PDA

View Full Version : Monday - just embrace it

Blondie
June 16th, 2014, 07:34 AM

Happy Monday folksies!

Today is the first day of our "vacation" - which means we didn't have to get up at 4 a.m. for a short segment of time - and we did what you would do - we slept in a bit and were lazy slug a bugs for a little bit.
The sun is up, Gracie is awake and out the door, I am having my first sip of coffee - all is good right this moment.

Our weekend was pleasant enough. We had cook out with DD and SIL's close kin to celebrate Father's Day and Steve's birthday. This year they fell on the same day. There was also a local event that I didn't attend this year. My middle son Josh did with some friends. It is the The Charlie Poole Music Festival (http://www.charlie-poole.com/). Charlie Poole was a local blue grass artist that achieved some measure of fame. I never knew anyone else heard of him until they started having this thing several years back. I suppose it is good for the local economy. It is nothing like other large bluegrass festivals - this gives opportunity to small groups to be heard and it a fun time.

Off to get caught up reading here. Have a wonderful day folksies. If you hear a pin drop, it is because I am giving my Luscious Larry my honey do list.

Carol336
June 16th, 2014, 08:02 AM
Good Monday Morning Miz Blondie and all who follow. Have fun and enjoy your vaca.

Got a busy week - watching gkiddies on Wednesday and Friday - really looking forward to that. My two blonde chickies on Wednesday, 8 and 11 yrs old. Might take them to the county pool for some fun times splashing around. Then on Friday we'll be honored to spend the day with Mr Jackson, 10 and maybe the 8 yr old blonde chickie too. Not sure what I'll do with them, but the pool is always a favorite with them both.

I don't believe in coincidence, so I think someone is trying to tell me to join the local quilting guild. On Friday, as I was heading into church to pick up the weekend meals bags for delivery, a bunch of ladies were headed into the hall with rather large rolling totes (much like the big scrapbooking cases). Well low and behold, they were hauling sewing machines in those things. I got to talking to one of the ladies and she told me they were from the local quilting guild. They were having a class on paper quilting. She told about their guild that meets at another church the third Thursday of the month and invited me to come sometime. Sounded interesting.

Fast forward to Sunday morning. We arrived at church early and were sitting in the Narthex chatting with folks as they arrived, when a lady I only knew to pass the peace with came in carrying one of those bow tuck purses. Of course I asked her if she made it - she did!!! Our little chat continued..she is a quilter and she invited me to come to her gulid - the third Thursday of the month. Yep same guild. Is someone trying to tell me something here or what!!!!! They don't meet in the summer months, start up again in Sept. THEN - are you ready for this. She invited me to come to her house for some private lessons on quilting.......and added "Please don't bring any fabric.....I have enough for an army" Looks like that quilt I'm so afraid to make has come knocking on my door!!!!

Yep - I'm gonna go to that guild....and I sure as heck am going to take her up on her offer of private lessons.

Have a lovely Monday everyone

Judy, USMC
June 16th, 2014, 08:04 AM
Good Morning Blondie ~ and all. Yes, Carol, I would take it as a sign and join that guild! Sounds like a friendly group.

Getting ready for my trek to Chicago next week so I'm up (very unusual for this night owl.) This week is dedicated to the important things. Getting the van ready with an oil change and new tires. Steve is getting his stitches out and restocking the meds he'll need. And I'm gathering patterns, thread and fabric. Oh, and also need to do a load of laundry or two. That reminds me of the time my MIL left on a trip and forgot to put the suitcase in the car. Came home from a 2 week vacation relaxed and with a new wardrobe!

Can't wait to get on the road ...

Blondie
June 16th, 2014, 08:06 AM
Carol, I never believe in coincidence - especially here! GO! Make some great new buds and sew sew sew! Somebody up there likes what you're doing. Big hugs to you, sweet friend.

Good Monday Morning Miz Blondie and all who follow. Have fun and enjoy your vaca.

Got a busy week - watching gkiddies on Wednesday and Friday - really looking forward to that. My two blonde chickies on Wednesday, 8 and 11 yrs old. Might take them to the county pool for some fun times splashing around. Then on Friday we'll be honored to spend the day with Mr Jackson, 10 and maybe the 8 yr old blonde chickie too. Not sure what I'll do with them, but the pool is always a favorite with them both.

