PDA

View Full Version : Thursday - it's gonna be a great day

Blondie
June 12th, 2014, 07:09 AM

Time to say Happy Thursday, Folksies!

Yep, Thursday. There are no profound thoughts today (as if cleaning and yard work is profound conversation starters).
But that is all that is on my mind. I took a break yesterday from the basement. My sinuses couldn't take all that stuff and wearing one of those masks - wellsir, I can only take that a few minutes at a time. I knew this. That is why I stated recently I would be at this all summer. Hubs will be helping soon; he just isn't as decisive and ruthless as I am. Also, family members with their stuff in my basement have been given fair warning. The only items I am willing to store in my basement is a bed and small vanity that was my Granny's. My sister received that years ago and there is no place in her house at the moment for it. It doesn't take up as much space as the rest of the junk. So, I was hauling a literal mountain of mulch from it's staging location in the front drive. We've had those Asplunh trucks that chip up trees grace us with a few loads. While it's too hot for our flower beds, it is fine for certain areas that are needing some sprucing up.

We received some of those wild storms yesterday evening. I got in here for a brief few moments and was posting on our Jenny's Birthday wishes when POP! It was lights out for a few minutes. By the time it came back on I was in the bed. It flickered quite a bit. And the thunder! One big BOOM and our entire house shook. I am almost askeered to check out the basement this morning - it is still raining and don't know if there will be any liquid sunshine down there.

School will be over tomorrow for the summer here. We had so many make up days due to snow that they had to go a bit longer. Meanwhile, 1/4 mile away in Virginia where they missed about 2 -3 weeks more than we did - school released over Memorial Day. It seems Virginia decided to forgive all those missed days. Children all over our area have been grousing about that for the past few weeks. After tomorrow, all children in our area will be singing No More Teachers, No More Books.

Work for me today, in just a wee bit. Have a wonderful day. Even if it is as mundane as what I have written above~ HEY! Wake up! It's called life and I like boring very well, thank you! Now, go forth and SMILE.

Hugs, blessings and prayers to all.

Blondie

Bubby
June 12th, 2014, 08:34 AM
Morning Blondie and Everyone,

Jeff just left for work. He had to work a double shift yesterday to do some high voltage wiring. He's tired to the bone today.

We are supposed to get rain and more rain today. They said between 3-6 inches in the next day or so. We are going to Cuba tomorrow and all weekend.

Blondie, you're working too much, Girl! Slow down a little and put a needle in your hand. I sat for a while yesterday and finished binding the You've Got Mail quilt. I may never make another one, but I'm glad I made this one. Now I can get going on the quilt for my DDs birthday in August. After that I will take a break and really clean and organize the sewing room. I want to haul everything out of the closet and also get my stash neatened (is this a word?) up.

I wish everyone a blessed day with hugs all around.....

Carol336
June 12th, 2014, 08:35 AM
Good morning Blondie - Boy I hear you loud and clear on that cleaning out business. Believe it or not, our basement is almost empty now.....what is left is what the Hubs and I have to sort through - old pictures, boxes of memento's that we couldn't part with when our parents passed - bet we'll not have a big problem letting some of it go now. Not gonna have a lot of room in a condo.

Has anyone every used one of those cooling pillows? I seem to be hitting a brick wall finding one I like. First I bought a chillow from BB&B - you fill it with water - yep - it leaks. Took it back.
Bought a Iso-Cool - 72 buckeroos- ON SALE!!!! Well it's hard as a brick, weighs a ton, and guess what - doesn't feel any cooler than my regular pillow - taking it back today. I sure could use a little advice here!!!

Cloudy and damp this am.....think I'll do a little shopping when I take my pillow back. Going dancing tonight, hmmmm, a snappy new top might be nice!!!!

Smiles to everyone

shermur
June 12th, 2014, 09:14 AM
Morning, Blondie and all the rest!

