PDA

View Full Version : We both just retired and you won't believe what happened

Familyjournals
June 3rd, 2014, 05:46 PM
Last Saturday we had a big retirement party for my husband (47 years an engineer) and I after 35 years interned a gal who purchased my business. I retired 3 weeks ago and promptly had surgery on both feet so we could enjoy a fun summer we have looked forward to forever.

So bright and early yesterday morning, on our very first day of freedom together, my husband lost a battle with a table saw, I got a bang on my sew-wing door and there stood my husband with a blood soaked towel wrapped around his hand, the evil table saw was buzzing triumphantly in the background. I cleaned him up and determined that his injuries were beyond my capabilities, so I rushed him to a hand surgeon where he only lost a nail on one finger. It had been sliced down the middle. It is now 14 stitches and a very bruised ego later. If he'd only listened to me....I wanted him to go golfing! So now we are both gimpy! He and his cast on his right hand and me looking like Edward scissor toes with all the pins extending out the ends of my toes. (By the way one 4" pin prematurely came out on Sunday, I tried to put it back in but it wouldn't have any of it.) hopefully this start to our retirement isn't foretelling of things to come? Maybe we are just getting all of the bad stuff over early. Still happy though, it could have been a finger or a hand.

Dollyquilts
June 3rd, 2014, 05:50 PM
Bless his heart, and yours too. Glad it was only a nail he lost. I hope he heals nicely. Watch it carefully and if you see any redness or signs of infection, hie yourself to the doctor or emergency room.

Dolly

Jean Sewing Machine
June 3rd, 2014, 05:52 PM
The family that heals together... How can we finish this saying? Hope the rest of your retirement days go more smoothly!

bubba
June 3rd, 2014, 05:54 PM
Crikey! That gave me the heeby geebies just reading it! I don't do well with blood at all! Those pins in the digits are something else too! MM had bone surgery on his hands and he had those pins coming out the tips of his fingers.....one came out w/in the week and the could not put it back in.

Hope you both recovery quickly and that I don't follow your footsteps in three weeks time!

Familyjournals
June 3rd, 2014, 05:58 PM
Bless his heart, and yours too. Glad it was only a nail he lost. I hope he heals nicely. Watch it carefully and if you see any redness or signs of infection, hie yourself to the doctor or emergency room.

Dolly
You are right Dolly, I made sure he got a tetanus shot and he is on antibiotics. I cleaned the wound before I drove him (with my Darth Vader foot) to the hospital. We were both quite a sight. I'm walking like a duck with him in shock and pale as a ghost.

Familyjournals
June 3rd, 2014, 06:01 PM
Crikey! That gave me the heeby geebies just reading it! I don't do well with blood at all! Those pins in the digits are something else too! MM had bone surgery on his hands and he had those pins coming out the tips of his fingers.....one came out w/in the week and the could not put it back in.

Hope you both recovery quickly and that I don't follow your footsteps in three weeks time!

You won't Pat, you'll have a great time, I'll take the bad luck on for this month. Those retiring next month though, ought to be concerned.

pcbatiks
June 3rd, 2014, 06:01 PM
Yikes, Debbie..........I grimaced reading this too! Glad he wasn't hurt any worse than that. Just relax together and heal up so you can both enjoy retirement! :)

Miss Sheri
June 3rd, 2014, 06:02 PM
Debbie, that is not a very auspicious beginning, but hopfully the end of the physical trauma! Although your description of the two of you in casts and pins made me chuckle. Sorry, hoping you two can find humor to ease your discomfort. Hugs! Sheri

Doloris
June 3rd, 2014, 06:02 PM
You are right Dolly, I made sure he got a tetanus shot and he is on antibiotics. I cleaned the wound before I drove him (with my Darth Vader foot) to the hospital. We were both quite a sight. I'm walking like a duck with him in shock and pale as a ghost.

The staff at the emergency room probably didn't know who the patient was with you two. What a sight. My DH did that once and after we got home from emergency I noticed that there was blood splatter all over the side of my car. He was using the saw in the garage. Glad is wasn't worse, and you now have all the bad stuff out of the way and can get on with enjoying retirement. :)

Familyjournals
June 3rd, 2014, 06:04 PM
The family that heals together... How can we finish this saying? Hope the rest of your retirement days go more smoothly!

Thanks Jean....How about....The family that heals together... Can handle stormy weather......

Familyjournals
June 3rd, 2014, 06:06 PM
Debbie, that is not a very auspicious beginning, but hopfully the end of the physical trauma! Although your description of the two of you in casts and pins made me chuckle. Sorry, hoping you two can find humor to ease your discomfort. Hugs! Sheri

We really are quite a humorous couple, people can't help but smile as they ask what happened to the other guy.

