PDA

View Full Version : Long but Lucky trip

tamsterg7
June 17th, 2014, 10:48 PM
My son will be leaving for college in August - and will be going to South Dakota State University. A very long drive from our home in St. Louis, 11 hard hours with a few stops. We drove up Saturday for his 2 day orientation (Sunday/Monday). Saturday was pretty good, as we stopped in Hamilton and I added to my fabric collection! An hour out from Brookings SD, in the middle of road construction it rained so hard you could not see, but dared not stop.

Thought that was bad until our return trip Monday. 45 minutes in to it was a monsoon. Pulled off at an exit, but no cover available (other cars huddled under the overpass), so we sat for 15 minutes while hail beat the crap out of my car. Temperture dropped about 15 degrees in 10 minutes. Get back on the road and 10 minutes later -same thing. Slows down and we proceed for awhile and then my phone goes crazy with tornado alters, saying SEEK COVER. Yep, we were just past the Pilger NE exit. Fortunately Pilger is west of the exit, and we kept driving south out of harms way. I feel so lucky to only have dimples in my car, and my heart breaks for the people of Pilger

bubba
June 17th, 2014, 10:59 PM
Isn't that college in Madison? That is where I spent my childhood summers.

tamsterg7
June 17th, 2014, 11:04 PM
No, SDSU is in Brookings, which is about an hour north of Sioux Falls. I think I saw Madison on the map, and it is a little south and west of Sioux Falls? I'm sure we will learn the area better over the next 4 years!

Isn't that college in Madison? That is where I spent my childhood summers.

bubba
June 17th, 2014, 11:51 PM
Yes, Madison is about 50 miles from Sioux Falls. That is where my aunts lived. I know when I was a kid that it was SDSU, but I just looked and now it has been changed to Dakota State University. I have such good memories of my childhood spent there with my cousins. My sisters, parents and me were the only ones who didn't live back there. They had moved out here the year before I was born. My dad never returned, even to visit. My mom would take all five of us girls on the train, catching it in Tacoma and heading east across the state, then Idaho, Montana, North Dakota and Minnesota. Our stop was in Wilmar, where Butterball turkeys come from and they would drive from South Dakota to pick us up. I had the worse motion sickness then and I hated the train rides! They had a little couch in the bathroom and that is where I spent my trip so I could run to the toilet to be sick. Everyone checked on me every time they came thru! It was a looooooong three day trip!

Claire OneStitchAtATime
June 18th, 2014, 12:12 AM
I hate driving in weather like that. I can't tell you how many times we have had to pull over on I 70 west of St Louis because of rain & wind, or how many hail dimples we have in our car!

Judy, USMC
June 18th, 2014, 01:31 AM
It's always best to completely exit the interstate. I've seen too many accidents where drivers insisted on moving only to crash into cars parked on the side of the road. And then there are times when everyone tries to stay under an overpass and they narrow the roadway to just 1 lane.

During one particularly bad tornado outbreak the spring of 1998 I was on the interstate in Nashville. I pulled off and luckily found a self-service car wash and parked there for 20 minutes. Those twisters were close! Had to drive around a good bit of tree limb debris to get back on the road.

Hope the next 4 years is uneventful driving for you!

stationarymom
June 18th, 2014, 03:18 AM
I'm glad you had a safe trip.Those tornado's were terrible.I hope your son is excited about college.

Jean Sewing Machine
June 18th, 2014, 05:06 AM
So glad to hear you got home safe! Also glad you got to Hamilton! Too bad about the hail dents in the car! I can only imagine how scary that must have been, thank heaven the tornadoes weren't right where you were.

Sandy Navas
June 18th, 2014, 10:07 AM
Thankfully you are home safe. I don't envy you on any of the future long trips.

What horrendous damage in Nebraska. Prayers with those families.

Claire OneStitchAtATime
June 18th, 2014, 11:23 AM
Just read the newspaper re Pilger. Those poor people.

vchale
June 18th, 2014, 12:39 PM
So glad you are safe! I just read in the paper about 1 child and 1 motorist who lost their lives. Sounds like almost the whole town was demolished.