PDA

View Full Version : Thursday Morning !

Blondie
June 30th, 2011, 07:07 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/BSpence/sigs/funnies/wakeup.jpg

Good Morning, Ladies!

After a good nite's sleep, I am officially ready to face a new day. The sun is up just enough for me to see the birds at the feeder outside my window. The hummingbirds have sure been active this season. And don't even mention squirrels. I don't mind feeding them.I just hate that they tear up my feeders in the process.

I've tried many ways of handling them. I eventually tried my sister's remedy. Hot cayene pepper mixed in with the bird seed. Works pretty good. Doesn't affect the birdies at all but the squirrels don't like it. I have also resorted to buying the DOLLAR TREE ground pepper and pouring it on top of the "T" bar above the feeders. They get a snootful of that pepper and do the hokey pokey. I sit and say, "Yes, that's what it's all about. Now go home!" I have also used an airhorn to blast a warning if I happen to be at the computer and see him outside my window. I made the mistake of using it one day when hubs was taking an afternoon nap. If I'm not mistaken, I had to peel him off the ceiling.

Company isn't coming until next week. Whew. Gives me some extra time to fiddle around with things I should do but won't. I just tell myself it is too hot. And in the winter, it is too cold. Hmmm. I see a theme here! Perhaps I live in a fairytale world! Just wish I knew a rumplestiltskin.

Have a great day ladies.

RFREE
June 30th, 2011, 07:30 AM
Mornin Blondie and all my quilting buddies. No big plans today.I finally got the yard mowed yesterday after throwing the belt off 2 days ago trying to mow it wet. We have had so much rain I knew it was to wet but just so blamed high I couldn't resist.Anyway it looks like a hay field out there but it is done.SANDY... No brainstorming this morning.I slept out in the camper last night with the girls(DD and her Bestie as they call call it nowadays) It was comfortable last night only 58 degrees.My back and neck are killing me though.I got up at 4:30 and limped to the house. My DD absolutely loved her backdrop for her aquarium. Her best friend argued with me I didn't make it until I showed her the back of it.They were both shocked.Holly was relieved I didn't add anymore fish. She said "really mom 13 more fish in a 10 gal tank"?"I was worried". Ha ha gottcha!!!I might get in my room and mess around. Has anyone ever seen a block where you use a small block on the bottom and a large block on top?Sew them together and make a square out of the top piece that sits on top? To hard to explain. I have done it a couple times. Seen it on tv once about 5 seconds worth and thought it was cool. If I get in there today I will whip one out and let yall check it out.
Hope you guys have a wonderful day.Hugs
Rhonda

Monique
June 30th, 2011, 08:30 AM
Good morning Blondie and Rhonda,

First I would like to wish all my Canadian friends a Happy Canada Day tomorrow.

Yesterday was kind of cool so went grocery shopping. Today will be sunny and warm again. Might get some quilting in. Kids are not coming home this weekend but will be here next weekend for a surprise birthday party for my husband. Should be a good time.

Not much else happening here.

Have a great weekend everyone and stay safe.

Sandy Navas
June 30th, 2011, 10:18 AM
A quick good morning to everyone!! I'm just trying to get the image of Blondie peeling Larry off the ceiling out of my mind. And Rhonda, you remind me of my daughter when she and her friends camped out one time. They made a tent from blankets and sheets on our patio. Thing was our property bordered a dairy farm and the cows got out. One stuck her head in the opening to the tent and moo'd every loudly. Needless to say, we had girls on the floor in the living room for the rest of the night. We still laugh about that.

I had Zoe here while everyone else went to the swim meet last night. She and I made chocolate chip cookies and I wish I could share with you. It was great watching a 2YO wondering what every ingredient was, seeing her pick out chocolate chips, mixing (and splattering flour everywhere). I patted the dough out and gave her a biscuit cutter and then grabbed my camera. What a show. And the cookies were fantastic. Saved a few for everyone!

Heading out to do a DGD run this morning while Mom takes the bigger girls to swim practice, Papa is helping with Red Cross efforts and making sandwiches for volunteers who are heaving sand bags. This flooding is something I am having difficulty accepting/understanding . . . my heart breaks for people who have gone through such devastation from any source!

Gearing up for a busy weekend, too!

Prayers to everyone who needs them. Oh, before I forget, I did hear from Jan! She and her DH are switching computers around and it will be a bit before she's back on line. She did share that Emily's blood work was great - so that's the best news. Also Gina is doing well and hopefully on the right track. We all miss her here!!

HUGS!

debinmalaga
June 30th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Morning all! Blondie, my squirrels are so completely out of control that they've developed a taste for cayenne pepper, and discovered that hummingbird food is yummy. If they just drank the food occasionally, and left some for the hummingbirds, I wouldn't mind... but in typical squirrel fashion they manage to drain all 32 ounces in less than a day, take the feeder down, and take it apart. I go on the deck armed with iced tea and my kindle to enjoy hummingbird time, and the poor things keep coming back, checking and hovering where the feeder used to hang - I kid you not.

My mother tells me to slather my feeder hanger with vaseline - says they hate it on their paws. I'm seriously considering it - this is my first summer in 16 years where the squirrels put an end to hummingbird feeding :(.

Still on vaca here, got the top done on a QFK quilt yesterday. Today I have my yearly appointment with the GYN... tomorrow is Mammogram day. Do I know how to pack the fun into a vacation or what??

Hope everyone has a Terrific Thursday.

quiltingtrish
June 30th, 2011, 01:22 PM
Happy Thursday everyone!
Yup - imagining LL on the ceiling! That gave me a good chuckle and DH wanted to know what I was laughing about.
Sorry Rhonda - do not know what block you are talking about, but am intrigued to see one.
Sandy - too funny about the cow! Can't stop chuckling about that!

