PDA

View Full Version : Damage Control

Sandy Navas
June 4th, 2014, 10:23 AM

Anyone need some firewood?

QuiltingRN
June 4th, 2014, 10:26 AM
Oh no! Hope no one was hurt! Is the deck damaged too?

MayinJerset
June 4th, 2014, 10:26 AM
WOW That's a lot of damage. Hopefully no one was hurt. Is the bad weather continuing today?

Swedish leo
June 4th, 2014, 10:29 AM
Ouch!

That must have been some wind!

Hope no one was hurt!

Vonnie
June 4th, 2014, 10:34 AM
Yikes! Also hope no one was hurt.

We had tree damage a few years back during an ice storm. A tree almost came through the window where I was sitting. Luckily the fireplace stuck out enough that it angled it just enough that it did not break the window. I jumped out of that chair so fast! DH had to borrow a chain saw so he could clear a path for the dog to go out to do his business.

Jean Sewing Machine
June 4th, 2014, 10:35 AM
Oh my gosh! Your poor deck furniture! You really had some fierce wind!

asta
June 4th, 2014, 10:38 AM
Yikes! Hope no one was hurt and damage is minor. Wish we were close, yes we could use firewood and my DH loves cutting up trees, that is why we had no trees left at our old home and he keeps trimming these at this new place.

Claire Hallman
June 4th, 2014, 10:39 AM
Ouch, glad people were not hurt and that the house survived, too.

rebeccas-sewing
June 4th, 2014, 11:13 AM
Good grief!!! Those photos are shocking! To think that tree was powerful enough to destroy an iron patio set is pretty sobering. I'm so glad you and your family weren't injured.

New York Sue
June 4th, 2014, 11:18 AM
YIKES! Not good...

auntiemern
June 4th, 2014, 11:29 AM
OMG!!! Thank goodness you and Al are alright. I heard there were storms around the state, but had no idea they were this bad. So sorry that you had this kind of damage. (((( Sandy & Al ))))

Shirley
June 4th, 2014, 11:32 AM
Oh dear! Hope everything's ok. I want to come sit on your deck.

Leah53
June 4th, 2014, 11:37 AM
At least it wasn't the house and hopefully everyone is okay.

I would have loved that table in it's former life. Don't throw the table away, lean it up in the yard and hang plants from it or use it for some other yard art.

toggpine
June 4th, 2014, 11:42 AM
Oh Sandy! I too hope everything else is OK.

shermur
June 4th, 2014, 11:43 AM
Whoa, Sandy.....looks like quite the mess, sweetie! Best of luck getting through the storm muck....the storm woke me up around 2 AM this morning and couldn't get back to sleep. Especially, when the wind was blowing as hard as it was....I was praying for the trees to stay in tact!
As I was driving out of my neighborhood this morning, I noticed a large tree limb fell on one of my neighbor's card and broke out the rear view window.....I bet they got quite the surprise this morning!

Sandy Navas
June 4th, 2014, 12:22 PM
Oh dear! Hope everything's ok. I want to come sit on your deck.

Come on up - and have Dan bring his chainsaw. We'll have a blast.

Simply Quilting
June 4th, 2014, 01:16 PM
Wow!!! You had some strong wind. Glad that you are safe.

Iris Girl
June 4th, 2014, 01:20 PM
Glad your all safe, that was some powerful wind.

SallyO'Sews
June 4th, 2014, 01:23 PM
Oh, dear! Will your homeowner's insurance help you out?
Hope everyone is safe.

WendyI
June 4th, 2014, 01:25 PM
Woah! What a shame your lovely table is all bent! Glad no one was injured. Your property is gorgeous! I wanna sit on your deck too! I don't have a chainsaw but I can split wood and make bonfires!

Reminds me of this lucky bugger I saw on Pinterest....

BobW
June 4th, 2014, 01:29 PM
Sandy, I'm sorry about your damage. I'm glad no one what injured. I just talked with a friend in Fulton, MO and they have trees down and wind damage also. I looked outside and no apparent damage here at my place. I didn't even know it was raining, the apartment building I live in is solid brick and I'm on the first floor. I don't usually know it is storming unless I look out or DirecTV starts having trouble with signal.

