PDA

View Full Version : new dog

Claire Hallman
June 20th, 2014, 11:53 PM
We are considering getting a new dog and possibly a mini dachshund but are unsure of the breed. I want a laid back [not hyper] dog that will bark if a stranger comes around but not bark constantly.
Have any of you got one and will it fit those druthers?
We have had Shih Tzu in the past but don't want to deal with all the hair any more.

tesspug
June 21st, 2014, 12:10 AM
I have a friend with three dachshunds. They are incessant barkers. We have had pugs for several years. Much less barking. Pugs only shed for a short period twice a year. They get a ruff around their necks and their armpits( do dogs have armpits) You need to brush well for a week. Pugs have big personalities.

K. McEuen
June 21st, 2014, 12:32 AM
Claire, I love dachshunds, but there is nothing laid back about them. I've had 2. Spike died a couple months ago. He was ornery up until 2 days before he died. They are little clowns, but they are still stubborn little dogs. He saw a ground squirrel in the yard several years ago and dug under our slab foundation trying to get it. I had to pull him out by the tail.

Pandabear
June 21st, 2014, 01:10 AM
One of my in laws had a mini schnauzer. They said he didn't shed, but I don't know about the barking.

I have all labs so I'm of no help. They shed, they bark, but most of all they are great at cuddling. :)

IBake
June 21st, 2014, 02:32 AM
We are schnauzer people. Minis are great with tremendous personalities. They do no shed, are great family dogs/ The will bark, but with training they behave-much like all dogs. Our two minis were grand dogs that I miss greatly;

Personally I would get a rescue. They will give you unconditional love and true devotion...and you can find pure breeds that are rescues also. Just type in rescue and the breed.

Sylvia H
June 21st, 2014, 03:31 AM
Having had both a rescue dog and a purebred from a Code of Ethics breeder - and having worked with various rescues, my first advice is to research, research, research. First, research the characteristics of the various smaller breeds. Learn about the pluses and negatives of the breed. Become aware of any health problems that are characteristic of each breed. Also do what you are doing here, and ask around for opinions from people who have experience with the dogs you are interested in. Next, if you want to get a rescue dog, research any rescue organization that you may be considering. Unfortunately, they are not all alike, and some do a very bad job of assessing and placing their dogs (not to mention a bad job of just taking care of the animals in their care). In my early days with rescue, I had the bad experience of dealing with a bad rescue, and to this day wonder what really happened to the dog I fostered. If you want to get a dog from a breeder, then research the breeder, and ask around again. A good breeder will breed to bring out the best in the breed, even to improve the breed. But there are also many breeders who are in it just for the money, or don't have enough knowledge about breeding to do their own research before allowing two animals to mate. Please, do not buy from a pet store or over the internet. A good breeder will interview you, ask for references, andhave you sign a contract, and will take the dog back at any time if you cannot keep the dog for any reason.

Are there any dog shows in your area? If there are, go, and talk to the handlers - after they have shown their dogs. They can often steer you in the right direction of a good breeder. Find out if there are any dog clubs in your area for the breeds you are interested in. They too can help you in your search.

Avoid looking at puppies of any breed until you have done research on the breed and the breeder. Those puppies will throw all rational thinking out the window.

My rescue dog ( who was a purebred) was poorly bred, had a multitude of medical problems (I spent $5000 in one year!) and she died at an earlier age because of all of this. My purebred from a COE breeder was more expensive - but the only costs I have incurred during the 6 years I have had him have been for his yearly exams, his neuter (after the age of 2), and for an emergency surgery when he swallowed a sewing needle (due to my negligence, I am sad to say).

Most breeds have internet forums, so that is also a way to get more information.

As you can surmise, I am passionate about breeding and rescue. There is much more that I can say, but don't want to take up all the space! Send me a PM if you want more information.

sewlucky
June 21st, 2014, 03:38 AM
We have a pure bred Havanese dog, her name is Elsie. You can see photos in my album, she's my helper. She is very well behaved, easy to train, smart and very much a people dog bred for companionship. She barks when people come, but is definitely not a barker just because. She sheds very little, even though she is a longer haired dog (we keep her groomed shorter). Havanese have lots of energy for a small breed, but are happy house dogs too.

Terri

irishrn
June 21st, 2014, 06:52 AM
HI. Since you live in Alabama why not have a look at the rescue from Carolina Poodle Rescue in South Carolina. Although they have a large poodle rescue family , the farm where they are located called Dreamweaver farm are involved in rescue for all breeds. If you are on Facebook check out their Fb page. It is a wonderful organization that has an application process, a fee to adopt but will match the dog to the family based on their activity level and any special needs etc! Or just search Carolina poodle rescue site on google.
I think you will be pleased!

