PDA

View Full Version : RIP Casey Kasem

EmmaB
June 16th, 2014, 01:42 PM
I don't know about you all but when I heard this on the news, I was flooded with memories of listening to his weekly countdown and jumpin on the phone with my best friend to review the results of the number 1 song for the week.

What about you?

Over40momma
June 16th, 2014, 01:47 PM
Oh my, I had not heard about his passing. R.I.P. and thank you for so many happy memories.

WendyI
June 16th, 2014, 02:01 PM
Yep...listened to him for years and always wondered how he got into radio....his voice was kind of nasally and irritated me but I listened anyway!! LOL! R.I.P. dude!!

bubba
June 16th, 2014, 02:24 PM
Believe me, that was big news here in the Pacific Northwest....he was in the hospital about ten miles from where we live. In the weeks prior, there were all sorts of commotion going on there with the family which was sad....just let the poor guy die in peace and fight over the $$ later. I'm sure that is what it all boiled down to.

MM has sattelite radio, and all day yesterday on one of the channels, they had a tribute to him, replaying all shows. It was fun to listen to him again.

EmmaB
June 16th, 2014, 03:44 PM
It was such a shame the family was in such turmoil right before he passed. I'm hoping he didn't know what was going on.

Sandy Navas
June 16th, 2014, 06:11 PM
RIP Casey! Didn't Ryan Seacrest get his start by stepping into Casey's shoes?

EmmaB
June 16th, 2014, 10:06 PM
RIP Casey! Didn't Ryan Seacrest get his start by stepping into Casey's shoes?

I had to google it but according to Wikipedia Ryan Seacrest took over in 2004.

Midge
June 16th, 2014, 10:33 PM
I don't know about you all but when I heard this on the news, I was flooded with memories of listening to his weekly countdown and jumpin on the phone with my best friend to review the results of the number 1 song for the week.

What about you?

My memories of Casey go back a ways. Remember AM radio's popularity in the late 50s and early 60s? I listened to a DJ called Mad Daddy on my fave station growing up in the Cleveland area. Mad Daddy left the station and was replaced by ....Casey Kassem. His show was called Casey at the Mike. He had a tough act to follow because Mad Daddy was very popular. But I didn't follow Mad Daddy to his new station in town, I listened to Casey. Happy and energetic. Wait. Am I dating myself here? LOL.

RIP Casey, an institution for many of us. Agree it is a shame the family had so much turmoil regarding his final days.

Iris Girl
June 17th, 2014, 05:40 AM
What would Saturday mornings have been like with out Casey's countdown and american bandstand? and then Saturday morning cartoons, Those were the days.

maxwellthecat
June 18th, 2014, 01:31 AM
I know, he was great. His wife is a little off. I hate to say this but, the way he was treated, it's a blessing he passed away.
He was the voice of Shaggy on The Scooby Doo cartoon.

R.I.P. Casey

Sew Perfect
June 18th, 2014, 01:38 AM
Every week for me as well. Casey Kasem will be missed.

bhaggerty
June 18th, 2014, 03:32 AM
I too listened faithfully to him every Sunday! I always had to call a friend (who went to different church) to find out what the #1 song was because we would always have to leave for church and I would miss the top 3 songs every week! LOL! funny things you remember!

Kerry Bo Berry
June 18th, 2014, 08:23 AM
I always enjoyed hearing the "long distance dedications" of sweethearts, military husband and wives and parents and kids on the American Top 40.