PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday - June 3

Blondie
June 3rd, 2014, 06:43 AM

Happy Tuesday Folksies!

Yesterday was a very productive day for me. I tackled the junk room - no, not the basement junk room, the junk room that my hubs like to dump everything in that he doesn't know where things belong junk room. How much junk was in there? About two days of cleaning worth. I have the back of my pick up truck loaded with contributions and the trash can out back loaded down as well. In all honesty, I've contributed to the mess as well. In fact, I may joke about how messy my house is, but there is reason I suppose.

I think it all started when my first one left home. It was like that first jump into cold water - and then the other two left shortly behind. That sort of happens when you have 3 kids in four years. It was the first time in our marriage that Luscious and I were alone, which was nice. And shortly after that my parent's health went into a nose dive. All of a sudden, I didn't have time, didn't care, missed my kids, missed my life and oh yeah, who gives a fig about what's behind closed doors when it is just the two of us?

It got to where we forgot where things were. Sort of like, what's behind door number 3 - lol. No, it wasn't to the hoarding stage, heaven forbid, but it got to the point where we both have decided no more hit and miss. It has got to be done. The basement will be the most dramatic since everyone in the family stores stuff down there. We are the only one with a basement. I've been through this once before and will give everyone fair warning. If they don't arrive and remove their forgotten junk by a certain date it is going to the dump. Oh yeah, I can do this.

Reckon you know now how I will be spending my summer.

Hugs, prayers and blessings to each of one. SMILE!

Monique
June 3rd, 2014, 07:31 AM
Good morning dear friends. My day yesterday was very productive too. I made pot holders and this is nothing new, but I am very binding challenged. I have never done binding on the round. On one of my holders, I have spent about 45 minutes trying to connect those ends and I can't for the life of me figure it out. I hope today the light bulb goes off and I can finish those.

So that is what I spent my day doing. Today is going to be a rainy day and very humid. I need to make the second pot holder today, hopefully with no binding problems. Wish me luck.

Have a great day friends.

pcbatiks
June 3rd, 2014, 07:52 AM
Good morning to all...........Blondie, I loved the picture from yesterday.........George Carlin's comment about other drivers! It's so true! Your post today reminded of one of his other stand up routines that I like called........a place for your stuff. So your junk room is just a place for your extra stuff. :D

Hoping to have a productive day today..........my spring cleaning is turning into summer cleaning!

Here's a picture to make you smile. This is my parents new puppy........her name is Roux (Roo). She is a funny dog....puppy breath and all.

HandsomeRyan
June 3rd, 2014, 08:08 AM
Blondie- When you finish cleaning there, how about a road trip to MD to help me clean my workshop and basement. I just turned 29 last week and I am happy to report I'm well on my way to being the youngest person ever featured on the show "Hoarders". :)

Pam- That puppy is so cute!

Wiggles has been in a much better mood lately. It is warm enough that we spend a lot of time outside together. I call him "The Governor of the Front Porch" because he loves to sit in his bouncy chair out there.
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h170/HandsomeRyan/IMAG0166_zps12fgzxef.jpg (http://s64.photobucket.com/user/HandsomeRyan/media/IMAG0166_zps12fgzxef.jpg.html)

We took little man to a physical therapy appointment yesterday because he has [something that starts with the letter T] which means he favors holding his head/neck to one side over the other. They gave us some tips and exercises to do with him but they said he should be fine as he gets bigger/stronger it will go away. He did really good through the entire appointment and he was a big hit with the [mostly much, much older] patients in the waiting room.

We are headed to Tennessee this weekend so Grandma, other Grandma, and Sweet T (grandpa) can get their hands on him. I am not looking forward to 9+ hours of driving but it will be nice to see everyone.

Hope you all have a nice day!

dhubert
June 3rd, 2014, 08:14 AM
Handsome Ryan - your son is adorable!!! We have a new grandson who was born on 1/12/14 and he had the same issues - dr. told my son and his wife to give him more "tummy time" and his last apt he got the all clear. Enjoy these precious times. I have four sons and it flew by...... His smile is soooo sweet!