I don't believe in coincidence, so I think someone is trying to tell me to join the local quilting guild. On Friday, as I was heading into church to pick up the weekend meals bags for delivery, a bunch of ladies were headed into the hall with rather large rolling totes (much like the big scrapbooking cases). Well low and behold, they were hauling sewing machines in those things. I got to talking to one of the ladies and she told me they were from the local quilting guild. They were having a class on paper quilting. She told about their guild that meets at another church the third Thursday of the month and invited me to come sometime. Sounded interesting.

Fast forward to Sunday morning. We arrived at church early and were sitting in the Narthex chatting with folks as they arrived, when a lady I only knew to pass the peace with came in carrying one of those bow tuck purses. Of course I asked her if she made it - she did!!! Our little chat continued..she is a quilter and she invited me to come to her gulid - the third Thursday of the month. Yep same guild. Is someone trying to tell me something here or what!!!!! They don't meet in the summer months, start up again in Sept. THEN - are you ready for this. She invited me to come to her house for some private lessons on quilting.......and added "Please don't bring any fabric.....I have enough for an army" Looks like that quilt I'm so afraid to make has come knocking on my door!!!!

Yep - I'm gonna go to that guild....and I sure as heck am going to take her up on her offer of private lessons.

Have a lovely Monday everyone

Carol336
June 16th, 2014, 08:10 AM
That's too funny Judy - I always tell DH - whats the big deal if we forget anything, we'll just buy it there. Hmmmm....new wardrobe - might have to forget a suitcase when we hit the outer banks in august.....LOL

That reminds me of the time my MIL left on a trip and forgot to put the suitcase in the car. Came home from a 2 week vacation relaxed and with a new wardrobe!

Can't wait to get on the road ...

HdWench
June 16th, 2014, 08:27 AM
Good morning everyone! Yep I'm still up kind of back on my old "normal" night owl schedule. Have a great time off Blondie, you deserve it and hahaha Pin Drop when you give hubs your honey-do list :-)

Carol, seems like God is pointing you to that quilt guild over and over it's a sure sign of something wonderful!

We may not have to go to Ohio this summer which I've been packing for thinking we'd leave about June 25 -- BUT if we don't have to go only to Minnesota, then we can stay HOME longer - Until the end of July YIPPIE!! More time to keep our Bonnie (cat) under control. She's still doing ok with renal failure and dementia - well finding the food and kitty box still, and now and then some purrs so she's going along pretty good for 18 years old. Glad I don't have to stress her out on the road this month yet. Almost have my King quilt done quilting, took it easy on my neck and doing tiny bits nightly and the Flash sewing this weekend help kick that back into high gear.

:icon_wave: Have a good Monday whatever you do

:-Debbie

Monique
June 16th, 2014, 08:31 AM
Good morning dear friends. I completed (almost) three quilt tops while I was at retreat. The weather was perfect (cloudy and rainy) and it did not get too hot in the sewing room. Each morning I slept until 7:30 which is very rare for me. A wonderful time was had by all. Old friends meeting new friends. I will get pictures posted later.

Off to work this morning. Seems the hours have changed. I was to work 9:30-1:45 and now it is 9:30-12 instead. I am not happy about that, because it will take about 45 minutes to get there. With the price of gas?

Have a wonderful day ladies, the sun is shining here.

Cathy F
June 16th, 2014, 08:36 AM
Morning all!
Looks like it's going to be a beautiful sunny day here.

We had a busy weekend celebrating my daughter's birthday and father's day.Barbequed up some steaks, with roasted potato salad, grilled asparagus, and mozzarella and tomato salad, yum! The only thing better was the chocolate decadent ice cream cake from Cold Stone Creamery to top it all off with.

Hope to get some sewing time in today, I have a pile of quilts that really need to get finished. I have really been lax in staying on top of my "to do" list, bad me!

Off to get my first cup of coffee and drink it out on the deck. Everyday some new flowers are coming into bloom and I love sitting out there and looking at them, unfortunately I also see the weeds that I've fallen behind in pulling so I guess that's another thing to add to my list for today!

