PDA

View Full Version : My Own BAMBI Family!!

Sewbee
June 19th, 2014, 01:51 AM
I have to share a short video I took yesterday evening. We love living in a wooded area and have deer in our yard on a regular basis. What I saw when looking through my dining room window yesterday though, was a once in a lifetime moment for me. I am just happy I was able to record a small bit of the beauty of nature in my own front yard! :)

Enjoy!

<br>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH1KiUzMgnc

MayinJerset
June 19th, 2014, 02:01 AM
Thanks for sharing that beautiful scene of mom deer and her baby.

brook
June 19th, 2014, 02:25 AM
What a beautiful sight. So glad you were there to take a video of them. : )

Judy, USMC
June 19th, 2014, 02:41 AM
Unfortunately I got the message to "Watch it on you tube." That "Playback on other websites has been disabled by the owner." I did get to see the first frame and it looked like you have some deer in your yard.

bkthomas
June 19th, 2014, 02:47 AM
Unfortunately I got the message to "Watch it on you tube." That "Playback on other websites has been disabled by the owner." I did get to see the first frame and it looked like you have some deer in your yard.

Same here, do you have a link?

Sewbee
June 19th, 2014, 03:01 AM
Hmm..I can view it directly here on the forum post but not sure where to change the setting on Youtube regarding playback on other websites. Sorry for those having a problem viewing it. Here is a direct link to the Youtube video:

P.S. think I found the setting to allow embedding in other web sites so you may be able to view it now here on the forum also.

bkthomas
June 19th, 2014, 03:14 AM
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Iris Girl
June 19th, 2014, 05:20 AM
Precious, Nature is so beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

Judy, USMC
June 19th, 2014, 05:56 AM
Here is a direct link to the Youtube video:

Thanks - that worked! Great shot - thanks so much for sharing.

Andrea F
June 19th, 2014, 06:10 AM
Thanks for sharing! That's so beautiful. Where I live, the most exciting view is when I get to see a squirrel somewhere.

Monique
June 19th, 2014, 08:00 AM
Beautiful.

Deb7643
June 19th, 2014, 08:04 AM
So beautiful, thanks for sharing.

Genny
June 19th, 2014, 11:33 AM
Thanks for sharing this beautiful video. I'm very lucky to live where I do...I live in the city limits with a paved street but my backyard faces over 21 acres of field and trees and we see deer daily. We use to have a grapevine that the baby deer use to lay under when it was hot.

alliek
June 19th, 2014, 02:28 PM
Really sweet, Thanks for sharing.

whippetmom
June 19th, 2014, 06:11 PM
I just viewed it, what a neat video. Thanks for letting us see it, something most of us never get to see so close up.

Familyjournals
June 19th, 2014, 06:24 PM
That is wonderful and I love the way you put it together! We have had moose two different times. Once was a mother with her baby another was a buck with a huge rack. They didn't hang around, too quick for a camera shot. So glad you were prepared!

ozziepuppy
June 19th, 2014, 06:31 PM
Really beautiful video. It must be wonderful to look out your window and see something like that.

paandrus
June 20th, 2014, 11:05 AM
We raise Fallow deer. They are dropping fawn right now. They are so cute, they scamper around without a care in the world.

JCY
June 20th, 2014, 11:11 AM
Thanks for sharing. Cute baby Bambi. However, as a gardener I wonder, how do you have any surviving plants that the deer won't eat?! My son lives in a area in MD that backs up to woods. Deer come through their neighborhood all the time. My DIL's hosta were eaten. It's hard to find deer-resistant plants. At my house, I'd just like to get rid of "those wabbits"!!! JCY

Sewbee
June 20th, 2014, 12:11 PM
Thanks for sharing. Cute baby Bambi. However, as a gardener I wonder, how do you have any surviving plants that the deer won't eat?! JCY

JCY, we learned the hard way about living with deer and plants! We built the house in 1989 and planted hostas, daylilies, tulips and a variety of other perennials that first year. That next Spring I lost 250 early sprouting tulips as the deer pulled them up...bulb and all! Over the hot summer, they would mow down my row of hostas like a salad bar overnight! They also loved the daylilies which gradually disappeared over the next few years.

The plants left in my yard now are the ones the deer do not care far...Narcissus, Peonies, yews, lilacs, hyacinths, and a few other leftover perennials. My berm and flower beds are edged with a very hardy flowering Liriope ground cover which withstands everything!

I am perfectly happy to limit my plantings and live in harmony with the deer. I use my large planters on the deck for colorful annuals and the occasional tomato plant....haven't had a deer on the deck...YET! :)

Pegger
June 20th, 2014, 07:00 PM
Thanks! I enjoyed watching.

Terry L
June 20th, 2014, 07:14 PM
Our property is surrounded by woods also and we get the opportunity to view mother nature's creatures BUT nothing as wonderful as your video. Thank you for sharing