Madeforyouinma11
June 3rd, 2014, 08:22 AM
Blondie, I know how you feel. When Fred and I got together, we had his stuff and my stuff. We got rid of a lot in the beginning and have been slowly getting rid of more since. I started to declutter a lot this year and while I'm doing my spring cleaning it's really getting decluttered. It drives me crazy when I'm looking for something that I know we have and cannot find it. I've done the living room, kitchen and dining room so far. Julia's room is good, but I still have the closet to do. Then it's my bedroom...UGH that is the attic that was turned into our bedroom so it's the length of the house and holds a lot of crap that I didn't want downstairs...so for me, that will be the room that will take me the longest. I have to say though, it feels so good when it's done, so I just keep plugging along.
Monique, good luck with your potholders. Now that we are done with Julia's birthday party, I need to get mine started.
Pam, I guess since my spring cleaning isn't done yet, it's going to be considered summer cleaning...does that mean we can skip the fall cleaning? :) I love your parents new puppy, he's adorable.
Well, today I have a 9:15 appointment to bring Benny to the vet and a 3:30 appointment for me for a consultation with an oral surgeon. In between, I think I may have to do some work outside...it's going to be another beautiful day.
77864. Has anyone seen my..........?

Carol336
June 3rd, 2014, 08:27 AM
Good morning everyone.

Blondie - I hear you loud and clear on the cleaning out. We're in the throws of downsizing and we've been cleaning out a basement with over 30 years of junque...ok ok, it's more like a bunch of trash. DH had made more than 20 trips to the dump and we're having a huge neighborhood yard sale on Saturday. So now a lot of the junque is on tables in my garage with little price stickers stuck all over everything. I've already told DH, nothing and I mean NOTHING comes back in this house at the end of the day. If it doesn't sell, just load it in the truck and head for the dump.

I went to Hancock fabric yesterday, just to get some fusible fleece....and came out with a rather large addition to my stash!!! How fun is that. It looks like I'm gonna have to order another pack of comic boards......why did I think I could never use 100 of those little wonders!!!

Going to get a mani and pedi with our eldest DGD this afternoon. I was going to get in the sewing room.....but who can resist those questions that begin "Grammy, can you please"....

Ryan - It always makes my day to see Sawyer's precious smiling face.....my goodness he's growing by leaps and bounds!!

Monique - good luck with your round binding.....I'm proud of you for even giving that a try!!

Have a lovely day everyone.

Blondie
June 3rd, 2014, 08:29 AM
Ryan, I needed that mini cooper smile/fix. Thank you. He must be the moved loved lil fella in the quilting world. And yeah, purge now or become the hoarder that my brother is. No joke. There is nothing but "cat walks" in his house. What is up with that? At least before yesterday I could keep my junk room door closed. LOL. Mom has a barn and another building that is going to be another challenge but that is for another day, month or year. She is convinced she is sitting on a treasure.

Pam, I declare- Carlin could be so profane and profound at the same time! Love Roux. What a darling picture. I want to nuzzle him and catch a whiff of puppy breath.

Monique, hoping you have an Aha moment.

Dhubert, hello!

Everyone that follows - I'm going in. But first, another cuppa to reinforce my determination to fill that pick me up truck with more stuff.

Mpyles
June 3rd, 2014, 08:35 AM
Good morning everyone...junks rooms! Same thing has happened here...but it's mainly in my garage. DH and I did clean out our shoes the other night....donated the good ones to make a wish and the rest went in the trash. I had shoes I hadn't worn in years! Crazy!

Ryan...cooper is as adorable as ever!

Everyone have a great day!

Navy Wife
June 3rd, 2014, 08:39 AM
I'm up with the sun today. DS and DIL were on the road early to return to D.C. It was a short visit, but a good one.

Ryan, your young man is so cute. Almost as cute as my great grandson! I love babies at this age. They respond to everyone, but don't get around and into everything! What part of TN are you going to?

