PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know about scanners?

Iris Girl
June 14th, 2014, 05:37 PM
I want to get a flatbed scanner so I can start to transfer all the old photos to my computer and save them to a disk. I picked out this one. It gets decent reviews and the price is good.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VQR1UC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

My son who is the computer geek is very stubborn on this point and aid it will be way to complicated for me to work.
I don't build computers like he does , but I can work basic equipment. I have printers and a digital camera and a smart phone.

Does anyone have any answers or help that may help me decide if I am wasting my money. Thanks all

bubba
June 14th, 2014, 05:42 PM
Don't they have places back there that will do that for you? I can ask MM when he gets home...he is the guru in our house.

K. McEuen
June 14th, 2014, 05:48 PM
I think a lot depends on what kind of software it comes with. Hopefully you get one that allows you to save at different resolutions. A typical scan of a picture is saved at 72 dpi, which is standard for web photos. Now, if at some time you want to print copies of the photos from the scan I would suggest that you save at the highest resolution possible so that you don't end up with a grainy print. I normally choose 300 dpi for that when given a choice.

Sandy Navas
June 14th, 2014, 05:48 PM
April, that looks like it would work perfectly for what you say you want it to do.

Tell that son of yours that you were smart enough to raise him . . . :icon_heh:

. . . sorry, I just couldn't help myself . . .

ozziepuppy
June 14th, 2014, 05:50 PM
Were you able to hook up your own printer? If so, you can do the scanner. You just have to (a) read the manual (or at least the quick-start guide) and/or (b) watch instructional videos on the Canon site or on YouTube. The Canon website has a phone number you can call for help if you run into problems, too. That looks like a fine scanner to me.

Your son sounds like my (grown) children. "Back in the day" I even did computer programming (Fortran) and yet they still think I can't do anything. I say go for it. :icon_cool:

Iris Girl
June 14th, 2014, 06:01 PM
He is just being stubborn. I have never had to hook up anything. be it printer , vcr dvd, he always took pride in doing that stuff for us. I want to get rid of all these big heavy space taking albums. I have my baby picture, hubbys baby pictures, my moms baby pictures and all her brothers and sisters , and get them all together in one easy convenient place.

Pat as far as having a place to do that with the amount of photos I have it would cost a fortune.

Sandy I agree this one appears to be able to do what I want with ease... I guess I won't know til I try.

Familyjournals
June 14th, 2014, 06:16 PM
I want to get a flatbed scanner so I can start to transfer all the old photos to my computer and save them to a disk. I picked out this one. It gets decent reviews and the price is good.
Amazon.com: Canon CanoScan 4507B002 LiDE110 Color Image Scanner: Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VQR1UC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER)

My son who is the computer geek is very stubborn on this point and aid it will be way to complicated for me to work.
I don't build computers like he does , but I can work basic equipment. I have printers and a digital camera and a smart phone.

Does anyone have any answers or help that may help me decide if I am wasting my money. Thanks all

Hey gal you've choose well. One of my passions is genealog.y, hence the Familyjournals name I've been dubbed with. When I teach about archives, I have people scan with a flat bed like that. The scanners that come attached to printers can be okay but you usually get better results from a stand alone. You get what you pay for. Just remember L.O.C.K.S.S -lots of copies keeps stuff safe. Make double copies, one to some external drive and one to the cloud like drop box, ever note, google drive, mozy, etc. Have fun!

sassygranny
June 14th, 2014, 06:59 PM
My current scanner is a Canon but not this model. I get nice scans out of it. I have to admit, the software isn't the most user-friendly I've run into. But, this one has an autoscan button. You should be just fine. I think that the after-processing is the most time-consuming, detailed part of the task. If you're comfortable manipulating photos from your digital camera, you'll be comfortable with this. You get the same product...a digital photo. You just acquire it in a different way. The one you've picked out is really inexpensive. You don't have a lot to lose if you go with it.

Slokarma
June 14th, 2014, 07:07 PM
when it comes to 100 years of family pictures, I'd put a copy in a safe deposit box in the bank.

I like my Photosmart Plus Printer and Scanner. It's # 2 for me cause the kids got all our previous equipment when we purchased new. I don't know how on the best scanner prints graph it is, but it's reasonably good and I can operate it AND, as much as I hate having to replace two things at the same time, I also hate having two big things on a shelf and 2 black cords hanging around.

LindaKay75
June 14th, 2014, 09:18 PM
I have been there and done that. I bought myself a Hewlett Packard, it's a 3 in 1, scans, prints and copies. I've had it for quite some time and have had no problems. I scanned all my family pictures, etc. into my computer, then transferred them to a memory stick. Good luck with your project. You will enjoy it.

New York Sue
June 14th, 2014, 09:32 PM
JAYZEE, April!
Good luck. I got nothing....
RATTLE that boy around, me thinks! ;)