your head. he got the message and has relented. He is in charge of finding the help too. He knew I was going to blow if he didn't agree to it. So, looks like I'll only throw my back out painting the walls. LOL.

Good luck with your project. I know all about stubborn husbands. We have been wanting to replace our old, old carpeting and flooring for a couple of years now. We decided to wait until my husband retired in December, 2011to begin. Well, three weeks after retiring he was diagnosed with bladder cancer. So we quickly forgot about the flooring. His cancer is now in remission and he is feeling very well and he said it was time to get the floors done. We checked several options and after hearing what the flooring people wanted to charge to pull up and haul off the old stuff, move our furniture which there is a lot of (many pieces extremely heavy) and installing the new flooring he decided we could do all this ourselves. I insisted we couldn't. He said he would do the heavy stuff and I could just hand him things. Yeah, right, like I was going to let that happen. Well, he eventually wore me down because he was not about to change his mind and I finally caved and we went ahead and bit the bullet. It took us about 3 1/2 weeks. I've never ached so much in my life and Advil was my best friend throughout. Anyway, now that it is done I am proud to say that we did do it together and it came out beautifully. However, I cannot imagine doing that while we were both still working. It would have been so difficult. I wish you luck with your remodel. I know you will be thrilled when it is all done. BTW - My husband only chuckled when I casually mentioned that I could buy lots of fabric with what we saved. However, I did manage to trade in my embroidery machine for a more expensive one two weeks ago!! lol