PDA

View Full Version : Ever had one of those sewing days....

WendyI
June 21st, 2014, 12:16 PM
where you should really just WALK AWAY FROM THE MACHINE!??! wow...this morning has been BRUTAL!! Why ANYONE would EVER want to sew a fabric that is 90% polyester and 10% spandex is beyond me! Horrifying stuff to sew with! Not to mention that I know less than NOTHING bout taking clothing in.

I'm not losing much more weight but it seems to be coming off in inches. So my clothes are all falling off! This particular blouse is a strapped affair but the straps weren't adjustable...what a mess I made! Then took the sides in...not TOO bad...but certainly not pretty!

By the time I figured out what foot and which stitch to use I was ready to tear my hair out. LOL! time to go back to quilting my sisters quilt methinks! LOL!

Sandy Navas
June 21st, 2014, 02:44 PM
Wendy, there was a time in my life when I was battling a bit of weight gain. My husband told me that if I'd lose 20 pounds that he'd buy me a brand new wardrobe. I tried, I really, truly did try, but it didn't work. After a 'couple of days' (that's a joke) I came to the conclusion that if I added another 20 pounds he'd have to buy me a brand new wardrobe anyway.

Altering clothes is not my cup of tea, either.

Claire OneStitchAtATime
June 21st, 2014, 02:53 PM
Wendy, I think you should celebrate those inches lost by buying something that fits. Good fit is figure-flattering at any weight, and even a professional can have a hard time altering for a good fit. If you don't want to spend a lot of money, go somewhere inexpensive. You'll feel better & it will help motivate keeping those inches off!

Hulamoon
June 21st, 2014, 03:18 PM
First of all congrats on losing weight! Mine shot up when I was going through 'the change' lol I got back down though. For the fabrics you are talking about I would use a serger. Maybe you could rent one from a friend or shop. Those fabrics are a bear to deal with. Try working with chiffon. I'm so glad I don't have to make prom dresses anymore!

Iris Girl
June 21st, 2014, 03:38 PM
I have sewn garments for many years for myself, mom, hubby and the kids. BUT no alterations! I would rather trash something then try and do alterations. just saying.

WendyI
June 21st, 2014, 11:34 PM
LOL!! WELL I am so relieved to hear that it is a nightmare for everyone and not just me!! LOL! i actually managed to do a pretty good job in the end....Scott said he never noticed a thing. I have gone out and bought a few new things and that was a lot of fun and a lot of people noticed so that felt really good. But working in a professional office, no way i can afford to change my wardrobe just yet. AND I am steadily loosing about 2 lbs a week....so sadly some things just MUST be altered.

I would NEVER attempt chiffon!! yikes!

Terry L
June 21st, 2014, 11:59 PM
That's why I have a sister was sews clothing :icon_whistle:

WendyI
June 22nd, 2014, 12:02 AM
That's why I have a sister was sews clothing:D

SMART!! and very lucky! Unfortunately for me...I'm the only sister who comes close to sewing...and what I do is mostly straight lines unless it's FMQ....haven't read/used an actual pattern in years! LOL!