I am not doing any more cleaning. I'm tired and I have to start packing the motorhome. When we get home I think I'll just move everything out in the garage and have a giant sale. We have so much stuff after almost 59 years of marriage. When DH was on active duty, I kept things cleaned out because we had a limit on the pounds we could ship from place to place. After he retired we both became pack rats. Now it's a little overwhelming, so I just leave home!

It's a beautiful morning here in east TN, cool and pleasant. Maybe some rain showers later. We are pretty dry, so the rain will be welcome. Have a super day all.

Linda

MRoy
June 3rd, 2014, 09:00 AM
Good morning! Blondie, you're welcome to come tackle my basement when you're finished at home. There are things that belonged to my mom and MIL stored down there and they really need to be organized. There are also empty metal shelves down there...on the floor in pieces where DH left them after he bought them (disassembled) at an auction. Maybe someday he'll slow down long enough to put them together!

Yesterday was "farmer's helper" day for me...running errands and bringing this and that to the fields. It looks like it's going to start raining any minute now so it may be a slower paced day. I hope everyone has a great day today! Prayers said for those facing surgeries, illness, and other issues.

HandsomeRyan
June 3rd, 2014, 09:08 AM
What part of TN are you going to?
Knoxville. Specifically, Farragut.

I used to ride my motorcycle over in your neck of the woods (well, at least through it to get to the mountains).

Sandy Navas
June 3rd, 2014, 09:14 AM
Seems as if everyone is on the same page here. Yesterday I went to MY tool canister to get a screwdriver and found that Al had misappropriated half of my tools . . . and he had no idea where he'd left them. I told him that it was MY TOOL case and he could keep his little mitts off and go find his own tools (he has a whole shop FULL). And then he disappeared. The next thing I knew he had cans of paint, brushes, tools, ladders, you name it loaded up and was sorting to put things back where he thinks they go.

Hey, don't throw any rotten tomatoes at me, but I'm going to Hamilton today!!!! YEAH!!

Guess I can't type more when I'm ducking . . .

Looking for gentle baby breath and the wonderful puppy breath smells this morning. Thanks.

So many warm wishes, thoughts and prayers heading out today. Be safe, my friends.

buckeyequilter
June 3rd, 2014, 09:22 AM

Good morning....

My sewing room isn't quite as bad as the one in the picture....but if I don't get in gear it may be. I really need to do some spring cleaning. We are having company on Saturday and she's kind of a neat person...so I guess I'd best pretend that I am too :) I can at least wash the curtains and wipe things down. With just 3 adults living in the house it really doesn't get messy....just a lot of dust and fur from the animals. Oh well enough moaning about having to clean....that topic depresses me.

Now for something fun...I finished my Irish Chain top last night. I now have 5 quilt tops to get quilted and think I may start pinning one on the frame tonight. I'm in the UFO group so I think the first one I will do is the spiderweb top since that is my UFO of the month. I will keep that one so I'm going to do some practice on it. I have a Big Star quilt top that I will be giving to my cousin so I think I'll do that next....just because I want to take a road trip :) and also I'd like to visit with them.

Well time to get to work...have a wonderful day. Prayers and hugs to all.

EnumclawGramma
June 3rd, 2014, 09:33 AM
Good Morning. No time to get caught up on everyone this morning, heading to the hospital in a little bit for my Granddaughter's surgery. Thank you to everyone for your continued prayers. I'll come back later and let you all know how it goes. It's going to be a long day, especially for this lovely:
She has taken up residence on my couch since it seems to be the only place with enough pillows to elevate that leg. And it's near the TV, XBox, computer and all her music!

So off we go..........

Madeforyouinma11
June 3rd, 2014, 09:45 AM
Libby, hope everything goes well. I will say a prayer for her.