IT's raining here...again! Please..no wetness in the basement. I've had to turn down two showings so far this week because of the rain water coming into the basement. Whoever put the sump pump in this house did not think it out well and by the time the water runs from the back of the house to where the sump pump is...water is coming into the basement! I'm going to work and advised tween to keep a lookout for any disaster in the basement and to call should it happen!

Blondie
June 12th, 2014, 09:21 AM
Just came up the stairs from checking our basement for water - thank the good lord it is dry. Fingers crossed for you Sherri. And some extra prayers, sweetie. You are on my mind and in my heart.

Morning, Blondie and all the rest!

IT's raining here...again! Please..no wetness in the basement. I've had to turn down two showings so far this week because of the rain water coming into the basement. Whoever put the sump pump in this house did not think it out well and by the time the water runs from the back of the house to where the sump pump is...water is coming into the basement! I'm going to work and advised tween to keep a lookout for any disaster in the basement and to call should it happen!

MayinJerset
June 12th, 2014, 09:23 AM
Morning all, We don't have a basement for several reasons. Very high water table in our area due to closeness to Raritan Bay and lots of big creeks. Basements in area often flood so that's why our house is built on a slab foundation. Second they become catch alls that eventually need cleaning up, a huge task that only the brave like Blondie attempt to tackle. My sister used to let her in laws store stuff in her basement and came to find out part of it were bags of garbage that they were too lazy to throw out.

Rainy again but no big storms or thunder booms so we're pretty lucky. Father's Day weekend is supposed to be sunny and in low 80's so that's good for our BBQ on Sunday. Better go over the menu and get last minute items. Everyone is supposed to bring food with them and DS#3's kids will do set up on deck so that should free me of all the prep work. I can get that done OK but next day for the party I'm exhausted and while very one is having a good time all I want to do is take a nap. Hope this BBQ's plan for sharing the work load works out well.

Monique
June 12th, 2014, 10:15 AM
Good morning everyone. I have arrived at the retreat well ahead of everyone else it seems. Sitting here in the parking lot waiting. It's a good thing I have my laptop. It is raining on top of that too. I wish everyone a happy weekend.

Do you think I am anxious to get started?

Sandy Navas
June 12th, 2014, 10:20 AM
Wet sunshine here again (and again and again). We are still so wet that we can't get the trucks in to clean up the mess from 10 days ago. I had thought about going out to mow yesterday afternoon but the ground is still so soaked that I was afraid I'd lose the mower. I did notice that our anal retentive neighbor was out mowing his (takes him 1/10th the time it does us) - guess he was trying to beat the rains that rolled through here in the middle of the night.

Yesterday was pretty much a wash-out day for me. Al's truck needed new inspection and registration so I went with him (also changing titles on some other vehicles) and when we got the inspection done they told us the DMV office had moved (we're on contracts here in MO and the previous contract owners lost out in a recent bid - sad because they were so fantastic there). Anyway, we find the new office, go in and there are about 10 people or so before us. The FIRST day the new office is open and they were having major computer issues. Several people coming in sat for a while and then left. Two hours later we were out the door . . . but it will save us messing up another day. Then Al had an appointment with the orthopedist about his shoulder - diagnosis is arthritis and right now no surgery in the immediate future. I think Al's pain level is a lot less than mine . . . but what do I know.

I did manage to make it in to sew a couple green blocks but found that I wasn't concentrating and was afraid I'd goof up worse than I have some things in the past, so I have left one to work on today. I'm also working on a very special 'barn quilt' for my Li'l Sis. I want to have it finished, as a surprise, before the 4th when my BIL's family hold their annual 4th party celebration. So out comes the paint brush today. It will be 4x4 foot and I'm doing the Missouri Star block but personalizing it since my BIL collects Massey-Harris tractors - I'm doing it in the MH colors with the logo in the center block.

That's it. I hope no one feels the need to start building an ark today. Stay happy and healthy. Hugs abound!

