PDA

View Full Version : Flexible flight dates

Julie Tweed
June 13th, 2014, 03:19 PM
Does anyone know a flight search engine that will show cheapest flights from one location to to another...dates are not set as they would be arranged around the lowest cost flight...but I am in the UK travelling from Belfast Northern Ireland to Portland Maine...I would prefer NOT to use travel agent because of extra fees....needs to be as low cost as possible,

Plus any good quilt shops near Lewiston Maine en route to,there from. Portland airport..:-)

Cheers
Julie

bubba
June 13th, 2014, 03:41 PM
Any approximate period of time? How long will you be there? Is it round trip or one way?

K. McEuen
June 13th, 2014, 04:06 PM
The travel link on Yahoo will let you list dates the way you are talking about. I normally book my flights through them.

Midge
June 13th, 2014, 04:09 PM
Kayak.com is excellent, but you have to specify dates. Can't hurt to look, though.

Claire OneStitchAtATime
June 13th, 2014, 04:11 PM
There aren't a lot of international search engines that have calendar searches, alas. If you're totally flexible, a Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday is likely to be the least expensive, and you might have to wait till September to avoid peak season fares. I hardly ever find decent fares US to Belfast. We mostly fly to Dublin and drive to the north. Something to do with taxes from the Belfast airport vs. Dublin airport. The one time I did find a better deal to Belfast the flight was cancelled & we ended up flying to Dublin anyway, after a difficult 48 hours in transit. Finally, both Portland ME & & Belfast are smallish airports & that will push the price up because there won't be many carriers who serve both airports or competition on the route. You might consider one round trip to Boston, which has a huge Irish American population & hence better fares to Ireland (also Chicago & New York tend to have better fares for same reason) and a separate round trip Boston to Portland. Serious price comparison is going to hours of online searching, unfortunately.

Julie Tweed
June 13th, 2014, 04:33 PM
Any approximate period of time? How long will you be there? Is it round trip or one way?

Going for about 7 days, no set date but august to possibly October and it's round trip for two...

Julie Tweed
June 13th, 2014, 04:35 PM
Great ideas..thanks Claire....

Leah53
June 13th, 2014, 04:42 PM
Travelocity.com So, you're going to visit the hospital I was born in? I was born in Portland, Eastern Maine Medical Center now but was called Maine General way way back.

As far as quilt shops between Portland and Lewiston, there's one in Freeport which also has outlet stores and it's right off 95 or is that 295, the interstate. cottonweeds.com .

bubba
June 13th, 2014, 06:08 PM
If you fly from Belfast to Boston, it is approx $300 cheaper per person. They have a train that will take two hours, I think, for less than $40 from Boston to Portland. Go to Travelocitycom and check what works best for you.

Claire OneStitchAtATime
June 13th, 2014, 07:25 PM
Julie, I'm an ex-pat. I must have done that web search at least 40 times, to various places I lived in the US. Good luck! And have fun! There must be a Maine forum member who has some ideas too. It will be lovely in the autumn.

Leah53
June 13th, 2014, 08:13 PM
I'm a Maine forum member, living in South Carolina but I'm not a world traveler, have only flown once and that was in 1975, didn't like it, won't do it again, so I can't counsel you on any travel modes unless it's by car or hitchhiking. lol

IBake
June 14th, 2014, 12:46 AM
You might try using a travel agent for this also. I used to book the travel for the company that I worked with. A good agent doesn't cost you except a small handling fee. They are good at finding cheap fares without you having to do all the searching on Kayak or travelocity..

snippet
June 14th, 2014, 02:51 AM
I use kayak.com You can flex your dates +/- 3 days on kayak.

Another one that I really love is ITA Software's website (http://matrix.itasoftware.com/). It gives you a month view! They are the engine behind a lot of the travel companies. You can't buy from ITA, it's just an informational site, you'll have to go to the airline or online travel places to purchase.