PDA

View Full Version : Thank the vets of 70 years ago

Wrenmuzz
June 5th, 2014, 04:21 PM
Hi, I've been to see my 91yr old Dad today (as I do every day) and he is getting more and more emotional as 6th June gets closer, the 70th anniversary of D Day. The veterans are getting fewer and fewer so this post is just to say, give your Dad, Grandad extra time and care, their memories will probably make them emotional. I know my Dad is both immensely proud of taking part but at the same time immensely sad when he thinks of those who perished. He told me yesterday that he remembers watching the airborne going in, all the parachutes, he said it reminded him of the way a flock of swallows would fly across the sky. Next second he was in tears thinking of the deaths and that he had survived. God Bless them.

bubba
June 5th, 2014, 04:38 PM
I wish I could, but he died ten years ago. Remember the movie 'Memphis Belle'? He flew in those planes and was involved in the awful mission in Germany. If 100 planes went in, they were lucky if any came back. I can remember watching that movie with him and the memories it brought back to him.....so emotional. So yes, if you can, hug your dad!

Wrenmuzz
June 5th, 2014, 04:56 PM
Bubba, sorry your Dad isn't here to hug, I realise how lucky I am to still have mine.

Grandma G
June 5th, 2014, 05:18 PM
If you want to see a moving story about D-Day go to the Today Show website. I saw this story this morning and I had to reach for tissues. Tom Brokaw interviews a WWII veteran on Omaha Beach where he has brought many family members. The story is about 4 1/2 minutes long and I urge you to watch it. I think everyone should watch it.

Wrenmuzz
June 5th, 2014, 05:40 PM
These interviews should be shown in every school everywhere.

Sandy Navas
June 5th, 2014, 06:10 PM
Chocking me up for sure. No one knows the horrors these folks endured for our freedoms. It is so sad that it isn't appreciated by everyone world wide. God Bless your Dad for his service and his memories.

SallyO'Sews
June 6th, 2014, 11:56 AM
Thanks for posting this! I will definitely check out the Brokaw interview. Have you ever read his books on the Greatest Generation? Wonderful stuff.

My dad was in WWII towards the end of the Battle of the Bulge. He never spoke of his experiences in the war until the 1990's (a half-century after it happened) when my DS#1 asked him for an interview for a school project. Dad told Matt that the day before his paratrooper group (platoon? Not up on military lingo) was planning to jump, the Axis propaganda radio said, "Hey, all you American GI's, don't bother to wear your parachutes tomorrow: there's going to be so much flak in the air, you'll be able to walk down!" Dad continued, they were right; of 55 men who jumped out of the planes, only 11 made it safely to the ground, my dad among them. The parachutes of the rest were shredded by all the metal shards in the air from the German planes.

Ginny B
June 6th, 2014, 09:32 PM
My dad fought in WWII and it was an odd experience for him to be fighting in Germany since he was born in Germany. He came to the U.S. when he was 8 years old a few years after WWI. I remember him always telling us about exactly where he was on Pearl Harbor Day and how he felt. He didn't talk too much about actually being in Europe during the war. He never went back to Normandy or anywhere in Europe for that matter. He made sure we knew what June 6th meant. He has been gone a very long time now and I miss every day but even more on days like this when I think about what he and all those other brave soldiers, sailors, airman and marines did for us and the rest of the world.

I am watching a special on NBC right now.

Always remember.

BellasQuilts
June 7th, 2014, 12:09 AM
Thank you for sharing your fathers' stories. I am in awe of what they did for the world to remain free.

IBake
June 7th, 2014, 01:06 AM
My daddy fought under Patton. When we lived in germany, we went and saw Patton's grave and daddy saluted it. He said he was the meanest SOB that there ever was , but the best leader there ever was. My dad fought in the 4 major campaigns in Europe. He told of being sick with his appendices, laying under his truck with a boddy. There sere stuck because of the pouring rain,,,it went on for 3 days. Dad would throw up and his buddy would cover up the vomit and try to move dad to a dry area. They finally got dad air-evacuated to France where he had surgery in one of the first underground hospital. He needed a catheter and there was no one around to do it one of the first because they were so busy ....so daddy did it himself.....TNI I know. Daddy didn'[t talk about the war. It was only during the last year of his life that he shared some things. Mom said that he had night mares for over 10 years after he got out.

Daddy died in 2007...the only thing he asked was if Colllin (our oldest Navy son, professional trumpeter) would play taps at his funeral. "Sure, Busba). So on Nov.11, 2007, Collin stood in his dress blues, and played his heart out for the most import persons next to his parents, in his life. He fussed at me that he hadn't held one note long enough, and there was a note of pure sadness at the end. Daddy was buried at Ft. Snelling

IBake
June 7th, 2014, 02:05 AM
My daddy fought under Patton. When we lived in germany, we went and saw Patton's grave and daddy saluted it. He said he was the meanest SOB that there ever was , but the best leader there ever was. My dad fought in the 4 major campaigns in Europe. He told of being sick with his appendices, laying under his truck with a boddy. There sere stuck because of the pouring rain,,,it went on for 3 days. Dad would throw up and his buddy would cover up the vomit and try to move dad to a dry area. They finally got dad air-evacuated to France where he had surgery in the first underground hospitals. He needed a catheter and there was no one around to do it because they were so busy ....so daddy did it himself.....TMI I know. Daddy didn'[t talk about the war. It was only during the last year of his life that he shared some things. Mom said that he had night mares for over 10 years after he go out..

Daddy died in 2007...the only thing he asked was if Collin (our oldest Navy son, professional trumpeter) would play taps at his funeral. "Sure, Busba). So on Nov.11, 2007, Collin stood in his dress blues, and played his heart out for the most important person next to his parents, in his life. He fussed at me that he hadn't held one note long enough, and there was a note of pure sadness at the end. I told him that Busba was so thankful that he had played for him..