PDA

View Full Version : Wild Rabbits - Any suggestions how to get rid of them?

JCY
June 2nd, 2014, 10:30 PM
I live in a residential neighborhood of our city. We have at least 3 large adult rabbits, & 1 baby rabbit that are almost daily visitors to our yard. I just read an article about how destructive they are to lawns, plantings, even shrubs. Our yard is surrounded by chain link fencing, but they squeeze under the gate, or dig under the fence. I've given up trying to get rid of them. I've had to fix it so they can't dig under the sheds. I heard blood meal would discourage them, so I spread some of that around the shed. Maybe some of you have some helpful hints? JCY

Sandy Navas
June 2nd, 2014, 11:15 PM
A big dog? I think our cats keep them away here - we're pretty much out in the country but very seldom see one.

bubba
June 2nd, 2014, 11:22 PM
I know moth balls keep cats away....might want to give that a try. When we had our tent trailer we hung the cakes in there and it keep out the woodland critters when we weren't there.

BobW
June 2nd, 2014, 11:26 PM
I Googled "Rabbit Repellant" and this is what I got:

Homemade Rabbit Repellent

Making homemade rabbit repellent is a simple, yet effective way to keep rabbits out of your garden. To know more about how to make rabbit repellent, read on.

Rabbits are small mammals that belong to the family leporidae. They are herbivorous animals that mainly feed on grass and leafy weeds. These small and beautiful creatures can however, wreak havoc on your garden. But, nowadays, several rabbit repellents are manufactured commercially to help gardeners to protect their plants from rabbits and deer.

These rabbit repellents basically work in two ways to keep rabbits and deer out of your flower and vegetable garden. They either produce a smell or taste, quite repulsive for the rabbits, and thereby help to protect your garden from the invasion of rabbits. However, these commercial repellents are not only expensive and require repeated applications, some of them may contain chemicals that can pose some health hazards to your pets. However, homemade repellents are not only inexpensive, but a safe alternative to the commercial repellents.

How to Make Homemade Rabbit Repellent

Homemade repellants are either odor based or taste based. They can be easily made with some readily available household substances like pepper, garlic, eggs, milk, chili, etc.

Garlic Powder and Hot Chili Mixture: One such repellent can be made by mixing garlic powder with hot pepper or chili. After mixing these ingredients properly, add some water and leave the mixture for two to three days. Then strain it and add a few drops of liquid dishwashing soap. Now, you can spray this solution on the plants of your vegetable and flower gardens with a spray bottle.
Cayenne Pepper and Tabasco Sauce: Another homemade repellent can be prepared by mixing cayenne peppers with tabasco sauce, dishwashing soap and water. You can also add Elmer's glue to this and then spray this mixture on the leaves of the plants.
Egg and Garlic Mixture: Rabbits have a keen sense of smell, and they particularly dislike the smell of egg and garlic. So, you can make a mixture of egg, milk, garlic, tabasco sauce and liquid dishwashing soap to protect your garden from the rabbits.
Sprinkle Chili Powder: Sometimes, sprinkling some chili powder on the base of the plants can be equally beneficial in protecting your garden plants from the invasion of rabbits.

Place Bone Meal: Placing blood meal or bone meal around the plants has also shown some efficacy in controlling the menace of rabbits.

Linseed Oil and Detergent Mixture: Many people have benefited from the use of a rabbit repellent that can be made by combining raw linseed oil, detergent and water. The proportion of linseed oil in this solution should be larger than that of water and detergent.
Vinegar: A very simple way to keep rabbits away from your garden is to place some corn cobs soaked in vinegar. Egg and vinegar also work well if placed on the border of the garden.

Mint, Garlic, and Egg Mixture: As rabbits do not like the taste of garlic and mint, both can be combined with eggs to make an effective rabbit repellent.

Rabbit Repellent Products: Apart from the homemade repellents, some organic gardeners have successfully used liquid fence rabbit repellent products, which are claimed as natural, biodegradable, rain-resistant and pet friendly animal repellents.

Planting Herbs and Plants: Many gardeners have also benefited from planting certain plants in their garden. They can be termed as natural pest repellent. Such herbs or plants include foxgloves or digitalis, aconitum, catnip plants, etc. Even aromatic plants like lavender can act as a rabbit repellent, though we find its smell quite pleasing to our senses.

As far the efficacy of these rabbit repellents is concerned, it depends on various factors like frequency of application and availability of food. Heavy rain can affect their efficacy by reducing the intensity of both taste and odor. Therefore, it is important to reapply these repellents after a heavy shower. Wear gloves whenever you apply the repellent as it contains chili and pepper. The effectiveness of homemade repellents also depends on the population of rabbits and availability of food. In case of severe food shortage, rabbits may eventually learn to tolerate the smell and taste of these repellents. In such a situation, you may need the help of other methods like placing simple chicken wire fence or electric fence and rabbit traps, depending on the severity of the problem.

