PDA

View Full Version : Whine, whine, whine

carolynrae
June 10th, 2014, 02:12 AM
May I whine tonight? Someone didn't close the freezer door on the fridge and everything, (everything) defrosted. I am frantically baking Rhodes rolls, making monkey bread (two) and cooking things we can eat tomorrow night, throwing some things out....and it is so hot here, sure didn't want to have the oven on for so long, or be cooking all night. :(

GuitarGramma
June 10th, 2014, 02:14 AM
Oh, that's awful! I'm glad you can salvage some of the food. We tend to buy local, grass-fed raised beef in 50-lb. batches, and I often worry that we'll lose a bunch if the power fails. Now I can add "if someone leaves the door open" to my worry list.

Judy, USMC
June 10th, 2014, 02:17 AM
Eewwwhhhh ... I bet someone is in big trouble. Sorry to hear about what happened. Guess that same someone will have to refill that freezer. But that Monkey Bread sure sounds good .....

stationarymom
June 10th, 2014, 03:05 AM
so sorry this happened. we have been in the same situation before but not because someone was neglectful but because the power went out for a week . we had to toss everything.

MayinJerset
June 10th, 2014, 03:21 AM
You have good reason to whine but glad you are making the best of it. It is a shame to toss foods but you have to be careful.

carolynrae
June 10th, 2014, 03:52 AM
A large bag of chicken breasts defrosted so I am going to make chicken enchiladas tomorrow. Thanks for listening ladies, it could have been worse. It could have been our big freezer in the garage and then you would have heard me screaming all the way from California. We have a generator in case the electricity goes out, but sometimes you just don't catch it soon enough.

Carolyn :) I'm smiling again

kensington
June 10th, 2014, 04:06 AM
That just happened to me about a month ago. Sure cleaned out the freezer! The good thing about cooking it all in one day is that you don't have to cook again for a week. Just heat and serve!

Vonnie
June 10th, 2014, 04:25 AM
We have a fridge in the garage. When our oldest boy was a young teen he was always in a hurry. He would slam the refrigerator door and the freezer door would open. Got onto him several times about it. I did get to where I would put a plastic zip loc filled with ice cubes in the fridge so I could tell if anything defrosted. If the ice cubes had melted and reformed then I knew someone was in trouble.

JCY
June 10th, 2014, 11:20 AM
I put a sign on the door of our freezer to "Please close the door tightly". One time DH didn't get the door shut tightly, but I caught it in time for no real damage to occur. JCY

irishrn
June 10th, 2014, 09:28 PM
I too had a freezer door that popped open when the fridge door was slammed. Got out the packing tape and taped the freezer Shut!
My DH and kids laughed at me but I was up cooking all night one time too many! New fridge has freezer on the bottom and doesn't seem to have the same problem!!! So sorry for your misadventure. But I highly recommend the tape shut solution!!

WendyI
June 10th, 2014, 09:32 PM
If the doors on my fridge or freezer are not shut my fridge beeps! It's quite insistent as well. STILL there are times when I find the door not quite shut. My freezer is also a drawer at the bottom of the fridge so it usually gets pushed shut with a knee and is well closed!

I'm sorry this happened to you...cooking in the heat is NOT fun!! On the other hand...where do you live? We may come by for some of those delicious sounding rolls!

Slokarma
June 11th, 2014, 12:47 AM
I remember the same thing happening when I was a young girl. I got blamed for it, but to this day, I don't think I did it. Anyways, all the neighbors shared in our misfortune. After that, mom insisted that the door be locked every time somebody got into the freezer. Key stayed on top of the freezer. I still do it with my freezer.

Andrea F
June 11th, 2014, 08:21 AM
Oh no! That's terrible! Glad you could use some of it. I had this happen several years ago when I came home from a vacation. I had to toss everything.