PDA

View Full Version : In need of some motivation!

WendyI
June 7th, 2014, 11:14 PM
I stared quilting my sisters quilt. I am doing a vine and leaves pattern in the sashing but did a kind of stylized heart in the cornerstones and I don't like them! :( And I can't even imagine trying to frog that! So I kept going but I still didn't like them...then I stopped. I had to go back to work two weeks ago...and have not touched it since then. Mini-poose has been sleeping on it and it's getting covered in hair, and then summer is here and I am so much more busy in summer with my yard and such....but her wedding is next month! I HAVE to get this done!!

Can someone kick my backside!?!

ilive2craft2
June 7th, 2014, 11:35 PM
Here is a gentle push to get back at it. I am sure that you are looking at your quilting too closely. Once it is washed some of the oops quilting, just disappears. I haven't been sewing as much either.

DeniseSm
June 7th, 2014, 11:52 PM
No frogging. Put down the seam ripper. Take a picture of the heart cornerstone motif next to the vine and leaf motif. I bet we can come up with some ideas to modify the heart motif so you will like it again.

cyndiofthevortex
June 7th, 2014, 11:56 PM
When I feel like you do I decide to quilt just a certain amount of time each day, usually an hour. But then once I get into my sewing room and start to quilt I usually keep at it longer that just that one hour. I also recommend that you don't rip it out! In my book there is nothing worse than ripping out quilting stitches. They are embedded in that fabric sandwich and they do NOT want to come out!

You can finish this quilt and you'll be so thankful you did. I'm sure it will look very pretty once it's all quilted and washed nice and fluffy, like Lisa says. Now get to that sewing machine and work on that quilt!

SallyO'Sews
June 8th, 2014, 12:26 AM
You can do this, Wendy! Just keep thinking about your sister and how much you love her and want to get this quilt done for her!

goofyizzy
June 8th, 2014, 05:07 AM
How about if you post your progress a couple of times a week? Show some pics of where you're at then check back in in a few days.

Hulamoon
June 8th, 2014, 05:32 AM
yea post a progress picture so we can tell you how great your doing:)

Monique
June 8th, 2014, 08:56 AM
Wendy, kicking your butt. You can do and I would like to see it if we get to meet in 3 weeks.

Sandy Navas
June 8th, 2014, 09:49 AM

Not kicking, but pushing you forward.

YOU CAN DO THIS!

WendyI
June 8th, 2014, 12:58 PM
No frogging. Put down the seam ripper. Take a picture of the heart cornerstone motif next to the vine and leaf motif. I bet we can come up with some ideas to modify the heart motif so you will like it again.

Ok...so here is the very first one I did...awful...doesn't even fill the corner stone...

So...I thought well it's not great but I guess I'll keep going...and it just goes from bad to worse!!

So now you can see why I want to rip them out. :( They're awful!

sewlucky
June 8th, 2014, 01:25 PM
I nthink they're not too bad! Without seeing the overall quilt I think they will blend in fine. How much bigger were you thinking you wanted them?

Regarding the frogging, if you really are only unhappy with those two blocks, I say go for it...since I just did most of a queen size top I'm thinking that looks easy to rip back just leave long tails and knot and bury. I think your sashing fmq looks great!! If the cornerstones feel awkward you could just leave them with the straight stitches as the color draws the eye as much as the quilting. The quilting white on white on the sashing makes it special, but letting the color and design of the piecing do the work with the cornerstones is ok too! (I'm not an expert though, just a fan :))

Terri

WendyI
June 8th, 2014, 04:51 PM
I wish I had left the corner stones alone now...but I've done two rows of them! :( I think I might try frogging them out and just see how difficult it is. I used soap to draw them on the other corner stones so they will likely turn out better...but I don't know.

And I don't know what I wanted to do in there. I actually thought of just making it a squirly mess! LOL! The worst part is the backing is totally plain and has NO pattern so you REALLY see the quilting! I won't make THAT mistake again. I wish I'd gone with a white backing instead of the light blue I chose. Oh well....it's done now and I can't start over! LOL!

Midge
June 8th, 2014, 05:10 PM
Wendy, don't forget we are our own worst critic. If you really don't like how your hearts are turning out why not follow Cyndi's advice and quilt the cornerstones in a different pattern. You could do a stylized flower, a meander, echo a square. There are so many things that would look nice. The eye will be drawn to the inner pattern of the quilt, so don't beat yourself up over the cornerstones. We know you can do this!

mommadeb
June 8th, 2014, 05:45 PM
Here is your kick...

WendyI
June 8th, 2014, 11:02 PM
Wendy, don't forget we are our own worst critic. If you really don't like how your hearts are turning out why not follow Cyndi's advice and quilt the cornerstones in a different pattern. You could do a stylized flower, a meander, echo a square. There are so many things that would look nice. The eye will be drawn to the inner pattern of the quilt, so don't beat yourself up over the cornerstones. We know you can do this!

I should have taken a pic of the entire quilt. I have done two rows of cornerstones and also that now forces the quilt to be possibly directional where it was not before. I dunno....will have to look at it again tomorrow. I really must gwr a move on!! LOL!