PDA

View Full Version : @Ryan ...HELP!! THISTLES!!!

WendyI
June 21st, 2014, 02:38 PM
:icon_angry:

PLEASE help me get rid of them without killing all my perennial plants! I am being overrun and every time you pull one thistle three take it's place...they're EVIL DEVIL SPAWNED horrid wee beasts!

Any ideas? I even injected them with Roundup and they STILL came back. ugh. AND we have a ban on pesticides here...so cant even get that anymore.

Miss Sheri
June 21st, 2014, 02:46 PM
I had one that I missed last fall that had grown up between my fence and a tall rose bush. It went to seed in a big way! I took it out last fall when I cut back my rose bush, but this spring, I go out early in the mornings after the sprinklers are done, and DIG them out, one by one! Every single one I find, and there have been literally hundreds. It will take me all year to keep on it, to make up for my neglect last fall. I don't do too well with the pesticides, they make me sick. Good Luck Wendy, I truly, 'feel you pain'! :icon_sniff:

asta
June 21st, 2014, 02:46 PM
Try sprinkling them with regular iodized table salt, this has always worked for us both in the yard and garden.

Slokarma
June 21st, 2014, 03:27 PM
GOOD QUESTION Wendy! I don't know whether it started from the thistle birdseed..(.I think it's supposed to be dead seed,) but after I became very steady with thistle seed, the thistles came everywhere in the yard, in the garden....where ever I turned around. COINCIDENCE? I don't know but I have it. Hey, I think it's called Canadian Thistle too....LOL.

A guy at DH's work who used to be a greens keeper at a golf course told him to take a sponge brush and paint the weed with a killer but now I have forgotten what the brand / type was. I will call him and ask.

HandsomeRyan
June 21st, 2014, 04:38 PM
I use 40% glyphosate (eg. Round-up) with a surfactant and it gives a pretty good level of control but it does require several applications a few weeks apart to make sure any new growth is killed as well.

If pesticides aren't allowed, I'd say roadtrip to somewhere that does sell them as glyphosate is actually quite safe when used as directed (it breaks down into inert compounds readily in the presence of sunlight and fresh air and is not harmful to bees or other wildlife when used responsibly)
Barring that- you might be able to knock it back with one of the many vinegar-based sprays you can find instructions on how to make online. Unlike glyphosate, which kills by interrupting a cellular process, the vinegar/dishsoap/salt mixtures simply burn the foliage and the plants will regrow from the root.

Landscaping fabric with mulch over it might stop some regrowth as well.

fatquarters
June 21st, 2014, 04:45 PM
don't have a clue about thistles, but Ryan, thanks for the info, I have been going out and spraying some grass with the vinegar stuff. now I realize I'm wasting my time. I have grass that is frowning in by flower bed that's driving me crazy.

Wendy I hope you are able to get them, I hate those little beggars

Claire Hallman
June 21st, 2014, 05:00 PM
I used to bake my birdseed so it would not sprout, sorry I don't remember how long or hot but it did keep it from growing. That won't help now but you might try it in the future.

Hulamoon
June 21st, 2014, 05:13 PM
We have a company here that sells a stronger solution than Round up but I can't find it right now. Thier office is closed.It's supossed to kill tree stumps. I'll call on monday. Is this what you use Ryan?

BEI Hawaii / Crop Protection (http://www.beihawaii.com/crop_protection.html)

HandsomeRyan
June 22nd, 2014, 06:21 AM
We have a company here that sells a stronger solution than Round up but I can't find it right now. Thier office is closed.It's supossed to kill tree stumps. I'll call on monday. Is this what you use Ryan?

BEI Hawaii / Crop Protection (http://www.beihawaii.com/crop_protection.html)

Since the patent expired on Round-up, that chemical (glyphosate) is sold under dozens of different names and in different formulations.

A lot of brush killer type products are a mixture of glyphosate and another herbicide called triclopyr. In my opinion triclopyr is nasty stuff. Unlike glyphosate which breaks down readily, triclopyr remains in the soil and decaying plant tissues for months. It has a time and a place where it may be the best option but personally I would exhaust other options before using triclopyr containing herbicide mixes.

You may need reading glasses to see it, but all agricultural chemicals sold in the US (and most other developed countries) are legally required to have the active ingredient(s) and their amounts listed on the label of the container. Regardless of what you use, make sure to follow label directions with regard to how the chemical is mixed and applied. A lot of "safe" chemicals can be harmful when used incorrectly and likewise, even more dangerous chemicals can be used relatively safely by following guidelines and best practices for application.