Navy Wife
June 12th, 2014, 10:35 AM
It's raining here again. I'm glad since we still need the rain. But I need to be hauling stuff to the RV. Fortunately I don't have a lot to load. As soon as this shower is over, I'll take a load out and do some unpacking and putting away. We'll be leaving in the morning, and I may be out of touch for a few days. We never know how the wifi is at campgrounds. I'll check in tonight before I go to bed and then sign off.

Have a wonderful day!

Linda

Jean Sewing Machine
June 12th, 2014, 10:50 AM
Hi everyone! I saw the icky green and orange radar pics of Sandy and Sherri's neck of the woods, so sorry for you Sherri, having to deal with floods in the basement. When I was trying to sell my country property, there was a water disaster per week while we were showing the place. I had already moved to St. louis, I hated walking in during my moving days, fearing what new water disaster I'd find. It isn't easy to deal with this! All of mine were from equipment failures, not rain.

I have an Uncle Sam costume in production for a benefit concert we're giving at the End of June. Need to put on the sleeves to the jacket, then buy some buttons for the vest and jacket. Got the pants and vest completed. It's using up stash, so the pattern and the buttons are my only current expense.

Hope you all have a great day!

meemeecyn
June 12th, 2014, 11:14 AM
Good morning, Blondie.....and to all my other quilting sisters! Thinking of all who are experiencing weather concerns today. It sure has been unpredictable!

Have not been posting too much. I do try and skim posts, but don't always write. Enjoy staying connected in whatever way works! You'd think that being retired would give me more time....but it seems that I am busier. I guess the difference is doing stuff that I enjoy instead of 'required' things! Go figure......

Love hearing about each of you and what is going on in the M* quilting world. There have been some wonderful quilts and other projects pictured! I've been concentrating on Christmas ornaments, of all things.....getting ready for 2 Fairs, both organizations where I volunteer. Tomorrow night someone is coming to talk of a Zentangle type method. She uses what she has learned in her actual quilting.

Have a wonderful day to each of you!
Cynthia

toggpine
June 12th, 2014, 11:38 AM
Morning!

We are expecting ran later today, but we'll see if it actually gives us enough to water everything. The last precipitation didn't even get the ground wet under the trees.

I have the bottom seam of my bag lining to finish this morning and then I can install it into the outer bag and see how it works. Let's hope I copied the other one correctly!

School is winding down here. Em has one more week and she's done for the summer. She really isn't all that excited, as she loves school. She is looking forward to sleeping in, staying up a bit later, and Thursday night sleep-overs at Nana's house. So at least it's not all bad.

Make it a great day and be the reason someone else smiles!
Hugs, C

CrazyMtnLady
June 12th, 2014, 11:40 AM
Good morning everyone. Another day of rain....rain....rain. Was so glad for winter to be over but this rain is ridiculous. How am I suppose to get my laundry washed and hung on the line to dry if it never stops raining long enough? grrrr.
Been doing lots of cleaning on the inside.. actually found my sewing machine under all those clothes yet to be ironed. :( Soon I will be able to get some ufo's finished.

Hope everyone is well and happy.

hugs and prayers to all.

shermur
June 12th, 2014, 12:54 PM
Ok...just go ahead and shoot me! Tween just called and the water is in the basement again! Leaving work to go and clean up the mess....

EnumclawGramma
June 12th, 2014, 03:29 PM
Morning! (still technically because it's not noon here yet!) I'm having a wonderful Thursday! My quilting mentor (the one BEFORE Jenny!) got a wonderful new longarm for Christmas and just came over and took 5 UFOs off my hands to quilt for me! I am SO excited! This is going to work out swimmingly because, although this group of quilts is free.....when she does start charging I know she'll be fair priced, she will do a wonderful job and it'll give me a chance to see her once in awhile! I can't wait to get these back! Yay!

My DGD is home today. Her leg is just givin' her pains. Today the stitches come out. Poor kid. I know she's getting SO tired of laying around with her leg elevated. There's only so much TV and video games you can take.

