PDA

View Full Version : To All the Missing Dads ...

K. McEuen
June 15th, 2014, 03:37 PM
I know many of us here are missing our Dad's this Father's Day. Mine died in 2006 and there are still days when I miss him terribly. Today is one of those days.

I'm going to tell you all a little bit about my Dad - born of German immigrants on a small farm about 15 miles from Waco, Texas, Dad was the second from the youngest of 8 kids. If you had a farm back then you had plenty of kids to help you work the farm. Dad went to school through the 8th grade. He couldn't spell for crap, I used to have to spell Phoenix for him every time he wrote to my Aunt Aggie when she lived there. Dad was a machinist by trade, and a good one at that. He worked for different aerospace companies over his career, building various parts for different government contracts. The engineers on the projects would come to him to have him help work out the schematics on things they were designing. I found out (some time around 1985 or so) when I showed him some pictures that I had taken of the Stealth Fighter at an airshow that Dad had worked on the wing assembly of that plane back in 1958. The technology was in place 30 years before the plane was shown to the public!

Dad was in the Navy during World War II. I'm not sure what his first job was, but the one I remember, because of the following picture, was as a salvage diver. I asked him why he wanted that job, because Dad wasn't much for water and swimming. He told me that he got an extra fifty cents a week pay for doing that job. Must have seemed like a lot at the time, to a small town Texas farm boy. I am attaching one of my favorite pictures of him. It is the one from way back when, in his diving suit. And for those of you that are in the NY area ... Dad's base of operations and where he "worked" was diving for salvage from WWII in the Hudson River. It's amazing what you learn years after the fact ...

Happy Father's Day Dad!

Sandy Navas
June 15th, 2014, 03:49 PM
What a tribute - he sure was a handsome man!! Thanks for sharing, Karen.

Kgrammiecaz
June 15th, 2014, 04:17 PM
Thanks for sharing about your dad. I can relate to the help with spelling. My dad only went through to the 5th grade because he had to work to help the family. I still giggle when he asks how to spell words.

It sounds like you have great memories with your dad. Those memories are priceless

Miss Sheri
June 15th, 2014, 04:18 PM
Karen, that is truly a special tribute and it touched my heart. My dad was in the Navy after WWII and before Korea. He was on the ship's Radar system, and would help navigate through the Sea of Japan around all the water mines still intact. I am so fortunate to still have both of my parents although they are fading more quickly this past year or two, it won't be long before they can no longer care for themselves. It is a blessing indeed to have parents you can be proud of, who have left you a legacy you can look up to. Happy Fathers's Day to all our amazing Dads.

Iris Girl
June 15th, 2014, 04:45 PM
Karen what an awesome tribute, Hudson river is my neck of the woods!

Quiltfreestyle
June 15th, 2014, 04:49 PM
That was a wonderful tribute, thank you Karen..
I never knew my Dad much, but my Father in Law stepped in and made up for that. I loved him so much & I still miss him too.
God bless all fathers

Learner quilter
June 15th, 2014, 04:58 PM
To all Dads. Gone but not forgotten.. 79427

Divine Daisy
June 15th, 2014, 05:54 PM
My Dad died aged 33 when I was 9. He was an engineer and worked on many projects, not least on the Blue Streak which was the British space program. The project was cancelled but his engines went into production and ended up in space after all, powering the Apollo rockets. He too was a handsome man, looked like Paul Newman the girls said lol. He was in the army for his national service and served in the desert. He used to say the only good the army did him was cure the spots on his back with the desert sun.

My mother met a new man when I was in my teens and lived with him 'in sin' for 14 years. They married when I was in my 30s 'for the pension darling'. Edgar was a good man and was a better father to me than my own Dad had the chance to be. He died 15 years ago having been a rock in my life and the best Granda to my girls. I miss him very much. I miss my Dad when I look at my eldest daughter, also an engineer and doing things that would make him burst with pride (after he got over a girl being an engineer at all!)

Happy Father's Day Dad and Edgar. I am so lucky to have had you both.

sewluvit
June 15th, 2014, 10:12 PM
Daisy, your life was a lot like mine. My Dad also died when I was 9 years old and he had been in the armed forces as well. He was a good father that doted on my brother and I. He had spent a lot of his childhood in an orphanage but he had nothing bad to say about it.
My mother also remarried when I was in my 30's to a good guy who was also a good grandfather to our children, the only grandfather they would ever know. He and my mother are both gone now, but he is always remembered on Father's Day too.

dwil23
June 15th, 2014, 10:36 PM
Very nice post, Karen.

My Dad has been gone since 2005 and not a day goes by that he is not missed. He too was a WWII veteran. He served in the Army in the South Pacific. He said the only favor the Army ever did for him was to send him there rather than Europe as he always hated cold weather. He was in Iwo Jima and Gauda Canal. I wish now that I had paid more attention to his stories. He started working as a teenager digging ditches for a new plant that was being built - American Can Company. He (and his brother) got jobs there when they opened, and other than his four years in the Army, never worked anywhere else. He met Mom there and she waited for him to come home. They married in '47 but I was not born until 10 years later. Dad was deeply affected by the war. It would be called PSTD today. He was the best. Always considerate of others and taught me so much. My oldest son was so close to him and models his own fathering on what he learned from his Granddaddy. He was the father figure that my ex never was to all of my kids.

JCY
June 15th, 2014, 11:42 PM
My dad died in 1985 when he was 83 y.o. of complications of Parkinson's Disease. He was a minister in an evangelical denomination for 40 years. In their early married life, my parents were missionaries to Portuguese East Africa (now Mozambique). My older bro. & sis. were born in S. Africa. They both died of recent years. (I'm the baby of the family, much younger than them.) My mom lived to be 92. We miss them all, especially on these special days. It's comforting to know I'll see them again when I get to Heaven. JCY

Terry L
June 16th, 2014, 12:47 AM
Reading your tribute to your Dad had me looking back at my own memories of my Dad. Thank you for the path back in time.

auntiemern
June 16th, 2014, 02:52 AM
Thanks for sharing DF. I can tell how very proud you are to be his daughter, and how proud you are of him being your dad. I miss my dad too. As we get older, I think it is harder. We begin to think of our own mortality. My dad was an uneducated bar room brawler, and a real hard a$$ considering he had 5 girls. He taught us how to be strong, and fight for what is right. He taught me to fish and fight like a boy, and he had a hard time accepting I was a girl as I grew up. (I was a daddy's girl)He was gone by the time I became a granny, but I know he is proud of what I have become, and who I am. I know I have a lot of him in me, and for that I will never apologize. I may not always be genteel and lady like, but I am my daddy's little girl.

SallyO'Sews
June 16th, 2014, 10:59 AM
Thanks for sharing this, Karen - your dad was very handsome!

I'm not sure there's enough money in the US Defense Dept. to get me to set one toe in the Hudson; kudos to your father for what must have been an amazing immune system!

WendyI
June 16th, 2014, 11:41 AM
Wow Karen...that's totally amazing! Thanks so much for sharing and here's a (((((((((((((HUGE HUG))))))))))) for you for missing your dad. I LOVE that pic!!

maxwellthecat
June 18th, 2014, 01:34 AM
Both my parents died in 1991, they passed away 6 months apart. I was only 32 years old