PDA

View Full Version : Bikes in the Netherlands

rebeccas-sewing
June 6th, 2014, 10:37 AM
I think the computer/electronic craze must reach all parts of our world. Today, Joe and I were driving out of Baarn to pick up my daughter at the airport. Driving along we passed three high school students obviously riding their bikes to school. The first rider (a boy) was on a cell phone call, the second (a girl) was texting, the final rider also a girl was, ai yi yi, READING A BOOK!!!! The only consolation is they might kill themselves but most likely wouldn't kill an innocent person who might happen to get tangled up with them. All I could think was "If only your parents could see what you're doing."

EmmaB
June 6th, 2014, 11:05 AM
That is certainly an accident waiting to happen. Sheesh!

bubba
June 6th, 2014, 11:07 AM
I was watching House Hunters last night and it was filmed in the Netherlands. I was amazed to see the majority of riders don't even bother to wear helmets!! Looked like a beautiful place to live though.

rebeccas-sewing
June 6th, 2014, 11:38 AM
Nope! Very rarely does one see helmets. Those riding racing bikes typically where helmets, but just every day riders...nope. I have seen some children wearing helmets. What's really crazy is seeing a parent riding down the street with a little one on the seat in front of the handlebars and a little one behind the mom. No helmets on any of them.

JCY
June 6th, 2014, 11:54 AM
I visited the Netherlands in 1990 when my son, who was in the Air Force at the time, married a Dutch gal from Spakenburg. It was a beautiful, very traditional, all day wedding event. While there, I found it interesting to see older women who still wear the traditional costume, riding their bikes down the bike paths all over town. I don't recall seeing a helmet on anyone. Yes, Holland is a beautiful country. I really enjoyed my 2 wk. visit there. I especially liked browsing & shopping at the open air markets in the town centers. JCY