Mpyles
June 16th, 2014, 08:39 AM
Good morning! Hope everyone is well this morning. Blondie enjoy your vacation and don't be to hard on luscious! Carol absolute sign!! Go and create!
My weekend was the usual, I worked on Saturday...kinda sad..the young lady manager that I am trying to help lost her mother last week and it was an emotional day for her. I tried to get her to take the day off but she felt better being at work.

Sunday I went to my brothers for a get together. His wife's birthday is tomorrow so we celebrated that and Father's Day. DH stayed home...not quite up to that..haha..let's be honest if he were feeling well he would of opted for staying home! DH is actually doing pretty good. Seem to be having issues with his blood pressure being really low..so he is going to his general practioner today. They said he would lose some of his meds...we are just surprised it's so noticeable so soon. He has lost 50.8 lbs so far on his journey. I was surprised when I walked out on my brothers back patio yesterday to see my long lost older sister there. I had not seen her in almost 2 years. I can't say she looked good, she looked older than my mother. She was sociable enough and sober...so that was good. My brother and I have planned a family weekend at the lake in July. She claims to be coming....who knows. Hopefully all of my siblings and aunts and uncles will get to be there.

I did squeeze some sewing time in...working on a quilt for nieces baby...it's a trying block..but so far going well.

Well, today it's back to work...so I better get a move on! Everyone have a great day!!

Bubby
June 16th, 2014, 08:49 AM
Morning Everyone,

Carol, you have everything but an engraved invitation to join that guild...lol! Make sure you take advantage of the private lessons...that will be a real blessing.

We worked in Cuba all day Saturday. Yesterday we painted about half of the laundry room and got it ready for the new washer and dryer, which were delivered yesterday. We didn't realize the dryer needed a water hookup for the steam feature. Most of the machines I looked at had a water chamber that you pour want into. This machine is different. Anyway, I have a load of sheets washing right now. It's good not to hear thumping and grinding and not having to redistribute the load 10-12 times per wash cycle. I got about 10 years from the old washer, which was one of the first HE machines on the market. I bought another HE but this time a Whirlpool.

I have loads of errands to run this morning plus a trip to the grocery store for a few of their specials.

Blondie, enjoy your time off, Sweetie.

Wishing everyone a wonderful day....

Sandy Navas
June 16th, 2014, 09:30 AM
Sounds as if everyone had a wonderful weekend - time to get the moves on and make this a great week. Lots on my schedule but I'm never sure where to start. The little wrens in the nest outside our bedroom woke me about 5:30 and they are still singing away. I may need to find time for a nap later in the day.

Pins dropping, guilds calling, weight loss, new suds in the tub, 3 quilt tops at a retreat, birthdays and ice cream cake, packing suitcases, caring for aging pets - we've all got our hands full this week.

Just heard that a life-long friend passed last night. We never know when it is our time to go home.

Mpyles
June 16th, 2014, 09:48 AM
Sounds as if everyone had a wonderful weekend - time to get the moves on and make this a great week. Lots on my schedule but I'm never sure where to start. The little wrens in the nest outside our bedroom woke me about 5:30 and they are still singing away. I may need to find time for a nap later in the day.

Pins dropping, guilds calling, weight loss, new suds in the tub, 3 quilt tops at a retreat, birthdays and ice cream cake, packing suitcases, caring for aging pets - we've all got our hands full this week.

Just heard that a life-long friend passed last night. We never know when it is our time to go home.

Sandy,

So sorry for your loss. Prayers for your friend, their family and you.

aliaslaceygreen
June 16th, 2014, 10:09 AM
Good morning.... Miss Sleepyhead is still abed, but I think we may be having a museum day today.... I have to see what mood Laylabug is in, the weather outside is hot with humid. (84 and 70% at 9AM!!!) The AC of the museum may be just the thing...

I really need to clean too, but that isn't a doable thing on a Laylabug day...I am off Wednesday but am going to DC for a book signing, so I guess it's a good thing I took a vacation day too, on Thursday? Guess it will be housecleaning day then, unless someone has a better suggestion!!

