PDA

View Full Version : Shop Hopped Night Owl

toggpine
June 21st, 2014, 03:42 AM
I think I created some monsters! A pair of friends wanted to learn to quilt and knew I did. We got to talking and I told them about the Western WA shop hop. They looked it up and have taken the idea and run with it. This is the third day and they have been out every day. There are 51 shops participating. I think by the end of Sunday, they may have all but one or two!

I was able to go with them today and I am exhausted! I lost count on how many stores we actually made it to.

I enjoyed looking through all of them. It was interesting that the locations that had more then one store in a limited area seemed to carry such diverse fabrics. While some of the stores carried fabrics that weren't quite my style, I was indeed pleased with all of the shops. They were nicely decorated, nearly all of the staff were having as much fun as the hoppers. Sadly there were one or two stores we hurried through to make the next stop. For that I am sorry. They were some of the more interesting shops in the more outlying areas. We've made notes to make more time for them on the next hop, and or make a return trip before then.

Now I have a bunch more fabric to cut into small pieces and sew back together.

Have any of you gone on a shop hop before? Did you have fun? Did you go by yourself? Did you win anything?

I'm going to roost now. I can't keep my eyes open much longer....

Live to Quilt
June 21st, 2014, 04:54 AM
Have been going on shop hop for about 18 years and have only missed one year.
Generally go with a friend and usually spend way touch and have a great time. It exhausted me.
Have fun and enjoy

MayinJerset
June 21st, 2014, 05:50 AM
I'm a Late Night Owl tonight, slept right through until 4 am. Although it is still dark out I can tell the sun will be up soon as the birds are making a racket outside in the dark.

Cathy sounds like a fun day with your newbie quilting pals. When they get into sometime like quilting they go whole hog, don't think I could make it to as many shops as they have. I've been on shop hops but really just limited myself to a few local shops. I do like to stop at quilt shops whenever we're on vacation or a trip - even Joann's are stocked differently in different areas.

It is now almost 5am and I know I'll not be able to go back to sleep. I'll make myself a cup a tea and check my sewing machine cart to make sure I have everything I need for today's Pillowcase Sew In at my Guild. Besides the usual sewing supplies and my lunch I have quite a few yards of fabrics and a small shopping bag of serger thread that a guild member gave me. Several of the gals who regularly join our Pillowcase Sew Ins use sergers and they will welcome the free thread.

Ginny B
June 21st, 2014, 08:16 AM
I have done only one shop hop a long time ago but it was for scrapbooking. It was fun. I would love to do a quilt hop.

When we travel, I also check for any quilt shops in the area and try to check them out.

Judy, USMC
June 21st, 2014, 08:53 AM
Getting ready for the Northern Illinois Shop Hop: 37 stores are divided into 3 geographical areas and the hop runs June-July-August. Been on hops before but never made it to all of them ... may be able to make all 13 in the Chicago area. Never "won" anything but did take advantage of some "special sale" pricing.

toggpine
June 21st, 2014, 10:32 AM
A three month Hop sounds more do-able.
We have 5 days. The stores are open 9AM to 8PM, well, the stores can be open later to finish serving customers, but must stop stamping passports at 8.
A valid, prize-wining eligible passport must have at least 16 stamps on it. The 51 shops run from the Canadian border, south to the Oregon border. The most westerly is Port Angeles, way up on the thumb part of the state, east to nearly Mount Rainier. You actually get to see a lot of the state if you hit most of the shops. It's been kind of good for them since, they recently moved here.

Well, I'm off for an other earlier-than-I'd-like morning of non-fabric related adventures. Maybe to morrow I can sleep in!

bubba
June 21st, 2014, 11:06 AM
Last year was the first year I did it, if you can call it that. We were in Seattle and heading home, we rode the ferry to Vashon Island and stopped in Island Quilter. That was the one and only shop I went to!!

This year, I think I made it to five! That is only because my sister dragged me around. It's too hard to make it to many when you work till 1500 everyday. She wanted to see all the quilts from previous years hanging, and they were out at the Gig Harbor shop. I go to Parkland Parish a lot, and while I had not been there for a couple weeks, I was pleasantly surprised to see they had rearranged! It seems so much brighter in there. I'm glad the owner seems to be listening to our requests and suggestions.

Anyway, I think I may try to make a table runner w/the collection I gathered.

songbird857
June 21st, 2014, 01:38 PM
There is one starting across the country July 1st - til September. I will do as many as I can locally, and we'll see what the rest of the summer holds :)
Row by Row Experience (http://www.rowbyrowexperience.com/)

bubba
June 21st, 2014, 02:11 PM
The shop I frequent is doing this. I may just have to have a looksee.......won't be doing much else after next Thursday :D

MayinJerset
June 21st, 2014, 02:30 PM
There is one starting across the country July 1st - til September. I will do as many as I can locally, and we'll see what the rest of the summer holds :)
Row by Row Experience (http://www.rowbyrowexperience.com/)

Wow, There are 4 quilt shops sort of nearby that are participating in the Row Experience so I'm going to check it out.

toggpine
June 22nd, 2014, 03:03 AM
A lot of the shops on the Hop are participating in the Row deal. Most had their rows hanging for all to see. I guess I didn't realize it was nation wide!

Pat perhaps next year we can do a run and get you to more than 5 shops. If you want copies of my block patterns I can share. I can also poach copies of the ones I didn't get from the much more energetic friends who were out again today. There should still be featured fabrics available and you can create from there.