PDA

View Full Version : DS wears braces. Packed lunch ideas needed.

Sheena
June 4th, 2014, 08:23 AM
I could really do with some suggestions for my DS's packed lunches for school. He has braces and he can't eat anything hard or chewy.

He has a nut allergy.

He doesn't want fruit. Bananas and grapes get squashed, apples and pears are too hard.

He likes pasta but a tub takes up too much room and he'll burst a bag.

Things like yoghurts and jellies will burst.

He can't have crusts, biscuits or sweets, real fruit juice, pop (I mean the fizzy drinks kind) or anything high in sugar or acid.

He can have bread, cake, soft wafer type biscuits (not too often), and crisps (chips).

We've just a bit of a to-do about it on the way back from having the wires fixed on his brace.

Any ideas?

We need HELP!

Sandy Navas
June 4th, 2014, 10:43 AM
Some meat salad (Mom used to make the best ham salad) but chicken, tuna . . . fruit leathers (they will dissolve without chewing) . . . scrambled eggs, vegetable curls (carrots or cucumbers cut with a peeler) - Oh, and a stronger lunch box.

Cat77
June 4th, 2014, 11:12 AM
Why can't he eat anything hard or chewy? Is it because of the braces? If so, then I'd suggest getting another dentist! :)

If he can have bread, you can make him different kinds of sandwiches (ham, jelly, philadelphia, cheese, turkey, chicken, tomatoes, salami, etc.). Wouldn't do tuna, that gets stuck easily in the braces and doesn't smell so nice. Rice salad might also be an option, especially during summer time.

And how big are your pasta tubs? Just put it in a normal tupperware (they come in all sizes). If that still doesn't fit his bag, get him a bigger bag! :D

And for drinking: water or smoothies.

Pandabear
June 4th, 2014, 12:04 PM
Do you have a product called Gogurts? Yogurt in a tube. I used to freeze some, throw one in my son's lunchbox and by the time he had lunch it was thawed enough to eat.

Deli meats. Cheese and crackers. Carrots and a dressing.

songbird857
June 4th, 2014, 12:11 PM
I'm wondering about the lunch bag too! LOL Get something a bit more sturdy... with a cold pack - the banana won't get mushy. Love the meat salad idea - makes me want some chicken salad right now :) Throw a frozen juice box (unless he's too old and cool for juice boxes) in with the lunch and it will act like an ice pack without taking up extra space. Hard boiled eggs are good too - when I was working in the office, I would hard boil a bunch on Monday; throw em in the fridge and take two to work every day.

.....oh, and what about fruit salad instead of just a 'piece' of fruit? yum...

rebeccas-sewing
June 4th, 2014, 12:22 PM
Just cut everything up into bite-size pieces so he doesn't have to bite into stuff. I just remember needing to stay away from hard stuff and sticky stuff. He should certainly be able to eat a sandwich if you cut it up into bite-sized pieces. Soups are good. I think you definitely need different containers. There are thermos containers that keep things hot. Take the yogurt out of the packaged container and put it in a plastic container with a screw-on top. He doesn't need to throw everything away does he? My kids had hard-sided lunch boxes so I was able to pack just about anything in them. They'd bring all the containers that weren't throw-away home in their lunch boxes and I'd just wash them out for the next use.

Google "what to pack in kids' lunch with braces. Looks like there are a number of sites with ideas.

Hulamoon
June 4th, 2014, 01:09 PM
Both my girls had braces and they ate whatever they wanted. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I have a funny story. I took my youngest in to have her bands replaced and my dd said mom she didn't put the color I wanted. So I went and stole some when the nurse went out of the room and my dd did it herself. I think this is my second thief story this week. lol

I sure got some mom hugs that day :)

IBake
June 4th, 2014, 02:13 PM
My boys ate just about anything-except the real sticky stuff...and you can get brace cleaners to take care of that.

We have also gone "dumpster diving" when #2 son forgot his retainer and it went into the trash at the school during lunch. We dugs through the bins-8 large garbage bags until we found it...Hubby said he wasn't paying $200 for a new retainer because son's brain was asleep. Trust me, he never did that again, and it's appalling what kids throw out at lunch!