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hu gs))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Madeforyouinma11
June 16th, 2014, 10:29 AM
This must be a busy week for everyone...
Sandy sorry for your loss.
This week will be preparing for my #2 daughters 30th birthday party. I'm headed over to daughter #1's house now. Lots to do before Saturday.
Blondie hope you enjoy your vacation.
Hope everyone has a great day! Gotta go!

MayinJerset
June 16th, 2014, 10:51 AM
I agree with what Sandy said, " Pins dropping, guilds calling, weight loss, new suds in the tub, 3 quilt tops at a retreat, birthdays and ice cream cake, packing suitcases, caring for aging pets - we've all got our hands full this week.", it was a pretty busy weekend of all of us.

Yesterday's BBQ wore me and DH out, he got up around 9am, I was up at 6:30 as usual but just went to lay on the couch for an hour or two. I asked family to pitch in with some making burgers, dogs or salads, young grandkids helped set up tables and everyone cleaned up but a long day having a good time with family wore both DH and I out. Not much planned for this week, my Granny's lunch for Friday has been rescheduled so that leaves a Bday lunch with a quilting friend and rest of the time I hope to get a lot of sewing and quilting done.

Did mention in another post 3rd great grandchild born yesterday, no name as of yet but we are all happy a new great grandson is here and Mom, baby and Dad too are doing good.

GrammaBabs
June 16th, 2014, 11:48 AM
Sorry Sandy... it's getting hard each day, never know when that type of news will come, especially here at "Oakpoint"..

But,, for me I choose to try and make it the reason to celebrate getting up each day and being able to join in the celebration of LIFE as long as we have it!
Enjoy the day everyone... today is beautiful here in MA..the kind of summer day we all love!! hugs, B

Blondie
June 16th, 2014, 11:57 AM
Okay, it was a THUD, not a pin dropping. Luscious just came back up The Hill from mowing Mom's grass. I figured I would lure him to my honey do list with a pan of biscuits and gravy. Oy. Vey. My Virginia Gentleman does not say that. Instead, he looked like his eyes would pop out and he stammered - " Dang, baby. How much do you think I can get done in a week. " I didn't tell him that while he was mowing, I got the first half of the first page done. Men. Even the best can be whining babies. That's okay. He's still my whiney baby and deserves a DAY off. No more, no less.
As you must know by know, I can crack a whip. Now to go find my and shine it up. SMILE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blondie
June 16th, 2014, 11:59 AM

Sandy, I am so sorry for this loss. Extra prayers of comfort for all concerned being said right now. Here's a big old Blondie hug and a whisper of comfort in your ear.

dizzyLiz
June 16th, 2014, 12:13 PM
Wow, you all could rule the world LOL. Sounds like all had busy weekend. Sandy I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend. Home sick from work today, but that may be a good thing. DD called at 6 am( 3am her time) and she is in labor. Seems my precious grandson will enter the world today. Praying for Mom and baby both. He already has perfect timing....give the family a week to get aquaited before Grandma and Grandpa arrive. We are soooooo excited to see them

EmmaB
June 16th, 2014, 12:30 PM
Good morning everyone! Sounds like everyone is off to a good start this week.

Friday I had a job interview. I think it went well but then again I haven't been on a job interview in almost 25 years so what do I know! Plus it was with a human resources guy and most interviews I've had in the past have always been pretty darn casual. If nothing else it gave me some practice for another one. I feel some changes comin on girlees which is a good thing. I'm getting stale.

DD left to stay with some friends late Saturday afternoon and I will see her this afternoon. I took advantage of the time alone and totally crashed after getting the yard mowed Saturday. Sunday I just had a total down-time day. After caring for the furbabies, I hate to admit it, but I got back in my jammies and laid around and watched Grey's Anatomy most of the day. I just needed to have no thoughts plus I missed my dad terribly. I didn't even pick up after myself until this morning. I think it did me a world of good.

Good thoughts to you all !!!! Enjoy your vacation Blondie!

Carol336
June 16th, 2014, 12:46 PM
Sounds like a perfect day Sharon - good for you!!!

Good morning everyone! Sounds like everyone is off to a good start this week.

