PDA

View Full Version : Do you find it creepy

Hulamoon
June 10th, 2014, 05:55 AM
When you click around the web and sites show up that you just went to, like rulers or fabric? How do you stop that?

TheYarnmaiden
June 10th, 2014, 06:39 AM
Do you mean the auto-populated side bar ads?
Depending on your browser, there should be an addon or extension usually called "adblock" or "adblocker" (read the reviews before you choose, and keep it updated when your browser updates), and that will do just as it says and block the ads. Though for many blog sites that run on ad revenue, they won't be getting their tenth of a penny for your visit... but you can keep them from showing up.

SallyO'Sews
June 10th, 2014, 11:27 AM
Yes, I do find it creepy/annoying. No, I'm not surprised. All the "free" sites (Google, Facebook, etc.) have to make money somehow. And I'd rather see ads for things I'm actually interested in (and G-rated) than for something inappropriate (which can happen).

That's progress, folks! :icon_shake:

TheYarnmaiden
June 10th, 2014, 11:56 AM
It's other sites too.
Any blog, artist, food photographer, web comic, or even crafter that has a small site/blog where they post regularly enough to have the traffic needed to sell a small ad spot (or runs through a blogher or wordpress style hosting set up) depend on those ads loading to see any sort of revenue up until they're large enough to populate those spots with their own ads. (For their own books/shirts/what have yous.)
Facebook is horrible though and I highly recommend grabbing adblock for your browser of preference and then going through and adding the small sites you do like to the 'allow' list, so you're still supporting the people you enjoy reading/using for references. =)

Sheena
June 10th, 2014, 02:13 PM
Good grief! What would happen if you just looked up 'vibrator' would you be hounded forever and you DH find out?

Hulamoon
June 10th, 2014, 02:28 PM
Good grief! What would happen if you just looked up 'vibrator' would you be hounded forever and you DH find out?

lol my dh wouldn't be able to get on the computer without me. He is completely clueless.

kaydee
June 10th, 2014, 03:49 PM
Last week I tried to order a shed from Home Depot that was on sale ($100.00 off), but they were "out of stock". A few days later I noticed one of those side bar ads for the very same shed from Hope Depot. Sure enough, I clicked on it, and I was able to order it. I would not have gone back and looked if it weren't for that ad. So I am officially a fan.

I like the targeted ads that I might have an interest in, rather than just getting random ads for things and from places that I want nothing to do with.

If you shop for something in an "incognito" window, would you still get the targeted ads? Might be worth a try for those "private" items.

Cat77
June 10th, 2014, 03:57 PM
Just delete your cookies and then you should be fine!

Midge
June 10th, 2014, 05:51 PM
Lorie, if you don't want ads following you around, but there are certain ads that you don't mind seeing, you might want to give Ghostery a try. Ghostery is a free privacy manager. It lets you know who is following you around the web tracking where you go - yes, companies do that. You can block everything, or you can opt in to allow certain sites to follow you. It gets rid of the clutter on your screen and even those who do searches for, ahem, vibrators, can web surf in privacy.

Deleting cookies doesn't help, by the way. They call it 'the invisible web' for a reason.

Familyjournals
June 10th, 2014, 05:57 PM
When you click around the web and sites show up that you just went to, like rulers or fabric? How do you stop that?

Deleting cookies works well for me. I guess the invisible web hasn't found me (yet). You just need to delete your cookies then tell your preferences that you do not want to be tracked or it will just happen again. Some websites won't work with out depositing a cookie, so it is good to clean them out on a regular basis.

WendyI
June 10th, 2014, 09:43 PM
There really is no escaping advertising. Deleting cookies works...until you go to that site again and pick up their cookies...then you have to delete again. But if you don't allow cookies, then you can hardly go anywhere! Advertising is evil! >:(

Kateskloset
June 10th, 2014, 09:50 PM
It is creepy to me too! I can be looking at Lowe's website and then, there it is...the fabric that I looked at a month ago on Fabrics.com. I looks at an ottoman for my living room awhile back on some home furnishing sites........and there they were, on Facebook, on quilt sites...EVERYWHERE!!!

ozziepuppy
June 10th, 2014, 09:57 PM
Lorie, if you don't want ads following you around, but there are certain ads that you don't mind seeing, you might want to give Ghostery a try. Ghostery is a free privacy manager. It lets you know who is following you around the web tracking where you go - yes, companies do that. You can block everything, or you can opt in to allow certain sites to follow you. It gets rid of the clutter on your screen and even those who do searches for, ahem, vibrators, can web surf in privacy.

Deleting cookies doesn't help, by the way. They call it 'the invisible web' for a reason.

I installed Ghostery but had no idea what to block, so I blocked everything. Is that what you did? It said that blocking some sites could cause problems. I guess I will find out.

whippetmom
June 10th, 2014, 10:03 PM
I use Ghostery also, works great. I also use CCleaner when I am done surfing, it cleans out cookies, and everything. You would be very surprised on how much crap is attached in just a little while.