MayinJerset
June 3rd, 2014, 09:49 AM
Good Morning, Seems everyone is still doing Spring Cleaning and trying to declutter. Me too, although it's not a deep declutter stuff is going out of the house nonetheless. DH and I sort of began talking about moving to a smaller place so I'm trying to get rid of the big stuff like furniture, only problem is that the family who would take it don't live nearby but in LA and CA. Seriously getting my stash down to what I really can use. Began with a large COC quilt last week, backing and binding included that will soon be on it's way to Blondie. Yesterday I turned some leftover blocks into a doll quilt. Looked through the rest of the leftover and sample blocks and arranged some into more doll quilts and all the rest get tied together and put into a big tote. When the tote is filled with stash I no longer want or need it goes to my quilt's stash room. Next item to declutter is the big plastic tote on our backyard deck. The new decking is down so I'll clean all the deck furniture, wash the cushions that are stored in the tote and weed out the placemats, tablecloths and BBQ tools. DH doesn't like to BBQ so a few tools is all we need, the rest go to Good Will.

Contractor is here so I need to tell him what color composition board decking I want for the front step, Seaside Grey is what I chose. Step will look nice and finish our small front entrance nicely and also help me get in and out of the house without any trouble. Next I'll choose a new sturdy mailbox with post that will be right next to the step, it will look nice and also give me a place to hold onto when I step up and down. I have a huge trailing pot of petunias that will complete the whole new front door look.

Time to go, getting a much needed perm this morning. Everyone be good and hope it's a nice day for you all.

GrammaBabs
June 3rd, 2014, 09:55 AM
77869:icon_rolleyes:Special hug to you Libby,,, so hard when it's someone you love... you feel so out of control... Pray things go well..
As for you fabulous people in the pic up mode... good for you.. I need to get going again with it,, I get half way thru then find a tote with some scraps or a project forgotten and I stop to "sew it all up into something" til' the tote is empty.. kinda' the slow way to pic up, but it works!
Today is my quilting day... then supper out... a dream day if you will..
Ryan,, again,,i swear you have the most perfect looking child I think I've ever laid eyes on!! And yes, I am partial to BOYS!!! I hope is stops growing until fall so his sweater fits!!! LOL
Monique.. thanks for being such a help..
Sandy,,, I'm jealous.. and looking forward to seeing M* in the fall..
Blondie you rock.. and make my mornings!!
Over and out..
Oh and here's a picture of my DH's "garage"... we bought a new TV for the den and he won't part with anything until it's "broke" (even then it might be good for spare parts.. ugh,).. but it's HIS space.. I have my sewing room..

Navy Wife
June 3rd, 2014, 10:05 AM
Ryan, I know all about Farragut. My son lived there and my 2 grandchildren graduated from Farragut High. He is in Loudon County now. Did you ride the Dragon? That seems to be the ultimate test for cyclists. Have a safe trip. My DS is on his way back to Arlington, VA, after a short visit.

Mom23
June 3rd, 2014, 10:07 AM
Good Morning All,

I love the big screen tv in the garage!! My husband is the same way, he finds it very hard to part with anything. I, on the other hand, am not a saver. My kids tease me about throwing everything away but I remind them, they will thank me for not being a saver when I am gone.

Ryan, that Sawyer (Mr. Mayor) is just adorable. Glad you noticed a "kink in his neck" and got it taken care of. Good luck driving, the family will be thrilled to see him!

The only sewing I have been doing is with scraps. A friend gave me a huge tote full of scraps. I've been sewing them onto 10x10 inch papers from M* to make blocks. I'm determined to get rid of as much as possible before I start another project. I have one other project going that I hope to finish this Thursday when I go to our guild sew day.

I got to go see my grand baby yesterday. Here is a picture of Carter with my son, Drew. I couldn't be more proud of the young man Drew has become.

HandsomeRyan
June 3rd, 2014, 10:17 AM
Ryan, I know all about Farragut. My son lived there and my 2 grandchildren graduated from Farragut High. He is in Loudon County now. Did you ride the Dragon? That seems to be the ultimate test for cyclists. Have a safe trip. My DS is on his way back to Arlington, VA, after a short visit.

My wife and I are both FHS class of 03' and yes, the Dragon is where I used to ride a lot.

Navy Wife
June 3rd, 2014, 10:41 AM
My granddaughter is a year older than you. Her name was Jenny Peck.

EmmaB
June 3rd, 2014, 10:56 AM
Mini Cooper smiles and puppy breath! What a great start to the day!!!!!!!