Had a nice brunch with Katie and the other mom today. We all talked, laughed, hugged, etc. Still told her again that we want her back - still not ready yet, I guess. Still wondering why. Going to meet up again in July. I just really miss the crap out of her and she knows it.

Off to Dad's today. It's a beautiful day out there so I will be mowing and if my arms hold out, perhaps I'll wash windows and curtains there too.
Got my order from MSQC today - beautiful fabrics, a dresden template, and some crushed walnut shells. Now I can start on some pincushions soon.
Well, better get moving. Times-a wastin'!
I hope you all have a grand day!
Hugs,

patticakes
June 30th, 2011, 01:29 PM
Morning (checking clock), yes still morning!
I was up at 3:30 am, just could not sleep. Did nod out around 5:30 while watching the news but feeling like its gonna be a long day. Good news is that I got the Surfer Girl #1 all FMQ'd! I am just awful at it but it looks cute. Tried to do lots of loop de loops and found that I was getting better towards the end. Cut the binding while I was up with the birds and about to sew the pieces together and machine stitch it on. Tonight I can hand stitch it while watching tv plus make a label. I bought two terry hand towels with tropical flowers on them and will stitch up a couple quick pillows. I also bought some red, white and blue knee socks on discount and want to make a sock monkey. This afternoon I have to run out because I promised to bring the birthday girl a pinata. She called me this morning to ask if I had done that yet...lol...gotta love her.
Can I get all this done by Saturday morning? I guess I can always stitch the binding in the car as it's a 5 hour drive up there!
Well no more dilly dally-ing on this contraption! Hope everyone has a great day!

toggpine
June 30th, 2011, 02:03 PM
Deb, I don't think I want that kind of a vacation! Although it does feel good to get all of those kinds of things out of the way.
As for the squirrels, I'd loan you our cat, but you are kind of far away, and I don't think she'd got through the mail very well. I opened the door yesterday to see a squirrel tail in the front step. Nothing else, just the tail. Mmmm! Pine squirrel snacks! I have seen the bell things that are supposed to smeared with vaseline to keep ants and earwigs out of the hummingbird feeders, but I didn't know that about the squirrels and their paws. I wonder if you could steep a habanero pepper (or 5) in warmed/melted vaseline before spreading it on the hanger. I have made some liniments for the animals that way and the vaseline holds the herbal properties. They would try to lick it off and get hit with a mouthful of fire. (I'd highly recommend wearing gloves when handling the peppers and the resulting emollient.) Good luck on thwarting the buggers!
Oh Sandy! A cow in the tent! That is a life memory for sure. You are such a good Grandma! The kids will have such great memories of you and Al. I remember all of the fun stuff I did during the summers I spent with my grandparents. That is where I learned to make biscuits and gravy, and run a printing press, and drive, and cross stitch, and... well you get the picture.
Thanks for the update on Jan & Gina! Was worried a bit about them.
Rhonda, it sounds like your aquarium project worked out well! Look forward seeing the block on block thing.
Happy Canada Day (tomorrow) to you and our other Canadian friends Monique! Happy quilting today!
Blondie, Glad you got a good night's sleep! Now you can tackle those dreaded house chores! I always feel better after they are done. I'd much rather be sewing than cleaning, but sometimes you just gotta.

We have a pretty low-key day planned here too. A trip to the library, perhaps a stop at the park to burn off some 5 year-old energy, farm chores and then the dreaded "what to have for dinner" thing.
I hope you all have a great day!
Cathy

sewmuchjan
June 30th, 2011, 05:38 PM
Hello all!!! I now have Thursdays off!!! YEAH Thurs-Sunday Yeah!!!!!!!!! I am sooo happy to have more time at home and all. I just love this place and hearing all that you all are doing and the funny things that happen in our lives makes me smile and chuckle!!! :) :)

Everyone have a great day and God Bless Jan L and Gina.
Hugs
Jan G

Mimis-quilts
June 30th, 2011, 08:49 PM
Good evening everyone! Finished up a couple of lap quilts today, will post pictures later. Got my order from MSQC today too...material and the large tumbler template. Got a not so good phone call from my son today...the rumor is true, his National Guard unit from Jacksonville Florida is being deployed...will be in Texas at Ft Hood for 2 months and then 10 months overseas...my heart dropped to my stomach when he told me, but on the other hand I am so very proud of him. He has been in the guard since he was 19 and is now 31 and this is his first (and hopefully last) deployment out of the U.S. He will definitely miss his 2 girls...his wife and daughter. So now I have the push to get the Patriotic Star quilt done that I am going to make from the Patriotic Star Block Swap. I plan to give it to him before he actually deploys from Texas. Just waiting on everyone to get their blocks done-which should be mid-July.
Tomorrow after DH gets off of work we are taking out boat out and spending the night on the lake...looking forward to the quiet time on the lake and the quality time with the hubs. Sunday we are going to Indianapolis to my stepsons home for his daughter's birthday-she turns 2 on the 2nd. Hopefully Monday we will be able to spend another day on the lake.
Hope everyone has a good evening.

quiltingtrish
July 1st, 2011, 01:59 AM
Hey Pat - you let us know his address when he gets over there and I'm sure alot of us will send him a card and put him in our prayers!

Hugs,

Sandy Navas
July 1st, 2011, 11:09 AM
Hey Pat - you let us know his address when he gets over there and I'm sure alot of us will send him a card and put him in our prayers!

Hugs,

I'll second that motion!