PDA

View Full Version : HUMP DAY ! - Wednesday 6/29/11

Sandy Navas
June 29th, 2011, 10:09 AM
Where, or where is this year going? I have heard all my life that time passes faster as you age. I just wish I wasn't this old! I do remember when I was a child that I could hardly wait for summer to d--r--a--g-- by so I could go back to school. Don't get me wrong, I loved my time off, but I loved being in school a bit more. In fact, because I raised such a fit when my brother went to school, the teacher and Mom and Dad concurred I was ready at 4 years of age and I started walking to our little one-roomed schoolhouse with the big kids. I did love school.

I am having one of those decision making crises today. I'm torn between what I want to do (go back to bed and nap, if I am honest), to what really needs to be done (a quick clean up in the kitchen, dining room, and living room), to what Al wants done (make him some biscotti), to what I should be doing (outside pulling weeds and cleaning around the pool area), to what I would rather have energy to be doing (sewing my #$@#%$^% BOM block). So, if I sit here for a while goofing off you will all understand.

And, to explain my profanity - I never want to see another quilt block with more than 12 pieces!!!!!!!!!! The current BOM has 36!!! It is driving me NUTS.

I hope everyone is doing GREAT today. I'm sending hugs.

toggpine
June 29th, 2011, 10:38 AM
Sandy, I'd love to vote for the going back to bed option. Alack and alas, it is not to be here either.
Sorry about your bajillion bit block. They turn out so pretty in the end. I have found that if you lay it out to look like the finished block and then pick up the pieces that need to be sewn together from there and return them to the pattern once they are pressed it helps. If it is really confusing write in the seam allowance (very lightly) with a mechanical pencil so you can match pieces. A to A, B to B, etc. Of course if this is applique you can throw that advice right out the window! I suppose you could assemble the block and then flip it over and work from the base to the top. In any case, good luck!

Today is another overcast day. Still humid as all get out! Ugh! Em & I will be going some painting today. I picked up some $1 bird houses from J's yesterday. I'll rollout the vinyl table cloth and she can go to it! I am working on a simple baby quilt for grandson. Why when you buy the same amount of fabric at the same time, are they not the same when you get ready to put them together? The print I'm using for the backing is about 2 inches shorter than the large repeating print for the front. To top it off the girl that cut the top print didn't follow the pattern, but just whacked through the printed blocks. It does not pay to be distracted by someone saying "Mom, Mom, Mom" whilst having your fabric cut! Grrrr! Now for some creative stash diving to find a coordinating print to make the back big enough to cover. That nap is sounding better and better!

I'll go check on the ladies and the babies in the barn and then try again!
Take care and have a good day! Cathy

Loonwatcher
June 29th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Sandy, I find blocks with lots of pieces challenging too. My guild has a BOM where you only do 1 or 2 blocks. Then at the meeting there is a drawing to see who gets all the blocks. That's the only way I'll get a whole quilt with busy blocks like that.

Only 3 more work days until vacation! YAY! Needless to say I'm swamped with all those pre-going-away chores, both at home and at work. Throw into the mix that at work (construction company) we just started 6 new jobs (which means tons of start up paperwork); it's the end of the quarter (so extra payroll junk to do) and last weekend my car fried all the wires in the steering column. Our 24-hour roadside assistant program didn't answer the phone. Had to have our son drive up to camp to get us (almost 2 hrs. one way), abandon the car there and make phone calls on Monday. After towing, repair and $350, the car is ready so now I have to go to Burlington tonight (about 1 hr. each way) to pick it up. BOY DO I NEED A VACATION OR WHAT!!!!!

We are going to our camp where there is not internet service so you probably won't hear much from me next week. I've made an appointment at the LAQ shop to quilt up another lap quilt for Xmas. The top is done but I still have to piece together a back; then I'll be ready for the appointment next Wednesday. Can't sew this weekend through because we have friends coming. That's okay, we haven't seen them since February - long overdue. And it's the big Independence Day weekend with boat races, boat parades, BBQ's and a grand fireworks display over the lake. Pray for nice weather!!!

As of last weekend, my tiny veggie garden at camp was doing great. I only planted one tomato plant, onions and potatoes. Had two tomato plants but a fallen branch took one out during a storm. The beans weren't very tasty last year and I'm too lazy to put them up anyway.