Bubby
June 3rd, 2014, 10:58 AM
Morning Everyone,

Blondie, keep fighting the good fight with your clutter! In our case it's a junky garage. Jeff and I are both super neat but we just don't have enough storage room. We are going to build a big shed with shelves and that will solve the issue. Until that time our garage is a disgrace! This morning I worked out there trying to find room for things that came out of the shed at the old house. I knew we have a lot of stuff but this is ridiculous. I should bite the bullet and have a yard sale but it's too hot and humid right now. Maybe this Fall would be a good time....nothing like procrastination!

Monique when I do scalloped binding I fold both ends of the binding so they meet but don't overlap. From the fold on both pieces of the binding trim to 1/4". Put the strips together and sew a full 1/4" seam and that should do it. If the binding is too loose, take a little larger seam.

I have to sign papers today for the sale of the house and Thursday will be the closing.

Wishing everyone a great day.

auntiemern
June 3rd, 2014, 12:07 PM
Ahhh. Clutter. I so need to declutter and clean the spare bedroom. it started out as a guest room, then the kids room, with their toys included, most recently a place to put the huge amount of fabric I have managed to get from down stairs to upstairs. At this point I can barely move in there, and am scared to death I am going to fall in there again. I did once and landed on a pile of PICU quilts.
I just can't do that kind of massive purge while DH is here, and I can't physically do all of it by myself. UGHHHH.
Yesterday I got the biggest part of a new quilt top for my youngest GD put together. I am calling it Tic Tac Toe, build as you go. She 'designed the middle, and I have just added to it so it is big enough to cover her up. I will post pics when I am finished.
Off to head to DD's. I have the kids all day. Hugs and blessings to all. Prayers for those in need.

alliek
June 3rd, 2014, 12:39 PM
First: Blondie, Good for you, I'm always trying to get "stuff" out of the house, It manages to get to the garage!! I too have a basement to go through, I think I'll do that this summer too. By the way, when does summer begin???
Second: Pam: That puppy is so sweet, I would love her, but since I'm the only one in the house that wouldn't mind a pup, guess that isn't going to happen. He/she is a beautiful dog. God Bless
Third: Ryan: That little guy sure is handsome and looks like a real sweetie. Nothing like a baby to bring a smile to your heart and face. Enjoy the weekend.

Mimis-quilts
June 3rd, 2014, 12:59 PM
Blondie...this is great! You sound like my kinda gal! When we decided to get my long-arm and convert the attic space above the garage to my sewing area it meant cleaning it out. There was so much junk in there...oh my! There was a pile of things that belonged to my stepson...gave him fair warning and he actually came to see his dad this past weekend and took it home with him. There was an old wheelchair, to small for either of us to fit in, 2 bedside commodes, and a walker, all that belonged to my husbands sister that is deceased...he couldn't let go of it, until now. All of it went to the Goodwill. There were other things that were for lack of better words, just junk that needed to be disposed of. Well, it was great feeling getting rid of all of that stuff.

You know, I used to wonder why my mother went through periods where she would just start getting rid of things...once again the light bulb came on and I now understand.

Today is a special day for me...34 years ago I gave birth to a 8 lb 9 oz, 21 inch, baby boy. Who is now a 6' 7" man. He is and always has been the light of my life.

This weeks homework is done...I have the rest of today and tomorrow to go to my little piece heaven and work on a quilt. Yeah!

Have a great day everyone!

"Yesterday was a very productive day for me. I tackled the junk room - no, not the basement junk room, the junk room that my hubs like to dump everything in that he doesn't know where things belong junk room. How much junk was in there? About two days of cleaning worth. I have the back of my pick up truck loaded with contributions and the trash can out back loaded down as well. In all honesty, I've contributed to the mess as well. In fact, I may joke about how messy my house is, but there is reason I suppose.

I think it all started when my first one left home. It was like that first jump into cold water - and then the other two left shortly behind. That sort of happens when you have 3 kids in four years. It was the first time in our marriage that Luscious and I were alone, which was nice. And shortly after that my parent's health went into a nose dive. All of a sudden, I didn't have time, didn't care, missed my kids, missed my life and oh yeah, who gives a fig about what's behind closed doors when it is just the two of us?

