PDA

View Full Version : Played in the workshop this morning...

HandsomeRyan
June 21st, 2014, 04:42 PM
So in addition to sewing, I do some metal fabricating and blacksmithing. This morning, in preparation for the picnic tomorrow I turned some empty whiskey bottles into tiki torches for the back yard.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h170/HandsomeRyan/IMAG0218_1_zpscjuefvkl.jpg (http://s64.photobucket.com/user/HandsomeRyan/media/IMAG0218_1_zpscjuefvkl.jpg.html)

The bottles are supported on hand bent and welded metal spikes. The wicks are generic fiberglass tiki wicks which are held in place with copper holders. They seem to work pretty well and I think they will add just the right amount of class to my back yard party.

I started to use empty wine bottles but then decided the whiskey was better.

K. McEuen
June 21st, 2014, 04:44 PM
Haha, not so sure about "class", but they look great.

Mpyles
June 21st, 2014, 05:22 PM
Lol cute!!

Sandy Navas
June 21st, 2014, 05:32 PM

Obviously because you had a few more whiskey bottles??

Great idea. Wish you were closer and could replicate my favorite shepherd's hooks that fit my deck railing.

Oh, and did our engraved party invitations not get sent in a timely manner?

HandsomeRyan
June 21st, 2014, 05:41 PM
Obviously because you had a few more whiskey bottles??

Great idea. Wish you were closer and could replicate my favorite shepherd's hooks that fit my deck railing.

Oh, and did our engraved party invitations not get sent in a timely manner?

•I wouldn't say my wife and young son drive me to drink. ...it's probably true, I just wouldn't say it. :)

• I've done custom deck rail planter box holders but never deck rail shepherds hooks. Wouldn't be too hard though.

• If you can convince enough M* forum members to drive to Poplar Springs, MD (only a few hours from PA Dutch country) I'll gladly host a picnic just for my quilty friends. I think there are at least 3-4 other Marylanders, DC & N. Virginia peeps on here. The nice thing about the mid-atlantic is my house is a day trip from most of WV, VA, MD, DE, PA, DC, and maybe even NJ or lower NY. Not like those big states out in the middle of the US.

Claire OneStitchAtATime
June 21st, 2014, 05:47 PM
So in addition to sewing, I do some metal fabricating and blacksmithing. This morning, in preparation for the picnic tomorrow I turned some empty whiskey bottles into tiki torches for the back yard.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h170/HandsomeRyan/IMAG0218_1_zpscjuefvkl.jpg (http://s64.photobucket.com/user/HandsomeRyan/media/IMAG0218_1_zpscjuefvkl.jpg.html)

The bottles are supported on hand bent and welded metal spikes. The wicks are generic fiberglass tiki wicks which are held in place with copper holders. They seem to work pretty well and I think they will add just the right amount of class to my back yard party.

Ryan, this is awesome. If you're not selling these on Etsy you should start now. You have a winner on your hands.

HandsomeRyan
June 21st, 2014, 06:00 PM
Ryan, this is awesome. If you're not selling these on Etsy you should start now. You have a winner on your hands.

Unfortunately, custom metalworking is a lot like quilting. It is a great (if very expensive) hobby to do because you enjoy it but no one wants to pay the prices that I'd need for producing these (probably circa $40-50 for just the metal base and the wick, you provide the bottle) then add shipping for heavy, often big, metal objects the customer is looking at $60-65 while Walmart sells nice looking torches for $9.98.

Claire OneStitchAtATime
June 21st, 2014, 06:07 PM
I have never seen a Jim Beam torch at Walmart :)

Hulamoon
June 21st, 2014, 06:28 PM
When I was last on the mainland I bought a bottle tree. It came in two pieces and I thought how the heck am I going to ship this? My sewing skills to wrap this box came into order. lol When I got to the post office with this triangle box I said , what, you aren't going to ask what this is? A Bottle tree. Huh? lol

https://www.google.com/search?q=bottle+tree&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=ovilU_eXEJCEogTs34HQAQ&sqi=2&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1093&bih=498

Iris Girl
June 21st, 2014, 07:02 PM
I love it. Your metal working skills are fabulous!

sassygranny
June 21st, 2014, 08:31 PM
That is WAY cool! Love it!

WendyI
June 22nd, 2014, 12:24 AM
If you can convince enough M* forum members to drive to Poplar Springs, MD (only a few hours from PA Dutch country) I'll gladly host a picnic just for my quilty friends. I think there are at least 3-4 other Marylanders, DC & N. Virginia peeps on here. The nice thing about the mid-atlantic is my house is a day trip from most of WV, VA, MD, DE, PA, DC, and maybe even NJ or lower NY. Not like those big states out in the middle of the US.

You're only 8 hours from me! Plan one for next year and make room for my trailer and I'm there! LOL Likely with whiskey in hand (although Glen Fiddich is more my style than JB).

Unfortunately, custom metalworking is a lot like quilting. It is a great (if very expensive) hobby to do because you enjoy it but no one wants to pay the prices that I'd need for producing these (probably circa $40-50 for just the metal base and the wick, you provide the bottle) then add shipping for heavy, often big, metal objects the customer is looking at $60-65 while Walmart sells nice looking torches for $9.98.

Isn't that just so sad? My husband also welds, and he made a really nice trailer a couple years ago before we bought our pick up. He sold it and got exactly what he put into it for materials...that's it. Couldn't get more....and it was WAY nicer than anything you see at HD AND better built. No one wants to, or can afford to, pay for quality anymore!