Mom23
June 3rd, 2014, 06:08 PM
Hopefully your bad luck is behind you! My husband lost 4 fingers to a radial arm saw December 23, 1981. The small finger was reattached but he lost the middle three fingers. His accident brought us closer together and made us the couple we are today. Good luck to you and your husband. Enjoy your retirement as best you can right now, but really enjoy it when you both heal.

Familyjournals
June 3rd, 2014, 06:09 PM
Yikes, Debbie..........I grimaced reading this too! Glad he wasn't hurt any worse than that. Just relax together and heal up so you can both enjoy retirement! :)

Thanks Pam, yes this isn't the type of togetherness we hAd envisioned.

bubba
June 3rd, 2014, 06:12 PM
I will say, when I was suffering from gout a few years ago (I'd only wish that on one person, it's terrible pain!), I had been into the doctor three nights in a row because it got so bad. Well, the fourth night I was passed out on the couch when I hear pounding. I thought I was dreaming that someone was trying to break in and I was so doped up I didn not care. Then I heard yelling. Peeked out the peep hole and there was MM holding one hand with the other as he kicked the door and yelled. I open the door and he is yelling for me to open it (in my defense, I was on drugs!). This was during the time we were building an addition and as he was using the nail gun, a defective 2 x 4 split and misguided the nail from the gun and it shot into his hand. Well, hearing this brought me to my senses in a hurry! Even worse, I had to drive because he was spurting blood and couldn't!!!

I walk into urgent care (remember, fourth night in a row) and the look at me surprised and wonder why I was back again. I told them it was for my husband who had shot himself w/the nail gun.......they take that as seriously as a gun that shoots bullets! He was in a room before I even had him checked in. Luck was shining on him that night because somehow he managed not to hit a single bone! Went home w/a big bandage, tetanus shot and antibiotics.

Doloris
June 3rd, 2014, 06:17 PM
I will say, when I was suffering from gout a few years ago (I'd only wish that on one person, it's terrible pain!), I had been into the doctor three nights in a row because it got so bad. Well, the fourth night I was passed out on the couch when I hear pounding. I thought I was dreaming that someone was trying to break in and I was so doped up I didn not care. Then I heard yelling. Peeked out the peep hole and there was MM holding one hand with the other as he kicked the door and yelled. I open the door and he is yelling for me to open it (in my defense, I was on drugs!). This was during the time we were building an addition and as he was using the nail gun, a defective 2 x 4 split and misguided the nail from the gun and it shot into his hand. Well, hearing this brought me to my senses in a hurry! Even worse, I had to drive because he was spurting blood and couldn't!!!

I walk into urgent care (remember, fourth night in a row) and the look at me surprised and wonder why I was back again. I told them it was for my husband who had shot himself w/the nail gun.......they take that as seriously as a gun that shoots bullets! He was in a room before I even had him checked in. Luck was shining on him that night because somehow he managed not to hit a single bone! Went home w/a big bandage, tetanus shot and antibiotics.
Why is it men only get hurt when the person who has to take them to emergency is laid up too. I would go to the emergency room just to watch these kind of people walk in, but they would soon throw me out. GIGGLEING NOT ALLOWED

bubba
June 3rd, 2014, 06:25 PM
Honestly, I don't know how I was able to drive us there that night!!!

Familyjournals
June 3rd, 2014, 06:26 PM

Wow , how do the male species even survive? Your story, mom23 and I'm sure there are many more. I raised 5 sons and it's a miracle they have lived this long with the death wish they seem all flirt with. I came home once to what looked like a murder scene when my husband fell on the ice and his head landed on a shovel handle. Got to love these guys, but it's not for the squeamish.

Familyjournals
June 3rd, 2014, 06:29 PM

You did it because when it comes down to it there is a strength inside that can surprise us. There were also some bubba angels on watch too!

Claire Hallman
June 3rd, 2014, 07:00 PM
Guys have this thing, they have to be worse off than you are.
Ouch-a-rooney, hope you both heal very quickly and permanently.

Bubby
June 3rd, 2014, 07:08 PM
Thank goodness it wasn't more serious. I hope you both heal quickly.

sewlucky
June 3rd, 2014, 07:23 PM
Keep smiling and laughing and the good days are going to happen :). I'm glad hubby only lost a nail!

Terri

Familyjournals
June 3rd, 2014, 07:30 PM
Keep smiling and laughing and the good days are going to happen :). I'm glad hubby only lost a nail!

Terri

Thanks sew much Terri! Me too! It very easily could have been much worse!

irishrn
June 3rd, 2014, 07:33 PM
Wishing you both a speedy recovery!! Stay away from all sharp objects!!!

WendyI
June 3rd, 2014, 09:49 PM
My DH did the very same thing with his thumb on a table saw...they're evil and no one uses the guards...they just get in the way! Hoping you both heal up soon! xox

Familyjournals
June 3rd, 2014, 10:13 PM
My DH did the very same thing with his thumb on a table saw...they're evil and no one uses the guards...they just get in the way! Hoping you both heal up soon! xox

Thank you. I thought I could hear its evil shreaking squeal as I yanked out its power source!