It got to where we forgot where things were. Sort of like, what's behind door number 3 - lol. No, it wasn't to the hoarding stage, heaven forbid, but it got to the point where we both have decided no more hit and miss. It has got to be done. The basement will be the most dramatic since everyone in the family stores stuff down there. We are the only one with a basement. I've been through this once before and will give everyone fair warning. If they don't arrive and remove their forgotten junk by a certain date it is going to the dump. Oh yeah, I can do this.

Reckon you know now how I will be spending my summer."

Over40momma
June 3rd, 2014, 01:12 PM
:icon_wave: through the liquid sunshine falling right now. Rain may not be friends to my joints, but my plants sure need a healthy drink. We've been watering but our backyard is like the Sahara Desert....blistering sun all day. So now my roses are nodding their heads having a shower while the pansies play peek-a-boo in their leaves. This works for me as I have to mop the floor but humidity is so high, it won't dry. LOL So that gets put to another day. hehe

De-cluttering. The word sends shivers up and down my spine. I am a hoarder, I know it, and refuse to get help. Every few months, my alter ego takes over and the "D" word goes on a rampage that would make King Kong look like a wuss. Hubby assures me it is just a symptom of menopause and I should get some meds for it. I married a hoarder...he too claims they are treasures and not junk (uh huh dear); spawned two children who make our hoarding look as if we are novices and a house that was built back in the early 50's with no visible means of storage. Three closets in a whole house does not warrant the word 'storage' in any known universe.
But to be horribly honest, hubby has been slowly clearing out his treasures and finding some really interesting stuff (like 2 bottles of whiskey that are now 30 years older than when they were purchased!!!!) And my dear children try hard, but they are still young enough that everything they touch is "a special treasure". (Genetics can really hit you in the backside :o) It is a battle, but slowly we are seeing progress and I have found floor in every room! :icon_woohoo:
Now I will bid you all a good and blessed day as I go ponder the eternal question: Where the heck does it all come from?
:icon_hug:

HandsomeRyan
June 3rd, 2014, 01:31 PM
My granddaughter is a year older than you. Her name was Jenny Peck.

I looked her up. I do not believe that we knew each other but in a school with 2,500ish people there were a lot of folks I did not know. Wife said, "Name sounds familiar?" but didn't really seem to recognize her either. We mostly hung out with band people (I played trombone and my wife was a trumpet player) but I don't even think I knew all the band people by name.

Fun fact: My older brother dated the girl who is pictured next to her in what would be her senior [my junior] yearbook.

Navy Wife
June 3rd, 2014, 03:14 PM
It's a small world! She was a cheerleader, and only played in the band in middle school, using our youngest son's sax. I think she used it one year, then passed it on to our other granddaughter in IL. It would have been a real surprise if you had known her.

It will be fun watching your sweet son grow up. The babies in our family live in Huntsville, Atlanta, and Chicago. I missed out on the grandchildren growing up as we lived in Memphis, and DH was still working. I look forward to lots of pictures, along with all the rest of our group!

GrammaBabs
June 3rd, 2014, 04:48 PM
Oh boy,, another Mr. Sweetie Pie for me to smile over...:),, I have none and so enjoy seeing all the baby pictures!
Good Morning All,

I love the big screen tv in the garage!! My husband is the same way, he finds it very hard to part with anything. I, on the other hand, am not a saver. My kids tease me about throwing everything away but I remind them, they will thank me for not being a saver when I am gone.

Ryan, that Sawyer (Mr. Mayor) is just adorable. Glad you noticed a "kink in his neck" and got it taken care of. Good luck driving, the family will be thrilled to see him!

The only sewing I have been doing is with scraps. A friend gave me a huge tote full of scraps. I've been sewing them onto 10x10 inch papers from M* to make blocks. I'm determined to get rid of as much as possible before I start another project. I have one other project going that I hope to finish this Thursday when I go to our guild sew day.

I got to go see my grand baby yesterday. Here is a picture of Carter with my son, Drew. I couldn't be more proud of the young man Drew has become.