Friday I had a job interview. I think it went well but then again I haven't been on a job interview in almost 25 years so what do I know! Plus it was with a human resources guy and most interviews I've had in the past have always been pretty darn casual. If nothing else it gave me some practice for another one. I feel some changes comin on girlees which is a good thing. I'm getting stale.

DD left to stay with some friends late Saturday afternoon and I will see her this afternoon. I took advantage of the time alone and totally crashed after getting the yard mowed Saturday. Sunday I just had a total down-time day. After caring for the furbabies, I hate to admit it, but I got back in my jammies and laid around and watched Grey's Anatomy most of the day. I just needed to have no thoughts plus I missed my dad terribly. I didn't even pick up after myself until this morning. I think it did me a world of good.

Good thoughts to you all !!!! Enjoy your vacation Blondie!

Simply Quilting
June 16th, 2014, 01:19 PM
Today started with a little bit of sleeping in. The migraine decided to hit this morning.
Sandy sorry for your loss.
Last week seemed to fly by, out and about a lot. We have looked at several houses and have one that we are going to go back and look at this week. There are still a lot of questions about it so not sure what will come of it.

One house we looked at was a friend of mine, the second floor had two bedrooms - one of the bedrooms was half the length of the house - perfect sewing and schoolroom. Seriously, you could have gotten three queen size beds in different areas of that room and still had plenty of room to walk around and store stuff. The house had tons of storage room. But it was a large house and give it a few years we won't need 5 bedrooms and 5 bathrooms.

One of the biggest lessons I have learned is to check with the county assessor's office to see what they have on file for measurements, improvements and taxes. Even your own home as we have found sometimes things are incorrectly listed that will change the tax rates.

This week includes archery lessons tonight for the children and me, swimming for the boys this week. Hopefully, our daughter as well at the end of the week if she can get her ingrown toenail healed up. I need to start working on lesson plans. And we are working on figuring out buying a house.

Have a great week everyone :)

WendyI
June 16th, 2014, 02:11 PM
HI ALL!!! OMGoodness life is busy now!!

Carol...karma is trying to tell you something for sure! You are going to meet some wonderful quilters AND get free lessons! You have done SOMETHING right in your life!!

Today is mental health day for me...see post with same! LOL! I am working on my sisters quilt and hope to finish the quilting today!! Fingers crossed!

Getting VERY excited for the wedding!! My DH and I had a three hour marathon talking session yesterday and I think we may just survive this mid-life crisis he's got going on...wish me luck!! Off to share some pics with y'all of my wee boy in his tux!

Hoping you all are having an amazing day!! xox

Over40momma
June 16th, 2014, 02:14 PM
:icon_wave: Good morning everyone. So nice to sit with my cup of coffee and catch up with all of you and your doings.

Had a lovely surprise this weekend. My brother and his son stopped in on their way back to Thunder Bay. It has been ages since I've seen them. There is a small ache below my heart as all my family live far away, but when I get to see them....my goodness my heart just bursts. lol They no sooner left then the son of my neighbor (she passed away 2 years ago) drove in with his wife and now 10 year old son. What a joy to be able to see the good things that have happened for them all since then.

Then I called and was able to talk to my Dad for a few minutes and wish him a Happy Father's Day. I could tell by his voice how weakened his body is since my visit at Easter. My mind knows this will be our last Father's Day, but we both just focused on enjoying this moment with all our heart and soul.

Need to get my backside moving now though, have some cakes to make as my DH will be turning 62 tomorrow. My girls are going to give me a hand and I am sure we will have party central ship-shape in no time.

Have fun everyone, keep safe and blessed be.

JCY
June 16th, 2014, 04:27 PM
Happy Monday, All ~ It's sunny & already 94 deg.! A hot one today. I've spent all a.m. in the kitchen making chicken soup from scratch for DH. It made 10 qts., so will last for a while. He's very allergic to MSG, so I have to cook very plain for him.

I'm working on a very quick & easy pattern for another baby quilt; the colors are pink & gray. There is another baby shower coming up at church next mo. , so I'm working on quilts for the 3 moms & babies. Another mom is using pink & green. Both are having girls. The other mom doesn't want to know the baby's sex ahead of time, so that one will have to be sort of gender neutral. I have several panels in my stash. I might FMQ one of those.