Hope this may help.

ilive2craft2
June 2nd, 2014, 11:37 PM
We have a big dog (95 lb golden retriever) and we have several families of rabbits living in our yard - some under the shed, others had nests in the yard, which we found while mowing - they were empty, due to the late start on mowing this year. Had 5 bunnies in the front yard at one time just the other night. We have fences up around our trellis, so they don't eat the cucumbers, gourds or clematis, but they stay away from my pots of lantana. Some of the hostas have taken a beating this year, but not others. We just have fun watching the dog chase them - he never catches them - he doesn't see well anymore, so they are halfway across the yard before he spots them... :)

JCY
June 3rd, 2014, 12:02 AM
Thanks, Bob, for the research & tips. A dog is not an option. I have a very large yard with a lot of flower beds. Spraying for the rabbits would be a daunting task for me. I can't even find time to spray the weeds! I'm the caregiver for my husb. who has chronic health problems, & I pretty much have to do almost everything around here. Now if the rabbits would have discriminating tastes & just eat the dandelions, wouldn't that be great. JCY

Sheena
June 3rd, 2014, 02:52 AM
How to get rid of rabbits:

Equipment:
Gun
knife (sharp)
Thick strong string
onion
herbs
carrots
potatoes

Method:
Put some lettuce or other leaves in the middle of the lawn.
Put cartridge in gun
Lie in wait until rabbits appear
Shoot them
Slit neck with sharp knife and use strong string to hang them upside down to drain.
Remove head, guts and fur. Cut off feet.
Wash thoroughly
Cut body into smaller pieces if preffered.
Put in pan with veg.
Cook.
Eat.

Crusty bread is optional.

Delicious!

BobW
June 3rd, 2014, 04:15 AM
You could always invite Elmer Fudd to spend a few days at your house Wabbit Hunting. LOL

JCY
June 3rd, 2014, 09:57 AM
If we didn't live in the city, you can bet these rabbits would have be history! No can shoot firearms in the city. :( JCY

Annette Ackley
June 3rd, 2014, 10:06 AM
My friend had a Wood chuck in her garage and couldn't get him out. So, she sprinkled epson salts around in her garage. It got rid of him and he won't come in. Maybe that would work around your fence line to keep them out. Good luck with the problem.

irishrn
June 3rd, 2014, 10:39 AM
My 88 pound chocolate lab was a great rabbit detergent until she started bringing rabbit body parts into the house as a present. She is too old now to catch them but I would prefer a deterrent rather than killing them and bring them home. They have their place in the Eco system so I guess it is better to deny them access to your garden than killing them! I'd go for the chicken wire or some smelly deterrent!!
;)

Pandabear
June 3rd, 2014, 12:03 PM
I have 3 dogs and they do squat at preventing deer, rabbits, possums and squirrels from hanging out in the yard.

Perhaps Animal Control would have some advice on rabbit infestations.

vchale
June 3rd, 2014, 12:14 PM
The area we live in is called Conejo Valley and in case you don't know that's the Spanish word for rabbit. It's almost impossible to keep them out of your yard but as long as the coyotes, owls, hawks, etc are eating rabbits instead of my little dog I'll live with them. In our front yards most people only have plants or flowers that the rabbits don't eat.

HandsomeRyan
June 3rd, 2014, 04:40 PM
Remington Subsonic Ammo 22 Long Rifle 38 Grain Lead Hollow Point (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/383954/remington-subsonic-ammunition-22-long-rifle-38-grain-lead-hollow-point-subsonic-box-of-500-10-boxes-50)

This is what I use. The subsonics are not as loud as conventional .22 rounds and since ideally you only have to pull the trigger once, it just sounds like a car backfiring or something. Still plenty of power to cleanly kill a rabbit without undue suffering.

/Good luck!

K. McEuen
June 3rd, 2014, 05:11 PM
Remington Subsonic Ammo 22 Long Rifle 38 Grain Lead Hollow Point (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/383954/remington-subsonic-ammunition-22-long-rifle-38-grain-lead-hollow-point-subsonic-box-of-500-10-boxes-50)

This is what I use. The subsonics are not as loud as conventional .22 rounds and since ideally you only have to pull the trigger once, it just sounds like a car backfiring or something. Still plenty of power to cleanly kill a rabbit without undue suffering.

/Good luck!

Haha, you know, I had refrained from commenting on this thread, because my first thought was "a .22."

A wrist rocket could work if you are in city limits.

asta
June 3rd, 2014, 05:19 PM
A live trap works well also, set it in the evening and by morning you will have rabbit ready to clean! As my Grandma used to say...Anything tastes good in the crock pot with a can of cream of chicken soup!

WendyI
June 3rd, 2014, 09:53 PM
You throw in the towel now and feed them. NOTHING gets rid of rabbits...trust me I have tried EVERYTHING!! I finally just gave up and decided to let them eat what they will and whatever they don't I'll get more of! I had a big dog...and he was FAST...didn't matter one bit. Rabbits are EVIL!!!

WendyI
June 3rd, 2014, 09:54 PM

/Good luck!

Love, love, LOVE this idea also! and I am an animal lover!! But rabbits are the bane of my existence!!!

JCY
June 3rd, 2014, 09:58 PM
Well, Epsom salts would sure be cheaper than the blood meal & some of those other remedies. Maybe it wouldn't wash away as quickly as some of the other things. With the sprinkler system running 3 days/wk., most any remedy won't last long.

I bought my supply of flowers today & asked the grower if she had any rabbit problems. No, but she had deer problems. They come into the display area, which adjacent to a field, & eat off the blossoms of the perennials. They even saw a bear last Sept. after our flooding. JCY