PDA

View Full Version : Sunday 6/8

toggpine
June 8th, 2014, 12:21 PM
Good Morning!

We had a long trip yesterday, and my daughter brought home a new goat, actually two. We went up for a new buckling for fall breeding and the breeder had a pen full of doe kids... well you know. My budget for the shop hop in two weeks is gone.
We had a lovely visit with our friends even though it was nearly 8 hours on the road.

Today, I am dragging my son over to my sister's place so he can do some yard work for her. I think i get to babysit the grandson while he works. I'll bring the bubbles and we'll go from there. My sister does not have children, so this could be interesting.

I hope you all have a wonderful Sunday and make sure that you are the reason somebody smiles today!
Cathy

MayinJerset
June 8th, 2014, 01:22 PM
Really slow going this morning. Had things planned to do but DH wants to take a ride somewhere as it is a beautiful sunny day and who am I to say NO! I need grey background fabric for DGD's quilt so I'll find a quilt shop or Joann's as our destination and later we'll stop for a late lunch or early dinner. No housework or cooking dinner today and that's A Good Thing.

Disappointed that plans to meet Andrea and her sister feel through as they had to cut their trip short and are going back to Germany today. Glad that they did get to visit NY City a bit and hopefully they will be back some time in the future.

bubba
June 8th, 2014, 01:45 PM
I have to ask what you do with all these goats. Do you milk them? Do you show them? Do you raise and sell them? Do you EAT them???? How many goats do you have? I may have to go on a field trip to the Key Peninsula. What kind of noise do they make so I know what to listen for??

Sandy Navas
June 8th, 2014, 03:04 PM
Pat, Cathy's goats make a very similar noise to that of a monkey . . .

I know, My Bad!

toggpine
June 9th, 2014, 03:56 AM
OK. The skinny on the goats thing.
(Short Version) Mom said "No" to a rabbit. I got sheep. I ended up with bummer lambs. I got a milk goat to feed them. I found that I liked showing the goats better than the sheep. I got goats. (Milk, meat, fiber, pygmy, I've had them all over the years.) I got rabbits. I got rid of the rabbits. The sheep slowly phased out. The milk goats stayed.
We have milked them, eaten them, & used their fiber. I used to show extensively. At some point I lost my drive to show as the hobby became more political and less fun. It became expensive to go as well. Gas & entry fees aren't cheap.
Now that my daughter is of the 4-H age, we may begin showing once more. Thus I need to become a bit more serious about my genetic selection. I've had my share of champions and even a Reserve Grand Champion at the national show, so I know we can do it. I just have to want to.
We currently are under 20 goats on the farm, ranging from this year's kids to the old lady who's 13 and semi-retired (don't tell her!) I do sell some of the goats we raise for milk, meat, or pets. (We have a neutered male who was trained to be a pack animal, but he's out of the habit now, since we don't hike much anymore.) We rotate milking about 4 of the does per year. Since we aren't showing they don't all have to be fresh at once, so we give them a year off here & there. Pretty much the girls around here make milk for the house. We enjoy fresh cheese, and anything else you would use any other kind of milk for from the goat's milk.

There is one rule in my "dairy parlor". NO FUNKY FLAVORS!!!!

I know some of you like the more strongly flavored goat cheeses, but I can't stand them. If you come to my house and ask for a glass of milk, my goal is for you to have a hard time telling that it's not whole cow milk. Actually, you probably wouldn't be served any. We drink it raw, and I'm not allowing any of that to be dispensed without a dairy license. Sorry.
I suppose I could pasteurize a batch if I knew you were coming....

You (any of you) are welcome to get in touch with me if you are going to be in the area, and come out to visit. Give me a day or so warning to clean up the sewing room though OK?

That's 25+ years in a nutshell. Is that enough about the girls and what they do here? (Ok, we have a few boys too, but they do the same thing most males do, and we all know it's NOT the dishes!)