Everyone have a good week. Happy quilting, vacationing, whatever. JCY

Sandy Navas
June 16th, 2014, 06:06 PM
I'm working on a very quick & easy pattern for another baby quilt; the colors are pink & gray. JCY

You brought back such memories with the pink and gray (and before Karen says anything - I probably grew up a lot before I realized I truly didn't like pink). But, in grade school we had a student come in mid-term - I'll never forget him - his name was Pat Mason (I'm sure there are others out there by that name, so he won't know I'm writing about him). I fell in love, totally twitter-pated over Pat . . . and I don't think he ever knew (probably a very good thing). Pat wore WESTERN SHIRTS!!! So I had Momma make me a western style blouse in pink and gray. I've often thought about that blouse . . . but often thought about Pat, too - and I can still see him in my minds eye. Ah, preteen crushes . . .

MRoy
June 16th, 2014, 06:52 PM
Good afternoon to all! The weekend was nice here EXCEPT for a notice of taxes due for 2011 that came from the State Revenue Dept in Saturday's mail. I spoke to them first thing this morning and will be mailing additional clarifying info they need Wednesday morning on the way to Sit & Sew. I think it should all come out okay. Today was batch cooking and laundry day with some "go-fering" thrown in the mix so I've been pretty busy. It's quiet now so I'm relaxing for awhile. I hope you all have had a great day!

toggpine
June 16th, 2014, 07:14 PM
I'm just now sociable.

Sorry for your loss Sandy. I'm getting to the age where parents of my friends are leaving with more regularity. Some of the friends have gone too.

I have spent the last 12 hours being very sick. It's the same thing Em had. I think I got it from handling her muck boots yesterday. I guess it's cheaper than paying fora body purge.
Uck! I can't even watch TV. I didn't realize how many food commercials they show. So flipped in the radio, & I dozed on the couch when I could. I really want to guzzle a big glass of ice water, but am making do with some crushed ice. I had so many things to get done today. Oh well. They will all be there tomorrow.

I hope you all had a much better day than I.
Thoughts of hugs (they aren't contagious)!
C

ginampls
June 16th, 2014, 09:02 PM
Sandy honey!!! I am so sorry to hear of your loss. really sucks... . very hard...

Ginny B
June 16th, 2014, 11:04 PM
It sure looks like everyone had a busy weekend and everybody is off and running this Monday. Blondie, have a great vacation. Carol, I sure am thinking that you need to join that guild. It sounds as though they are pretty nice gals. Sandy, so very sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. {{{{{{hugs}}}}}

Birthday's, babies being born, Father's Day, job interviews and some of us not feeling so well - we sure are a pretty busy bunch of gals. Dh and I spent Saturday with his daughters, their dh's and our grandsons at Coney Island. We had a nice time and headed out of there around 2:30 or so and then I got to sew for a little bit. Sunday we slept in a bit then headed out for breakfast and a stop for some fabric on the way back and also a stop at a nursery for some plants. I wanted an African Violet to bring to work with me. Where I sit now I have a great window and it will do well there. The other Admin. gave me a begonia as a welcome gift when I started there and it is doing well but looks lonely so I thought I'd bring in a friend. :) I have realized over the last few days that I don't dread getting up for work on Monday's like I used to (or any other workday for that matter) and the neckpain I had is almost completely gone. I have seen some people from my old department and they say I look a lot more relaxed. Don't get me wrong, I'd still rather be home with my sewing machine and my garden, etc. but since I have to work for a bit longer, I am happy I made this move.

Well, everyone, sleep well tonight and have a happy Tuesday.

BobW
June 16th, 2014, 11:21 PM
Well, it is certainly Monday. I have stayed in, I haven't felt to good. I did a little bit around the house. Slept a lot. I didn't even get out to go to my Monday morning coffee group. I finally got a little bit of energy and put the 4th block to my mystery quilt together. Tomorrow is the last day I have to go in to get block 5.

Sandy, I'm sorry to hear about your friend. It is great to have lifetime friends. I really only have one and he just visited for a few days earlier this month. I would be crushed if something happened to him.

I'm glad everyone else is alive and kicking.