Sandy Navas
June 4th, 2014, 02:40 PM
Both my girls had braces and they ate whatever they wanted. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I have a funny story. I took my youngest in to have her bands replaced and my dd said mom she didn't put the color I wanted. So I went and stole some when the nurse went out of the room and my dd did it herself. I think this is my second thief story this week. lol

I sure got some mom hugs that day :)

Okay, time for minor thief stories now? Well, I took Mom to the doctor one day and he was way behind. Mom was fussing because she had to wait - but we were in the exam room already. I reached over, grabbed a rubber glove, blew it up and tied it off and took a pen and drew on a face.

Well, Mom was livid that I would dare to take something from the exam room . . . and then the doctor came in and she told me to hide it. When he finished and we were ready to leave Mom retrieved the funny blown-up glove and took it home with her and wouldn't let me get rid of it . . .

Precious1
June 4th, 2014, 03:09 PM
My daughter wears braces. Has been wearing them for about 14 months. The lists of what not to eat given to patients who wear braces are more of a precautionary measure. The first few days, your son's mouth will be sore because the braces are putting pressure against his teeth, some over the counter pain meds, help with the discomfort. After those first few days, he will be so hungry, he will and can eat anything. The KEY, is brushing and flossing. Make sure he brushes his teeth every time he eats. If he drinks any juice or soda, make sure he rinses his mouth out with water.

Ps: I also wore braces and ate everything including pizza and corn. But I made sure I brushed my teeth to remove the food particles. Hope this helps. :)

Miss Sheri
June 4th, 2014, 03:17 PM
My boys ate just about anything-except the real sticky stuff...and you can get brace cleaners to take care of that.

We have also gone "dumpster diving" when #2 son forgot his retainer and it went into the trash at the school during lunch. We dugs through the bins-8 large garbage bags until we found it...Hubby said he wasn't paying $200 for a new retainer because son's brain was asleep. Trust me, he never did that again, and it's appalling what kids throw out at lunch!

We had the same fun at a fast food restaurant. Haha, You just had to think of it as looking for hundred dollar bills, to make yourself keep going.

They make plastic storage containers in all kinds of sizes now. I put a couple slices of bread inside a ziplock sandwich bag, and then inside a sandwich sized plastic container, then add a small container of tuna salad (or some other sandwich topping) so my son can put it together fresh when he is ready to eat it ~ no more soggy sandwiches. Also, when making PB&J, I put Peanut butter on Both slices of bread, then jam in the center so the jam doesn't soak through. The extra protein keeps them going a bit longer too. But, I think you said no nuts. . is that an allergy? If not, just use the creamy style Peanut Butter.

Hulamoon
June 4th, 2014, 04:29 PM
lol Sandy that was cute.

it's appalling what kids throw out at lunch!
I had to work in a school cafeteria in between jobs as a baker. But while your there you have to do everything down to cleaning and serving and to get to your point dumping plates. All the bread I made in the morning went right into the trash, along with all the cartons of milk. Our manager saved everything for the pig farmer. So I was pouring out hundreds of $ of milk out. And everything is frozen. You know those rib things they sell at Mc D's that is what they give to the kids. Worst system ever.

sewlucky
June 4th, 2014, 05:44 PM
My 17 yr old son has been wearing braces for a year and a half, getting ready for jaw surgery. He eats most things, and yes, he's gotten a couple warning letters from the orthodontist after appointments that he's not flossing well enough. He's getting pretty good at it all by now though.

His latest favourite lunch is kale salad (with cabbage, Brussels sprouts, etc) - a "super food" mix that is popular here right now with a can of tuna on it. He's an elite athlete and we just did some sessions with the dietician a few months ago. He often takes leftovers, but hates reheating stuff. When he first saw the amount of food he was expected to eat throughout a school day he was aghast. I told him I was going to buy him a little red wagon for his lunch ;)

Get your son to help you pack his lunches, it sounds like most of the challenge is not the braces but him being picky. I have those kids, so I certainly get it! It's been a lot easier with this last kid having him make choices based on what he knows he should be eating to be healthy.

Terri