Yesterday I got to go to my Son's house and watch my other 5 Grands! What a TREAT for me! They're so extremely well behaved, and just a joy to be with. I'll be doing this every other Wednesday and I'm so happy about that.

It's supposed to rain here today, first in a few weeks. I guess we need it.....I miss the blue sky! Oh well, no rain, no rainbows, right?

Have a wonderful day....whatever is left of it. Hugs and Prayers to all who want/need!

Sandy Navas
June 12th, 2014, 03:37 PM
Good morning, Blondie.....and to all my other quilting sisters! Thinking of all who are experiencing weather concerns today. It sure has been unpredictable!

Have not been posting too much. I do try and skim posts, but don't always write. Enjoy staying connected in whatever way works! You'd think that being retired would give me more time....but it seems that I am busier. I guess the difference is doing stuff that I enjoy instead of 'required' things! Go figure......

Love hearing about each of you and what is going on in the M* quilting world. There have been some wonderful quilts and other projects pictured! I've been concentrating on Christmas ornaments, of all things.....getting ready for 2 Fairs, both organizations where I volunteer. Tomorrow night someone is coming to talk of a Zentangle type method. She uses what she has learned in her actual quilting.

Have a wonderful day to each of you!
Cynthia

I had to look up Zentangle and I must say you should NOT have posted this where I could see it. Would LOVE to do something like that . . . in my next venture??? That's gorgeous.

Mpyles
June 12th, 2014, 03:55 PM
Good afternoon! Late getting here today! I got up early and worked on my family tree...dos anyone else have an interest in genealogy? Then watched a movie with DH ....the monuments men...it was pretty good. I set up a TV tray and sat and squared 2 1/2" half square triangles for the baby quilt for my niece....whatever posessed me to do a complete quilt in these I have no idea...hate the trimming!

DH went for his checkup yesterday...all is well..they removed his drain and staples. He is on full liquids which means he can have strained cream soups, thinned down cream if wheat, pudding....and such. He's pretty happy bout that...chicken broth was getting old!

Well off to trim some more! Have a great day!

MRoy
June 12th, 2014, 05:34 PM
Good afternoon! I've been busy with yard work today and am just now posting. I cut the grass and all those pesky white clover blooms so the yard will look pretty for a couple of days until the new blooms come out. I found an ad in the paper today that my favorite discount store will have 15% off tomorrow and Saturday. This is the store with the great fabric for $3/yard regular price. I think a F.A.R.T (fabric acquisition road trip) looking for fabric at $2.55/yard may be needed tomorrow.

Mary, I'm interested in genealogy. I've gathered quite a bit of info on both mine and my husband's ancestors.

Iris Girl
June 12th, 2014, 05:44 PM
Good afternoon all. It is rainy here also. I also need to mow and get laundry out to dry...not today seems. Worked today then came home and did some sewing on 2 different PICU group quilts. they are both so cute I can't decide which to work on so I alternate...crazy.

I did a Zentangle piece small but it was so much fun.79028

Sandy Navas
June 12th, 2014, 06:23 PM
April, you are so amazingly talented! Love this piece.

Iris Girl
June 12th, 2014, 06:39 PM
April, you are so amazingly talented! Love this piece.

aww shucks...:0

BellasQuilts
June 12th, 2014, 10:59 PM
Uh oh, zentangle. Here I go right behind Sandy. Curiosity abounds!

I too am interested in geneaology. My other favorite site is ancestry.com.

Sunny and warm here - no rain darn it.

Lots work, lots projects, I need a vacation...hugs and smiles!

megan

meemeecyn
June 13th, 2014, 12:55 AM
Good afternoon all. It is rainy here also. I also need to mow and get laundry out to dry...not today seems. Worked today then came home and did some sewing on 2 different PICU group quilts. they are both so cute I can't decide which to work on so I alternate...crazy.

I did a Zentangle piece small but it was so much fun.79028

Beautiful, April! Someday I will do that. And SANDY.....I bet you would love quilting in a Zentangle way. Some day I will actually learn how to do FMQ! :)