Have a great day! Hugs,

Lisaau
June 29th, 2011, 10:59 AM
wow sandy 36 pieces can ya take a pic of it ...holy moly ....!!!..I woke this morning my time with a sore thoart near my left ear and as the day progressed it migrated to the middle of my thoart and its a doozy excruciating pain sigh!!! dont ya love winter ...ooh and l vote go back to bed

debinmalaga
June 29th, 2011, 11:36 AM
Sandy, I wanna see that block! I vote for the nap - I'm on vaca, and I got up at 8, and then snoozed in the recliner with the news and Spike (my pug) till 9:30. It was awesome!

patticakes
June 29th, 2011, 02:22 PM
Aw Sandy you can sleep when you're dead....I vote for quilting! Just what I am doing, trying to get the Surfer Girl #1 done before Saturday.
BF just invited guests for dinner but they will just have to put up with however things are because I am determined to quilt. I did throw some cherry pie filling into a grocery-store graham cracker crust to show some enthusiasm that I don't really feel! LOL
Well...off to attempt some more FMQ that doesn't looks awful!

meemeecyn
June 29th, 2011, 02:25 PM
Happy Hump Day Ladies. You are a women of many talents, Sandy! You go, "Girl'! Sorry to hear about the car problems, Nancy. That means you get to spend more time sewing as compensation. Have a great vacation! You, too, Deb!

SuzyQue
June 29th, 2011, 03:42 PM
Sandy, honey, send me the block. The more pieces the better! What is the finished size? 36 isn't so bad........my first quilt block EVER had like 77 or 79 and flying geese.....and I had never pieced. I love those complicated blocks! I know you can do it, though......one little 1/4 inch seam at a time. You will be so proud and happy when you do it yourself! You are a super grandma......you can do anything! But.....keep that pool clean; we will needing it this week!
Togpine---sorry about the short cut on the fabric, but consider it a challenge to more quilt piecing. Hope you have fabric that will work in your stash. The birdhouse project will be sweet!
Nancy---sorry about the car;they never seem to break down when it is close or convenient. Enjoy your vacation at the lake.
Lisa---hope you feel better soon. Hard to think of you in winter when it will be 110 here tomorrow!
Patti----gotta love those instant pie crusts and filling! Used some myself for lunch!
Very hot and humid and forecast of more for the next week. Pool here we come! Made hubby big lunch....he is combining wheat this week in this weather! Will make cookies (have to fill that jar!) and then off to sew more shirts.....really what was I thinking cutting out 7 at one time! Sheesh!
Everyone stay cool and comfortable and safe!

sewsoft
June 29th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Wow 36 pieces that's to much like a big puzzle. That sounds to hard for a quilt block.

bakermom
June 29th, 2011, 06:45 PM
My big accomplishment today was "fixing" DD's sewing machine so she could make more baby stuff. not sure what I did but her machine was buzzing along happily when i left! fixing quick supper so i can help with the 4H sewing clinic tonight. Straight to work from there so I won't be talking to you all till i get home tomorrow morning.

Sandy Navas
June 29th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Sandy, honey, send me the block. The more pieces the better! What is the finished size? 36 isn't so bad........my first quilt block EVER had like 77 or 79 and flying geese.....and I had never pieced. I love those complicated blocks! I know you can do it, though......one little 1/4 inch seam at a time.

What is just as frustrating as that block? I've got Zoe (2) here and just finished typing a response and she erased it quickly!!!! She knows how to turn off the TV and hit the delete key on the computer all at the same time.

I'll write after I get her down for a nap.

Susan M
June 29th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Gotta love those little ones! My grandson [age 2] deleted a video of his sister getting an award and as he handed it to my daughter, proudly said "it's all gone!" My daughter was beside herself with disbelief. Ok I vote everyone takes a nap and we will all feel better later!!

Blondie
June 29th, 2011, 09:31 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/BSpence/672a4677.jpg

Hi Ladies
I didn't have time this morning to get in - had the eye doctor appt for Mom at 6:30!! It is usually at 7:30 but oh well, we still didn't get back from the city until close to noon. Now it appears as if Mom may be getting a reaction to the treatment or the drops. Will know tomorrow. If it isn't one thing, it's another. She is such a trooper and I am worse than any mother hen about her.

When we got home, I got her resting on the sofa at my house for a bit while Sis and I went down to the basement to watch the trial and stitch. We migrated back upstairs because I could hear Mom trying to clean my flipping kitchen ! The woman doesn't know how to rest! Sooo, we dragged our stitching back up the stairs, put the trial on, explained the whole case to Moms and guess what? I finished the second of the sisters quilt! I washed it on gentle, threw it in the dryer and voila! Ready to go. I love how quilts crinkle up under the hand stitching. So comfy to me. Here is a pic:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/BSpence/Quilts%20and%20sewing/sisters2.jpg

Sandy, you should have been sewing with me today. Big hugs!

Nite everyone. Tomorrow is work day; I will try to get in before then. I just was a whirlawind this morning trying to get myself ready and out the door at dark thirty!