PDA

View Full Version : What inspires you?

greggsewbusy
December 16th, 2009, 12:26 PM
As one who suffers from chronic depression, it is very difficult to decide on a project, and then to finish it. I find that cleaning/organizing my sewing room helps somewhat. Also, sewing with a friend works wonders. So, what inspires all of you?

Eager to hear!

greggsewbusy

quiltingtrish
December 16th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Sewing with a friend - definately! I seem to get more done than when I'm by myself. And it helps if I'm at a friend's house instead of mine, cause there is always something to get done around here that will distract me.

Also deadlines. I do procrastinate too much and hope to make that better in the New Year.

Hugs,
quilting trish

sewhot
December 17th, 2009, 12:28 AM
I actually work better on my own. Which is strange because I am a very social person. But for me to get any 'real' crafting, sewing done I tend to get more done when I am alone. Also, for me it comes in waves....sometimes I am feeling it...other times I get nothing done.

Color really inspires me. I love bold, happy, bright color. I love the challenge of putting them together to make them come to life in a quilt. That process alone inspires me.

Great question by the way.

stitchywoman
December 29th, 2009, 02:25 PM
I also seem to do better alone :) I love sewing with friends I just don't usually get much DONE :lol: The best inspiration for me is like greggsewbusy said a clean sewing room! Next comes color and need :D there's a lot of this needs to be done or I could really use one of those! I don't know if you actually call that inspiration, but it gets me sewing!

greggsewbusy
January 14th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Well, now that I have my sewing room all in order, I went and had surgery on my left hand, so I'm "stitchless" for a while. I'm still going to my quilting ladies gathering tonight, because I love to visit. :D I have my grandson's quilt "Funny Farm" to quilt and bind, so I'm getting restless!

debinmalaga
January 14th, 2010, 09:19 PM
The tutorials on this site are very inspiring to me. I have a version of your ailment, greggsewbusy, and had to swear off sewing for awhile. The MSQC site fills some of the gap :-).

If you haven't checked out the new tube quilting tutorial, you're in for a treat!

toggpine
January 15th, 2010, 04:59 AM
A couple of hours without any interruptions is what inspires me.
Sometimes it inspires me to clean the house because nobody will come behind me and mess it up as fast as I put things away. I can actually run the vacuum on those days without the fear of sucking up some wooden puzzle piece or a random toy. I found those tend to clog the vacuum hose.
Other times it is to sew. No little fingers wanting to "Help Momma? Help?" I am sure one of these fine days she will have a machine of her own, and we will make projects together. Right now, her feet can't reach the floor, so I think it is safer to sew after she is in bed. Which often means that I sew after everybody is in bed!
it is amazing what you can do when you HAVE to get a project done by a certain time. My sleep usually suffers, but the item looks great.