PDA

View Full Version : Need weather/travel advice-we are coming to Kansas/Missouri/Iowa in 2 weeks

Familyjournals
June 4th, 2014, 11:22 AM
We are coming to Kansas/Missouri/Iowa and Illinois in a couple of weeks. I'm seeing all kinds of weather troubles out that way. Is this usually a bad time of year to come or is it just this year? Should we postpone it for another time? Need advice from this great group.

auntiemern
June 4th, 2014, 11:37 AM
This time of year the weather can be unpredictable. The heat and humidity can cause pop up thunderstorms at any time. I think for the most part the weather is perfectly suitable in these states. Come on out, we would be happy to have you.

Sandy Navas
June 4th, 2014, 12:29 PM
You know, there are always things that can happen - I know someone who fell out of bed and broke their foot in several places. Me - I guess I live by the rule that when my maker wants me I'll be ready. I can't hold back from doing fun stuff because something may just happen . . . of course its difficult living with a guy who is up off and on all night checking weather reports.

Pack your bags, Debbie, and have fun. There are weather apps available, and there are safe places all over!!

Simply Quilting
June 4th, 2014, 01:14 PM
Come on out. There can be storms that pop up. But last night was a good example of how varied it can be. The first storm missed us completely, while the second just gave us some rain and nondamaging wind, the third we just had rain. In the midwest, weather can vary alot. For those of us in the midwest, we know that storms are just a part of life and deal accordingly. Usually look at the weather forecast and keep on the radio when there is a chance of sever weather.

Jean Sewing Machine
June 4th, 2014, 01:18 PM
They say if you don't like the weather here, just wait a minute! Prepare for hot and sunny, but throw in a jacket, umbrella and maybe a pair of jeans. That should cover your wardrobe needs for a few days!

Familyjournals
June 4th, 2014, 01:39 PM
You know, there are always things that can happen - I know someone who fell out of bed and broke their foot in several places. Me - I guess I live by the rule that when my maker wants me I'll be ready. I can't hold back from doing fun stuff because something may just happen . . . of course its difficult living with a guy who is up off and on all night checking weather reports.

Pack your bags, Debbie, and have fun. There are weather apps available, and there are safe places all over!!

Wonderful!!! We have booked most of the hotels! We've been in the Kansas City, Springfield, Branson areas before and are anxious to start this trip. I'm not a very nervous person about what will happen, I volunteered to work right on the main stage at the Olympics in 2002. I checked everyone off (including President Bush) before they went out onto the main staging area. It was great. My brother-in-law (Mr. doom and gloom) told me I was going straight into a bulls-eye from terrorists since this was right after the horrible events of Sept 11 2001. I told him that if that was how I was going to go out of this world everyone would remember how Nana checked out! No worries.

Familyjournals
June 4th, 2014, 01:40 PM
They say if you don't like the weather here, just wait a minute! Prepare for hot and sunny, but throw in a jacket, umbrella and maybe a pair of jeans. That should cover your wardrobe needs for a few days!

Great! Thanks Jean. That is how Utah's weather is too. Can't wait. I appreciate the wardrobe advice. EXCITED!!!!

Jean Sewing Machine
June 4th, 2014, 03:07 PM
Are you going to Hamilton? St. Louis? We could have a welcoming committee waiting for you, just let us know when and where!

Familyjournals
June 4th, 2014, 05:45 PM
Are you going to Hamilton? St. Louis? We could have a welcoming committee waiting for you, just let us know when and where!

YES! We are going to Hamilton. It is the *STAR* destination. I have genealogy research to do from Kansas to Illinois and we are taking a detour to go to Hamilton and Branson. Hey we are retired....let's just go get tired! I would absolutely LOVE to see you. June 27th and 28th. Here we come. We are staying in Kansas City at a Marriott because one of our many children works for Marriott and we get a screaming deal. Let me know where, and I will have my private driver safely deliver me there.

****Private driver is inquiring if there is a golf course near by.....got to keep him happy :icon_tup:
A son and his wife are house and dog sitting.....can't be gone to long....this boy (6'5) can eat us out of house and home. I'll just have to restock the freezer when we return.