Hulamoon
June 4th, 2014, 01:39 PM
We had a tree limb come down on the house and it sounded like lightening. Seemed like it lasted forever. Good thing none of your kitties were around.

Genny
June 4th, 2014, 05:00 PM
Oh Sandy I worried about you and all my forum friends that this storm was going to affect. Looks like you got hit hard. All we got was 3 1/2 inches of rain...the bad storms just grazed the bottom of our county.

Bubby
June 4th, 2014, 05:22 PM
Sorry this happened to your patio furniture and deck. I hope the storm is over for all of us.

Monique
June 4th, 2014, 07:38 PM
We are all meeting at Sandy's for a bonfire. Bring marshmallows and smores. And wine for after on the deck.

nonnietomany
June 4th, 2014, 08:16 PM
Wow hope everyone is ok, and the damage is minor. Trish

Loonwatcher
June 4th, 2014, 08:26 PM
OMG! Looks like you had a heck of a storm. I hope it's not as bad as it looks and everyone is okay.

SuzyQue
June 4th, 2014, 09:10 PM
WOW! Just seeing this! I knew you were having rough weather last night. Sorry it did so much damage. We had little twigs and baby peaches all over the yard, but no real damage. This was the second wind storm this week! I am getting exercise from all the stick parties!

Mpyles
June 4th, 2014, 09:17 PM
So glad it hit your deck and not your roof with you under it! I saw the radar last night and thought of you, glad to know you all are ok. Outdoor furniture shopping trip in your future!!

Sandy Navas
June 4th, 2014, 09:47 PM
The deck is cleaned off and the damage surveyed - the table was actually cast aluminum and out of the six chairs we only lost two totally and two need to have the arms reattached (not a difficult job). We do have a smaller table like this one.

I can't help tomorrow, but Al will start the pick up around the place. My job will be trying to find some young healthy men to come in and cut up and haul off the bigger trees. We did hear the chainsaws out at one of the neighbors, but on a quick drive around tonight it does look as if the most damage was right here. Our property borders a right of way that is not used and in the middle of it there's a cluster of lin wood trees and they are damaged quite a bit . . . not owning the property I don't know what will happen there. May have to try to find the actual owner and have them step it up and clean it up - otherwise I may stop mowing their right of way.

WendyI
June 4th, 2014, 10:12 PM
Found some young healthy men for ya!

Oh..wait...they don't have any axes...

ok...these guys don't have axes...but there's a broom...or mop...or...oh who cares?

Maybe this will help?

tamsterg7
June 5th, 2014, 12:32 AM
No,buut I would love to have your deck - minus the tree! Tables can be replaced, people can't, so glad you are ok, but sorry you had the damage. It was a very dicey commute here in STL, it hit here early and lasted through first part of rush hour.

EmmaB
June 5th, 2014, 08:17 AM
Bummer Sandy! What a mess

Sandy Navas
June 5th, 2014, 10:00 AM
Found some young healthy men for ya!

Oh..wait...they don't have any axes...

ok...these guys don't have axes...but there's a broom...or mop...or...oh who cares?

Maybe this will help?

Send them on down . . .

SuzyQue
June 5th, 2014, 10:45 AM
Another round about to hit here......be safe , Sandy!

Sandy Navas
June 5th, 2014, 03:29 PM
We had rain here this morning and the sky was terribly dark for several hours. In fact, I went back to bed for a much deserved nap after I got back from dropping my car off for repairs. Had a tree guy in who spotted more damage up high that we'd missed - gonna take a bundle for him to come in and clean up and with about 4 inches of rain soaked in we will not be able to get to it until sometime next week if the weather holds. He said we must have had some tremendous straight-line winds because the trees were snapped like toothpicks.

Thanks for the good thoughts.

K. McEuen
June 5th, 2014, 03:54 PM
When I saw the pictures yesterday I thought the damage looked like what we used to experience on the Air Force base here when the straight line winds came in through the canyon. We got them up to 70 mph sometimes. It was crazy. There would be limbs laying all over the base.

Glad no major damage was done to you or Al or the house.

Doloris
June 5th, 2014, 04:06 PM
So glad it wasn't worse and hit the roof. Sometimes we have to take the bad to live on a lovely wooded lot. Your home and property is beautiful. I am envious :)