Bubby
June 21st, 2014, 07:48 AM
Terriers don't shed, but some types are real barkers...like Schnauzers. Scotties are great dogs but they can be stubborn. I've had 5 Scotties over the years and two were stubborn. Brandy outgrew being stubborn, but not Dottie. They don't shed, have no body odor, and they aren't barkers unless something is wrong. I agree that you should do a lot research before you start looking around. My heart melts for all puppies.

Doloris
June 21st, 2014, 08:30 AM
Terriers dont shed.
I have 3 jack Russell terriers and I can tell you they do shed and bark, I can make a fur coat every week, and 2 of them are short hair, or smooth coat, as they are referred to.

Iris Girl
June 21st, 2014, 09:03 AM
I'm a cat person so I would suggest a cat, soft, cuddly and lovable. and don't need to be walked. Just my opinion.

JCY
June 21st, 2014, 10:18 AM
You might want to consider pet insurance if you get a dog. A friend of mine had a Rottweiler puppy who was mischievous & got into a back pack while they were gone from the house ~2 hrs. He ate some Ibuprofen. They had several incidents with big vet bills & had no pet ins. Pets are a lot of company & give a lot of love, but they can be costly. JCY

ravelim
June 21st, 2014, 10:35 AM
I love our rescue dog. She is a great barker tho. Part be able and part Australian shepherd. And she sheds,horribly. But..she cuddles so nicely.

dizzyLiz
June 21st, 2014, 10:40 AM
I love rescue dogs and have had many of them. Most shelters or rescues will allow you to spend time with the dog. They want to make a good match. In my opinion mini Schnauzer is the way to go. I have had 3 and will be getting another this fall. They are wonderful companions, smart with huge personalities. As for barking, it depends on the dog, I had one that never barked until she was over 2 years old, after that only when someone pulled in the drive way. They are also easily trained, no shedding, some grooming involved, which you can do yourself. Added bonus if there were a hypo-allergenic dog, the schnauzer would be it

sassygranny
June 21st, 2014, 10:44 AM
LOL...terriers definitely DO shed. My granddog, which is a Jack Russell Terrier is the worst shedder I've ever seen. Smooth, short coats do not translate to no shedding. :)

Poodles are great if shedding is a worry.

Doxies are cute - but very high strung. Intense little barkers. And, they can be snappers. Willful, too. Love 'em...but they need a firm hand and lots of patience.

I work with our local shelter and see lots and lots of abandoned or abused dogs. There are so many homeless dogs that need a loving home. We got our Australian Shepherd from the shelter, and we canNOT figure out why someone would give him up. He is a wonderful, loving, funny member of our family. I urge you to shop the shelter first. As someone else said, purebreds often show up there. But you've got to be dedicated and look there often, as the dogs cycle through pretty quickly.

I also see lots of products of unscrupulous breeders. Many of them are horrible. They give responsible breeders a bad name. If you are convinced you want to go that route, do lots of homework and make sure you know the breeder treats their dogs humanely. Please don't go to a puppy mill!!!

MRoy
June 21st, 2014, 10:51 AM
We have a miniature Australian Shepherd. Jake doesn't shed much and he only barks at cattle and other critters. I don't know about the breed in general as far as barking goes, but he's not a good guard dog cause he doesn't bark at strangers at all. He's just everybody's little friend.

bubba
June 21st, 2014, 10:59 AM
We have one of those now. He is the most stubborn, irritating, yet devoted thing I have ever seen! For him, it's all about him. Lying on the dog cushion, eating, sleeping, sleeping, oh and sleeping. It took me five years to get him to sit and he still doesn't really do that. He does not bark much, probably because it expends too much energy. That said, he is quite endearing, only because his cuteness saves him!

Slokarma
June 21st, 2014, 11:55 AM
what's the breed of dog that watches tv? I know it's one of the smaller ones.

and yes, my biggest rottie loved his tv and would "sing" along with certain jingles. One of his favorite was the "Have you driven a ford lately." I started to say he was one of my favorite dogs, but we haven't had a dog that wasn't one of my favorite dogs....well, except for maybe the Am. Eskimo...what a little beach she was. I still loved her.

Presently, a Min. Schnauzer is 2nd in command right after his leader, Kitty, the tomcat.

