PDA

View Full Version : Thank goodness for insurance??

bubba
June 17th, 2014, 09:50 PM
Just ordered my new glasses because MM told me to do it before my last day.....crikey! I should have given them my second born! I even went to far as to give them my email address to get an extra 10% off......figured I can always block them later :D

K. McEuen
June 17th, 2014, 09:59 PM
Yeah, our insurance doesn't cover eyeglasses. You go in with a coupon to a place to order them, coupon says 2 pair of glasses for $79.99 and by the time they add all the extra crap on you end up paying more like $799.99.

songbird857
June 17th, 2014, 10:32 PM
yep, my insurance covers the exam every 2 years, but not the glasses. Got a pair of progressives a year ago - really didn't like them from the start but figured it was me and that I would get used to them. Broke em last week and picked up a pair of cheaters from CVS - I like the cheaters better and they were only $24 - go figure. I may look into straight line bifocals... I dunno :icon_cool:

bubba
June 17th, 2014, 11:01 PM
I get the unlined bifocals.....they ran $380! That was with my $150 payment from insurance and my 10% off. Before that, she said it was $588!!! I almost pooped my pants!

whippetmom
June 17th, 2014, 11:42 PM
Yep Pat that is about right. The only consolation I had was that when they told me the price, the hospital was right there in case I had a heart attack from the sticker shock. The progressive bifocals and then the transition lenses on top of that (so that I do not have to wear sun glasses) really adds up. I am way past the age to worry about designer frames, who the heck cares as long as they stay on my face and I can see through them. Frames are really expensive now, and I could care less who designed them.

WendyI
June 18th, 2014, 01:39 AM
I work at a university that has the only English speaking optometry school in Canada....the only other one is in Quebec and is French...and we STILL don't have eyeglass coverage!! I had lasik done four years ago and now I'm old and need glasses again. I am NOT looking forward to that!! uhg! The annoying thing is it's not the lenses that cost so much as the stupid frames! Ridiculous!

bubba
June 18th, 2014, 01:53 AM
The last glasses I got, I went to the store and picked out frames I liked, wrote down the name/model # then went home and searched the web. What was $290 at the store, I got for $90 brand new off the internet. I then took them to the eye doctor for lenses. It was fantastic!

Sandy Navas
June 18th, 2014, 10:11 AM
One of the reasons I get my prescription and then order my glasses from Zenni Optical. My eye doctor doesn't think this is a good idea but it does save me money and I can afford to grab a couple pair so I have a spare. Outrageous what they charge for frames any more.

Bubby
June 18th, 2014, 10:18 AM
That's a great idea to shop around and buy your frames. A person would have to be careful, as my lenses can't be made smaller to fit into real small frames.

Slokarma
June 18th, 2014, 10:58 AM
online is a good choice. BUT i would think the progressive bifocals would be a nightmare to get correct.

I went thru this last year when I started noticing that my far vision wasn't as good as it used to be. (After I got the prescription the doc said it was a tiny bit worse, but not that much.....I just had good eyesight all these years and every little change makes me feel like I'm going blind.) I decided to go to the place my DH went, but he walked out with 2 pairs of glasses for about 100 a piece. WELLLLL, not me. I need the bifocals and I wanted the ones that have a bigger sweet spot, so to speak, because I have trouble wearing the others. I lucked out and got a frame that was on sale and CHEAP, but the rest of it was not cheap at all. OUCH.

I used to order my cheaters off of the shopping channel. Loved them. Optical glass, spring arms and a pair of sunglasses included and fashionable to boot and not those little skinny ones that make your face look too fat. I'd get 6 new ones every year and then have to suffer thru my husband making fun of all those glasses laying around the house. Well, after getting the bill for these new bifocals......shoot, 6 pairs of cheaters for $29 compared to over $500 for 1 pair of new glasses ? hmmm

Claire Hallman
June 18th, 2014, 11:10 AM
I love my cheaters that are all over the house. I have some Rx ones but they are so small that I have trouble zeroing in on what I want to see close up so only use them when in a store or driving. They do look good, I have had strangers comment on them.
I use Rx sunglasses to drive most of the time. I recently set them on top of the car and of course they fell off and were crunched. The new sunglasses were in the $350 range but a necessity. :o
One problem with ordering the glasses off the internet [Rx ones] is the possibility of losing your eye professional. He needs to make some money to stay in business so he can be there for you in the future.

bubba
June 18th, 2014, 11:35 AM
I asked first about bringing in frames to get the lenses put in after and the receptionist told me they do that all the time. As a matter of fact, the place I went really didn't have a large selection of frames to speak of.

When you order them on line, you take your measurements just like they do at the glasses store, and that is exactly what you get. The place where my other frames that I got for $90 that were $290 in the store is thru our HMO, so I have no fear of them shutting down.

The place that has excellent prices on glasses is Costco, and I've gotten glasses thru them. However, the last time I did, I noticed one of the lenses was not right. I went back and they checked and it was exactly as it was supposed to be. I took them into our eye doctor next because I thought there was something wrong with my eye. He also checked them. He said they were right and asked if they were from Costco. Seems that they grind their lenses differently, even though it is to what they should be, but they are different and not quite right and he urged me not to order from them again and I haven't. Since then, I have had two other doctors tell me the same.

I guess the good things is that my eyes don't change much anymore and I only need new glasses every few years. The only time I need them this time is because my lens cracked.

Sandy Navas
June 18th, 2014, 11:57 AM
I love my cheaters that are all over the house. I have some Rx ones but they are so small that I have trouble zeroing in on what I want to see close up so only use them when in a store or driving. They do look good, I have had strangers comment on them.
I use Rx sunglasses to drive most of the time. I recently set them on top of the car and of course they fell off and were crunched. The new sunglasses were in the $350 range but a necessity. :o
One problem with ordering the glasses off the internet [Rx ones] is the possibility of losing your eye professional. He needs to make some money to stay in business so he can be there for you in the future.

Believe me, this ophthalmologist has many, many other ways of getting money from me to stay in business. Now he's got a new million dollar machine and wants to measure my brain waves from my eye to the brain . . . give me a break. Whether or not he sells a pair of glasses to me at a drastically marked up price is not going to keep the rib eye off his plate at night . . .