PDA

View Full Version : COOKS, and wannabe chefs: Anybody love sharp knives and chopping ?....

New York Sue
June 9th, 2014, 10:09 PM
Craftsy is offering a free class on knives and cutting techniques!
I can't say enough about this class! AWESOME.

I'm going to have to rethink a lot of the stuff I've been doing for years, and hopefully avoid another visit to the ER ..... ;)

I LOVE the FREEBIES! I now make pizza like a PRO! Check that one out too!

FREE!

Grandma G
June 9th, 2014, 11:37 PM
Sue - knives and cutting techniques remind me of a phone conversation I had with my youngest son several years ago when he was in culinary school at the Art Institute of Houston. He called me after his first day of cutting vegetables. The conversation went like this:

Me: Did you have a good day today?
Justin: Yeah, we learned how to cut an onion today...
Me: Oh?
Justin: ...the right way. I can show you if you'd like.
Me: That's okay. At this point in my life I don't want to change my technique and start chopping off my fingers.

Gosh, to think I haven't been doing it right all these years. He was such a klutzy kid growing up and I honestly worried about him and those knives. He graduated without as much as a nick and today amazes me with what he can do in the kitchen.

Sounds like an interesting Craftsy class.

Sylvia H
June 10th, 2014, 12:58 PM
i will be going to the Craftsy site soon to join this class. Thank you for the alert.

Hulamoon
June 10th, 2014, 03:02 PM
I have the pizza class but haven't watched all the way. I'll go check out the knife class, it sounds fun. I needed a new knife and it cost *cough* $73. I worked in Hotel kitchens for twenty years so I figured I deserved it :)

There are so many sewing patterns on Crafsty too. I didn't know that until I went through them this morning.

WendyI
June 10th, 2014, 09:46 PM
i may have to check that out...does it tell you how to buy decent knives and keep them sharp!?! Man my knives drive me bat***t!!

Kateskloset
June 10th, 2014, 09:53 PM
You are speaking my language!! I LOVE really nice kitchen knives! I love to chop onions, bell pepper, celery, just love it! I hardly ever buy frozen bags of "seasoning mix" because I would rather chop it myself. I have a few Rachel Ray "Furi" knives and a really expensive "Furi" chef knife. They are off limits to the family...they'll take them and cut wire, use them as screwdrivers!!! I go crazy!

whippetmom
June 10th, 2014, 09:59 PM
My husband bought me an expensive complete set of Gerber knives years ago, I LOVE THEM. My son also taught me that every time I use a knife, use the long hand held sharpener and sharpen them just before you put them back in the block. Since then my knives are very sharp and I never have to worry about them being dull when I need them. If you wait too long and use an electric sharpener, it is not good for the knives, I guess it takes too much off them quickly. Now, techniques of how to effectively use the knives, that I will watch.

New York Sue
June 10th, 2014, 10:17 PM
OH, chicas!
Get the class!!
He goes all into it! Especially the safety part!