Claire Hallman
June 21st, 2014, 12:08 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I come from a long line of dog owners/breeders. One of my sisters is a breeder/show judge so I really know the routine. Have had dogs all my life both purebred and rescued a few over the years. I do have a cat that is a love and have had many over the years [thank goodness for leukemia shots now]
I was just trying to find out about doxies as I have not experienced living with one of them.
I went to the Louisville all breeds show in Mar or Apr and looked at many breeds and loved the French bulldogs but don't have $2000 or more to invest, even the local rescue wants $1200 for one. I am not sure they are truly "rescuers" or just out for the money.
This is all still in the thought process, still considering options and possible breeds. Pugs are high on my list and always have been, no allergies so that is not a problem, we just want a little mostly house dog to join our lives. We had two Shih Tzu over 24 years, they are both gone now and I miss having a dog around.

Dollyquilts
June 21st, 2014, 12:18 PM
I've had many mini dachshunds over the years. They are not bad shedders, even the longhairs. They are great cuddlers, but they are very stubborn and bark a lot. I've never had one, but I understand Chiweenies, a cross of Chihuahuas and doxies, are more trainable and less stubborn.

laura44
June 21st, 2014, 12:20 PM
I have a dachshund. She is a rescue dog and sweet as can be.
She does bark at everyone she sees out the window but we have
trained her to stop when we tell her. LOVES to sleep under blankets.
They do not shed, live long lives, love to hunt small animals, but do
have back/spine problems. Great dogs, my next one will be a doxie too.

Ahamblin
June 21st, 2014, 12:33 PM
I had a Doxie growing up and he was very sweet, a good watch dog but not yappy. He did develop an allergy to grass, not a good thing for a short dog. Luckily my dad was a builder and had his crew pour a concrete pad for him so he didn't have to walk on the grass to do his business.

Since you are familiar with the dog show world you might contact some of the breeders. We ended up with a third dog recently. I have a 7 year old Doberman male who was to be my Working Competition dog. Due to an injury he retired but is still my best friend. I bought my DH an Irish Red & White Setter 5 years ago. She is wonderful and sweet but very independent. Her breeder contacted us a few months ago regarding an 11 month old male that she needed to rehome. He is gorgeous and would have been a champion but he was born with a deformed tail and couldn't be shown. He had developed a growth on the bent end of his tail which caused bleeding and he was an 11 month old puppy doing typical puppy things. Why do people buy puppies and then expect them to act like well behaved grown dogs? Anyway - she gave him to us. He gets along great with the other dogs. His tail is now 2 inches shorter (we had the growth removed) but is extremely bright and has such willingness to please. He may be my Obedience dog now. In four short weeks his recall is solid, he knows sit, down, wait, leave it, out and has started heeling. It still amazes me that someone gave him up. Oh well, their loss.

Good luck with your search.

whippetmom
June 21st, 2014, 12:51 PM
I had doxies for most of my life. They are a ONE PERSON dog, very loyal but unless when you get them and teach them not to bark, they will. I did not notice shedding a lot, but I was young and did not worry about that. I have had greyhounds and whippets now, and they are very quiet. Most every dog I have had has been rescued, I just figure they deserve a good life and there is a reason they are in rescue. Any dog will take on the traits of the owners, if you are a quiet person without a lot of commotion around the dog will learn to be quiet also. I am helping a person in Florida train a dog they got from rescue, it is hard being so far away but so far so good with suggestions on how to train the little stinker, who was totally out of control when they got him. Good luck on whatever you decide to get, just having a dog to love and have love you is the best thing in the world.

Hulamoon
June 21st, 2014, 01:58 PM
I have 3 jack Russell terriers and I can tell you they do shed and bark, I can make a fur coat every week, and 2 of them are short hair, or smooth coat, as they are referred to.

You are a brave girl to have three. I had one that was a MENANCE!! lol Attacked a horse of all things.

K. McEuen
June 21st, 2014, 01:59 PM
You are a brave girl to have three. I had one that was a MENANCE!! lol Attacked a horse of all things.

She's baaaaaaaack .......

maxwellthecat
June 22nd, 2014, 02:30 AM
Don't get a Yorkie, they bark all the time. A leaf falls from a tree and he barks, the air moves and he barks. You always have to have them at the groomers. My DH and I love him to death. We also have a llasa opsa, he never barked until he heard the yorkie bark and now they bark together. We love him too, I just can't take all the barking.

Hulamoon
June 22nd, 2014, 02:39 AM
She's baaaaaaaack .......

:)

I grew up with doxies too, and poms and poodles and yorkies. The best out of the bunch was the poodles, hands down. My dad, aunt and uncle all had one. Yorkies were the worst. My mom went through four or five and she couldn't train one of them not to pee on the carpet or bark at everything.

For a small dog I would get a poodle. They are really smart and come in a bunch of sizes.:)