Navy Wife
June 3rd, 2014, 11:03 PM
Mine fell on his bike. He hit a rock and tore his arm up, but no broken bones. He managed to get home where I was in bed after surgery. We drove to the hospital, with him driving and me holding pressure on his arm to stop the bleeding. They put us both in beds!

MayinJerset
June 3rd, 2014, 11:16 PM
Now that the worst is over you two need time to heal and then you'll be on your merry way enjoying your retirement.

Familyjournals
June 3rd, 2014, 11:34 PM
Mine fell on his bike. He hit a rock and tore his arm up, but no broken bones. He managed to get home where I was in bed after surgery. We drove to the hospital, with him driving and me holding pressure on his arm to stop the bleeding. They put us both in beds!

I'm sorry but I'm giggling because this sounds too familiar. Isn't that just how it goes? I'm glad you survived, you were probably the one the worse off by far. Yesterday they were asking me if I needed a wheelchair. Kind of upstaged the poor guy.

Gina
June 3rd, 2014, 11:52 PM
Hope you both heal quickly! That could have been really bad glad he is alright! My hubby likes knives and I think he has a scare for each knife he has ever owned! Two years ago at Christmas he was trying to cut one of Jayden's toys from its package and cut a long gash in his hand. Thought I was going to pass out! I use to be able to handle blood, now not so much.

Familyjournals
June 4th, 2014, 12:02 AM
Hope you both heal quickly! That could have been really bad glad he is alright! My hubby likes knives and I think he has a scare for each knife he has ever owned! Two years ago at Christmas he was trying to cut one of Jayden's toys from its package and cut a long gash in his hand. Thought I was going to pass out! I use to be able to handle blood, now not so much.

There you go....and you have a son? I have 5 sons and 3 grandsons..,.totally different experience than the family of girls I came from, the boys do things that can actually do damage while the only time we had a death wish was when we had a bad hair day....

Familyjournals
June 4th, 2014, 09:51 AM
Wishing you both a speedy recovery!! Stay away from all sharp objects!!!

Great advice! He's already plotting how he is going to go at it again one handed.........this is going to be a longggggggggg retirement...whew.....

Familyjournals
June 4th, 2014, 01:43 PM
Now that the worst is over you two need time to heal and then you'll be on your merry way enjoying your retirement.

Hopefully it will be Merry. We are two very independent workaholics. Interesting combination, and now that we are both healing, we are a laugh a minute. A new learning curve.......it's all good.

aliaslaceygreen
June 5th, 2014, 08:17 AM
I'm going with "Well, now THAT'S out of the way"..... OUCH.... I hope everyone heals, and happy retirement!!

you are bringing back memories of my BIL borrowing my DH's garage and power tools while DH slept because he'd worked 16 hours....and a loud scream, a sputtering tool and and then him sitting on my deck, bloody towels and most of three fingers mostly cut off... I had to wake Timmy from a dead sleep, call an ambulance... One more reason I am glad I keep red dish towels!! He got off light, all the fingers were saved and he's been banished from our power tools unsupervised....

Familyjournals
June 5th, 2014, 11:08 AM
I'm going with "Well, now THAT'S out of the way"..... OUCH.... I hope everyone heals, and happy retirement!!

you are bringing back memories of my BIL borrowing my DH's garage and power tools while DH slept because he'd worked 16 hours....and a loud scream, a sputtering tool and and then him sitting on my deck, bloody towels and most of three fingers mostly cut off... I had to wake Timmy from a dead sleep, call an ambulance... One more reason I am glad I keep red dish towels!! He got off light, all the fingers were saved and he's been banished from our power tools unsupervised....

Maybe they need to get a drivers license to use these tools! I love what they can make but sometimes it comes with a big price! I'm glad he still has his fingers, they will probably never be the same.

songbird857
June 5th, 2014, 11:38 AM

LOL... I was thinking as I read your initial post... "How on earth did she get him to the hospital???" The visual of you driving with your foot issues and him sitting in the passenger side with his hand wrapped... oh my... ;)

Familyjournals
June 5th, 2014, 12:15 PM
LOL... I was thinking as I read your initial post... "How on earth did she get him to the hospital???" The visual of you driving with your foot issues and him sitting in the passenger side with his hand wrapped... oh my... ;)

I had concerns about what the headlines would be in the nightly news. :icon_attention:..."woman takes out supporting pole in the emergency room entry causing emergency workers to flee as the roof caves in. Cause found to be her surgerical boot was caught on the accelerater." :icon_hihi: while husband insisted he could have done better one handed..... Glad we dodged that bullet. ;-)